Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 5:58 pm

What ASD traits do you NOT have?

I don't have the social ineptitude that seems to plague most. I'm very outgoing, talkative----I LOVE being a waitress, for instance.....

I'm not that good at math. I can do the real basic stuff, in my head, very easily----but, anything beyond fractions, is a mystery to me. I didn't learn fractions until I was in my 30s----or, late 20s. I feel I didn't learn them in school, cuz nobody told me why. We were just talking about this the other day, on here, somewhere..... I'm thinking because we ASDers are so logical-thinking, we just can't have somebody tellin' us "do this, to get that"----it needs to be explained WAAAAAAY better, than that. When I was older, and out of school (even, after I graduated college), something or other got me to a place where I, all-of-a-sudden, understood fractions. I've been on the Internet now, for about 20 years, and I often go to math websites, to do math problems. I LOVE math and science SOOOOOO much----I just wish I had a "better" brain, for it!!

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2015, 3:53 pm

Sarcasm is my native tongue.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2015, 6:58 pm

I don't know... i guess my voice isn't monotoned and i can understand tone of voice pretty well. Sarcasm, metaphors. I have a lot of empathy ( i think the fact that people with ASD lack empathy is a myth). i am a visual thinker however the only math im good at is Algebra. My I.Q is below average in most areas ( verbal, working memory and information processing) and i smiled a lot as a baby but as soon as i turned two smiles were rare. I enjoy being around people ( but my brain just cant handle it for very long)

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Cyllya1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 May 2015, 7:23 pm

I don't have restrictive interests.

I have no problem with metaphor and possible use metaphors too much.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2015, 8:30 pm

I sometimes have more empathy than most NTs. I can be insightful about other people, but I'm often quiet so people don't really know. My mind also drifts all over the place so it's hard to socialize. I can't really focus on a conversation because my mind gets easily bored and I start thinking onto all kinds of tangents.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 3:27 am

I'm innumerate.

boredome
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 4:32 am

Diagnostic Criteria for 299.00 Autism Spectrum Disorder

Persistent deficits in social communication and social interaction across multiple contexts, as manifested by the following, currently or by history (examples are illustrative, not exhaustive; see text):

Deficits in social-emotional reciprocity, ranging, for example, from abnormal social approach and failure of normal back-and-forth conversation; to reduced sharing of interests, emotions, or affect; to failure to initiate or respond to social interactions.
Yes, I fail at maintaining any kind of meaningful conversation with anyone.

Deficits in nonverbal communicative behaviors used for social interaction, ranging, for example, from poorly integrated verbal and nonverbal communication; to abnormalities in eye contact and body language or deficits in understanding and use of gestures; to a total lack of facial expressions and nonverbal communication.
Yes, people always tell me that my verbal / nonverbal communication is out of sync and such.

Deficits in developing, maintaining, and understand relationships, ranging, for example, from difficulties adjusting behavior to suit various social contexts; to difficulties in sharing imaginative play or in making friends; to absence of interest in peers.
I used to like being around people, and I had a bunch of friends when I was younger, but now those traits are stronger.

Severity is based on social communication impairments and restricted, repetitive patterns of behavior.

Restricted, repetitive patterns of behavior, interests, or activities, as manifested by at least two of the following, currently or by history (examples are illustrative, not exhaustive; see text):
Stereotyped or repetitive motor movements, use of objects, or speech (e.g., simple motor stereotypes, lining up toys or flipping objects, echolalia, idiosyncratic phrases).
I don't do this a lot. I can be kind of fidgety sometimes, but idk.

Insistence on sameness, inflexible adherence to routines, or ritualized patterns of verbal or nonverbal behavior (e.g., extreme distress at small changes, difficulties with transitions, rigid thinking patterns, greeting rituals, need to take same route or eat same food every day).
This isn't me at all. I get bored pretty quickly when I am doing the same things over and over again, and like to be spontaneous.

