Page 1 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

yingyyanging
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Feb 2015, 7:11 am

How come a lot of people on the spectrum can play musical instruments so well? You have to have good eye-hand coordination to play and i thought people with asd hand poor motor-skills etc.

Also, if someone has sensory issues involving sound, such as, being hypersensitive to sound, would they be able to play on a drum kit?

pirrouline
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Feb 2015, 10:52 am

My larger motor skills aren't great (I sometimes bump into corners or miss picking objects up), but I can play piano, draw, and have decent handwriting. I also have NVLD and I shouldn't be able to do things like that, but I've heard that "asymmetry" of motor skills like I have is more of an autistic trait.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 12:04 pm

I've heard the poor fine motor skills thing before too. It seems accurate enough for my son, less so for me.

My fine motor skills were assessed several years ago in a battery of tests and they were "low average". However, I have very neat handwriting, can draw well (only things I can see), and play clarinet and violin.

Being able to draw real life very well is another stereotype...which conflicts with poor motor skills. ;)

It sounds to me like you want to play drums and want to know if it's worth it. I vote yes.

While I admit, that I tried to play in a handbell choir and had to quit due to sensory overstimulation, learning to play an instrument is well worth the effort! I think it depends on your motivation. If it's to learn to play drums--do it. If it's to connect with someone else who plays drums--maybe, but keep your options open.

Will you be learning by yourself, with an instructor, in a group, or in a band? (None of these options are bad, but it helps to make a plan that works for you.)

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 5:44 pm

No, you need good ear-hand coordination. You don't look at your fingers when you play.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 5:46 pm

I can play bass and some guitar. I don't know how to read music, I learn by ear.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 5:48 pm

I play guitar fairly decently.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 6:52 pm

I've played guitar for a while and I did have ASD related issues to start with. My tutor insisted I use a pick and I HATED the pick because I could hear it scraping on the strings and to me it sounded horrible. All I could hear was scrape, scrape, scrape instead of the music. I ended up parting with my tutor and teaching myself fingerstyle methods.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 8:27 pm

I´ve been a classical guitarplayer.
After that, I played the harpsicord, byt I have returned to playing piano, which I played all along for studying reasons and I love it. I have been granted practising time in our church, where they have a wonderful grand piano. Luxury!

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 8:32 pm

I'm an above average sax player, serious about it.

There's a big difference in how fast I can play notes (and very often in the right place), and my general physical and social presence, which is ungainly.

I find that being onstage is nothing like functioning in society at all, the interaction is through the music and the sound.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 8:39 pm

You have interesting aspects. I can't play any musical instrument. You must like Baroque music.

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 8:41 pm

The only peace I have found in this life, better than sex, better than drugs, is bicycle guitaring. It is a meditation in motion for me, a form of yoga. I am only graceful on the bicycle, and nowadays after decades of doing this find it much more difficult to ride without a guitar than with one. Off the bicycle I am very clumsy, very poor hand eye coordination. But as an earlier poster pointed out, with music what is more important is hand EAR coordination. I play by ear and cannot read music. This is one of my original songs just recorded last week. I am getting older and do not know how much longer I will be able to continue doing this, but I hope to continue until the day I die.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 2:48 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You have interesting aspects. I can't play any musical instrument. You must like Baroque music.
If it is me, you are answering...Yes indeed! And renaissance music. What about you. I believe, you like jazz. You just mentioned it to someone as a special comfort....or was it blues?

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 3:06 pm

Many autistics have a specific thing that they are really talented in. I've read about a lot of autistics who are really good at drawing, and the same is probably true for music.

I am not one of those people. I don't have very good fine motor skills. I can play the clarinet, but it took me a lot of practice to learn how to play, and I still am not very good.

Boo Radley
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 3:07 pm

I picked up piano when I was about 10 because the chord patterns were easy to see. I got a chord book and learned all the triads in the various keys and then I learned all their inversions. Next, I expanded to jazz and started experimenting with 7th, 9ths, 11ths, and onward and upward. I have a heavy sensitivity to sound and I believe that helped as well.

I later picked up guitar, bass, and various percussion instruments when I was playing and touring (no bands you have ever heard of). I also learned to sing back-up and harmonize. It was tough on stage (sound sensitivity) but I usually wore earplugs. If my monitor was too loud I could not play properly. My ears still ring from tinnnitus. I should have worn the earplugs more often.

I want to learn how to play the accordion but I'm afraid I'll drive my wife crazy.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 3:14 pm

I like old jazz.. and old blues...

My great uncle was a ragtime/early jazz composer.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 3:26 pm

Wow! What´s his name?