Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 3:11 am

Mild, I'm close to normal.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 4:48 am

My autism has been described as both moderate and profound. I would like to have my impairments cured.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 1:51 pm

I'm not that Autistic. My AS symptoms are complex, scattered around, and overlapping. Sometimes I feel like I have a bit of everything; ADHD, personality disorder, Dyspraxia, learning difficulties, and depression and anxiety issues. The most noticeable ones are the ADHD and anxiety issues. So nobody suspects ASD.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 6:01 pm

I guess moderate.
Got assessed with 68% disability, which means severily disabled in the system of disability.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

Agemaki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Apr 2015, 6:19 pm

I was undiagnosed most of my life got by without accommodations. I had no developmental delays as a child and I generally excelled at school. I suppose one could argue that the fact that my disability was not recognized suggests that I was "mild." Certainly by the normalcy standards of public education you were "normal" enough to not require attention if you could talk and write your name. Is everyone who is diagnosed as an adult "mild" by virtue of the fact that they escaped diagnosis in their early years?

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 7:14 pm

Moderate autism, multiple delays, severe dyspraxia...supports needed for my autism.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 7:33 pm

For challenging behaviors severe enough to need close monitoring and support.

sweeToxic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Apr 2015, 8:42 pm

I'd say mild/moderate, depending on my mood. Also, I don't want to be cured. I've learned to just embrace being autistic because it's taught me so much. While, there can be worse times... I try to look at the bright side. I also do have ADHD, severe anxiety, developmental delays and possible dyspraxia. It is hard to hold down a job, hence why I have disability income. I also can't attend college either because my special needs in a college setting would be considered more moderate to severe if combined.

ylevental
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Apr 2015, 11:41 pm

sweeToxic wrote:
I'd say mild/moderate, depending on my mood. Also, I don't want to be cured. I've learned to just embrace being autistic because it's taught me so much. While, there can be worse times... I try to look at the bright side. I also do have ADHD, severe anxiety, developmental delays and possible dyspraxia. It is hard to hold down a job, hence why I have disability income. I also can't attend college either because my special needs in a college setting would be considered more moderate to severe if combined.

You can't attend college or hold down a job, yet you DON'T want to be cured?

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2015, 12:57 am

I would say moderate because I have trouble taking care of myself and I wader off at times and I have trouble in school.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2015, 3:20 am

Agemaki wrote:
I was undiagnosed most of my life got by without accommodations. I had no developmental delays as a child and I generally excelled at school. I suppose one could argue that the fact that my disability was not recognized suggests that I was "mild." Certainly by the normalcy standards of public education you were "normal" enough to not require attention if you could talk and write your name. Is everyone who is diagnosed as an adult "mild" by virtue of the fact that they escaped diagnosis in their early years?

I was diagnosed when I was 8, which I don't understand, because I am very mild. I developed typically as a baby and showed no signs to cause concern to my parents. I feel that being diagnosed at 8 is way too early for someone like me. And I'm female too. Usually females go unnoticed.

FlyingSpaceKittie
Raven
Raven

27 Apr 2015, 2:03 am

Mild in some areas, moderate in others. I have less meltdowns than I used to because being homeless forces me to be around people more than I prefer most of the time. Unfortunately they are replaced with more shutdowns, I noticed that when stressed out or facing too much sensory overload I can barely speak, when I do it's barely audible. I function better after spending some time alone to recover and being around people I'm comfortable with. I don't want to be cured, I just want more people to accept that there are some parts about myself I can't change. I find that I function better when I don't haveto deal with the stress of either feeling like I have to explain stupid crap such as a face I wasn't aware making or trying to appear more "normal" to get people to leave me alone.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 2:25 am

FlyingSpaceKittie wrote:
Mild in some areas, moderate in others. I have less meltdowns than I used to because being homeless forces me to be around people more than I prefer most of the time.

That's crappy; I hope you get housing soon. I was homeless up until four months ago, and I lived in my van, and then a tent on the outskirts of town rather than deal with shelters and transitional shelters and that sort of stuff. Living with other people is unbearable.

FlyingSpaceKittie
Raven
Raven

27 Apr 2015, 4:16 am

starkid wrote:
FlyingSpaceKittie wrote:
Mild in some areas, moderate in others. I have less meltdowns than I used to because being homeless forces me to be around people more than I prefer most of the time.

That's crappy; I hope you get housing soon. I was homeless up until four months ago, and I lived in my van, and then a tent on the outskirts of town rather than deal with shelters and transitional shelters and that sort of stuff. Living with other people is unbearable.

I hope I get housing too, I still need to take care of some issues in my life first. I'd rather live in a tent instead of a shelter but I'd have to be careful not to get arrested since it's considered a crime to sleep outside in many parts of Texas. I also feel really gross and sluggish if I don't shower enough, I'm hoping I can find a decent roommate until then. I got my SSI back so I can help out with bills and food. I'm staying with a friend who respects my privacy and doesn't pressure me to socialize if I don't feel up to it, but he's moving once he graduates college.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 6:47 am

Joe90 wrote:
Agemaki wrote:

I was diagnosed when I was 8, which I don't understand, because I am very mild. I developed typically as a baby and showed no signs to cause concern to my parents. I feel that being diagnosed at 8 is way too early for someone like me. And I'm female too. Usually females go unnoticed.

Opposite situation for me. I cried very little as a baby, I showed all the signs of autism as a toddler (e.g. stacking, collecting, lack of imaginary play and interaction with other kids etc) other than speech delay and yet I'm only just getting diagnosed. My parents never flagged it up because they saw it as a "personality". :roll: Also my mum has a distorted view; the only high functioning people with autism she knows are at her work - in science, very smart, very high functioning people. Those people right at the edge of the autistic spectrum are what she believes I have. She seems to see it as something you "grow out of". I'm undergoing a process now that should have happened 15 years ago, and as such I haven't had early intervention needed and my life is pretty screwed at the moment. :| The people at CAHMS can't understand why not only did my parents never flag this up, but the school never did either. Being a girl sucks.

ylevental
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Apr 2015, 8:28 am

iliketrees wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Agemaki wrote:

Opposite situation for me. I cried very little as a baby, I showed all the signs of autism as a toddler (e.g. stacking, collecting, lack of imaginary play and interaction with other kids etc) other than speech delay and yet I'm only just getting diagnosed. My parents never flagged it up because they saw it as a "personality". :roll: Also my mum has a distorted view; the only high functioning people with autism she knows are at her work - in science, very smart, very high functioning people. Those people right at the edge of the autistic spectrum are what she believes I have. She seems to see it as something you "grow out of". I'm undergoing a process now that should have happened 15 years ago, and as such I haven't had early intervention needed and my life is pretty screwed at the moment. :| The people at CAHMS can't understand why not only did my parents never flag this up, but the school never did either. Being a girl sucks.

Same with me, though I don't see what gender has to do with it, as I'm a guy. In high school, my teachers shared this disorted view and scolded me a lot for being lazy. I did too and blamed myself a lot : (