Highly restricted, fixated interests that are abnormal in intensity or focus (e.g., strong attachment to or preoccupation with unusual objects, excessively circumscribed or perseverative interests).
yes. My interest for almost a year has been computers, and that's basically the only thing that I've done for the whole year, is sit in front of my computer. Lol

Hyper- or hyporeactivity to sensory input or unusual interest in sensory aspects of the environment (e.g. apparent indifference to pain/temperature, adverse response to specific sounds or textures, excessive smelling or touching of objects, visual fascination with lights or movement).
Not really. I don't tend to notice what's in my environment much, just tune it all out.

CryosHypnoAeon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 May 2015, 6:15 am

Bookwormsophie,

Are you officially diagnosed ?

I have good hand-eye coordination too.
Also can do eye-contact. But not recently bc haven't been feeling good.

That's the worst in trying to get a diagnosis. Since I appear so "normal".

msnoname
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 May 2015, 6:31 am

I don't think I take things literally (at least, nobody has pointed this out yet), and I'm a sarcastic person. My dad is extremely sarcastic so I think, if I do have AS, that I was so exposed to it that I had to learn it? I don't know how these things work...

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 6:39 am

-People think I am outgoing, nice person when they first met me because I always smile("blank face expression" got replaced by an automated smile, I smile even when I am actually sad or angry which leads to misunderstandings...).
-My voice isn't monotone (but it has "foreign accent" characteristics).
-I like social interaction (but I must take in small doses or else I end up in a shutdown).
-I don't have social phobia.
-I can imagine what someone might feel(but I cannot read it from facial expression).
-I like thinking "what if?".
-I never had speech delay. Actually I was an early speaker (4-5 word sentences by age 2).
-I use sarcasm. But I don't always realize when others are using it.
-I never had trouble with idioms. I was able to figure out the meaning by myself(for example polish version of "It's raining cats and dogs" is "It's raining frogs", when I first heard it I imagined frogs falling from the sky and then jumping all around the ground and I realized they make the water splash just as the huge drops do) and if something still wouldn't make sense I was asking my grandma(she is great with language) or Polish teacher what it means. I was interested in idioms.

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 7:19 am

I recognize faces really well.

I have learned to make some eye contact; it's not natural and I don't like it, but I can do it.

I have no food issues. The only texture issue with food for me is raw tomatoes or cooked okra. Ick! I also won't eat green beans, but that is because I hate the flavor.

I have learned to wear different colors when I used to wear only blue, grey or black. I wear only 100% cotton t-shirts and jeans, but the shirts are a bunch of different colors.

I have very limited interests, but no intense interest. Feels more like I'm NOT interested in almost anything.

I don't know if it's sympathy or empathy, but I have too much of it when it comes to physical pain. I can't stand seeing or thinking of anyone in pain, unless it's for a medical procedure that will improve their situation. I take no enjoyment in horror movies or haunted houses or the like because I can't stand the pain the victims went through, even when I know it's fake (like a rubber severed hand. It's not a real person's hand, but that kind of injury would be very painful.)

After a lot of study and learning and asking a lot of questions, I understand about 75% of normal humor (though I might not agree that something is humorous) and can even make jokes that other people think are funny. When I was a kid, there was nearly no overlap between my humor and other people's. I thought oddly-occurring strings of numbers were funny.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 11:18 am

I suppose that in Northern America I would be (mis)diagnosed with NVLD instead of AS(D). Some of (typical) ASD traits, which I do not have:

- I do not think that I had more severe theory of mind deficits, even as a child
- I am rather a verbal than visual thinker
- I don't have prosopagnosia
- Verbal skills are my strength
- I do not have panic attacks, shutdowns, meltdowns
- I do not need sameness, I do not like riding the same way so much
- I said first word before my first steps
- I am not overwhelmed by sensory stimuli, such as noises (but some of them may excite me)
- I do not have hypersensitivity to tags, many sounds, odors, normal lights