Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2014, 3:20 am

do you also have no idea how to start small talk and run out of subjects? i absolutely have no idea what to say to anyone. not only cant I start small talk, but dont know how to continue it once the other person has started it! dont know how to respond.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2014, 3:35 am

Yes to both. If I have something I want to talk about, I can do OK. If not, then, well, I've got nothing. I also have the problem of not reciprocating in casual conversation. For example, if someone asks me "what are you doing this weekend," I'll respond with my plans (if I have any), but I probably won't ask the other person about their plans unless I legitimately wanted to know.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2014, 3:37 am

I tend to say weird things probably with a weird tone/facial expression etc. So I tend to put people off very easily. And I don't even know exactly what's putting people off. I try to avoid getting into a situation where I'd have to have small talk. I may sometimes be ok for the first minute or so but eventually my weirdness slips out.

I never try to initiate small talk. If I know I'd make a fool of myself, why would I even think about starting it?