Do you mentally disappear if you're in a bad situation?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 5:08 pm

For example if your being hurt or if you want to leave somewhere but there is not a way out; do you stop feeling emotions and stop processing what's happening and go into an imaginary world or something? Or stop talking and moving? I wonder how many other people are like this. When I was a kid I used to be this way.

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 5:19 pm

That's tough... I spent most of my childhood in an imaginary world! :lol:

Nowadays, though, I mostly retreat into my own brain when I'm feeling overwhelmed or stressed. This often looks like a shutdown on the outside, but my thoughts are often very rich!

If I'm in a bad situation that is unsafe, I will usually try to escape it as quickly as possible.

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 5:42 pm

I usually watch a lot of TV in a depressed state

GodzillaWoman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 6:15 pm

i was abused physically and emotionally as a kid (into teen years), and i would go into what i called the Mist when it was happening. My senses would all shut down (especially pain), everything would feel very far away, and my emotions would all shut down, as though a fog was obscuring my feelings and thoughts. i couldn't really think or feel anything, or hardly even move. I still do that sometimes if i'm really scared or upset, although there are times when i've felt threatened (I was grabbed from behind by a guy in college) in which i go the opposite way, going all berserk-o, punching, kicking, and biting. Yep, i bit a guy in college. But he had it coming :wink:

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Mar 2015, 6:32 pm

I've learned to call it "dissociate" (sp?) - I'm elsewhere and can't be more specific than that. But I definitely "leave", although not physically. My childhood was rough and I guess that's when I learned it. The last time I did it was during an MRI - I just visited some pink mountains for a while. The technicians were very impressed. But when I'm alone and safe again - collapse time!

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 7:42 pm

starfox wrote:
For example if your being hurt or if you want to leave somewhere but there is not a way out; do you stop feeling emotions and stop processing what's happening and go into an imaginary world or something? Or stop talking and moving? I wonder how many other people are like this. When I was a kid I used to be this way.

That is called disassociation and it is the third most common psychological health issue, right behind anxiety and depression. There is a lot of variety in the experience and can be more severe or less severe.
You may want to talk to a therapist, or maybe not.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 7:53 pm

I would say that I have always tended to trip away to la la land when things were getting rough.

- Albert Einstein

Evil_Chuck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Mar 2015, 12:32 am

I wish I could do that. But I just shut off externally while being very much aware of things internally. My anxiety issues make disassociation almost impossible.

FUNNY DEATH METAL LYRICS OF THE WEEK: 'DEMON'S WIND' BY VADER
Clammy frog descends
Demon's wind, the stars answer your desire
Join the undead, that's the place you'll never leave
You wanna die... but death cannot do us apart...

abeautifulmind
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Mar 2015, 2:02 am

During mild anxiety or anything that upsets me in a mild form, yes. But if the situation is grave, I panic, start over-thinking and over-analyzing.

DarkAscent
Toucan
Toucan

30 Mar 2015, 2:13 am

I think this happened to me last week.

I remember feeling extremely angry and hurt towards someone and knew that it was going to build up into a huge meltdown if I didn't do anything soon. It was at lunch break in school and I couldn't find a quiet place. I shut down at the beginning of biology class (I laid my head on my desk and closed my eyes). I don't know how to describe it. I could hear the teacher's voice and my classmates calling out to me but they felt far away. It felt like I was between consciousness and sleep, like limbo.