Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2009, 10:41 pm

pensieve wrote:
elderwanda wrote:
Actually, coffee puts me right to sleep. If I have a cup of coffee at 2 o'clock in the afternoon, next thing I know, I'm completely zonked until 5. I've never really notice much "stimulant" affect from it.

I only have coffee maybe once or twice a week. I drink a few cups of black tea (English style, with milk)every day, and it doesn't really seem to affect me physically, other that giving me the general feeling of satisfaction that I've had a nice cup of tea. It just "hits the spot". Tea has about a third of the caffeine as coffee (from what I remember of the chart on the side of the Tetley box).

Someone mentioned ADHD. I've never been tested for that, and am definitely NOT hyperactive, by any stretch of the imagination, but other than that I meet a lot of the ADD criteria. For whatever that's worth.

I thought the same thing but yesterday heard about inattentive ADHD - http://www.goaskmom.com/
I can really relate to the first few lines on that site. Maybe you could too.

Here's another one:
http://web4health.info/pl/adhd-def-inattentive.htm

I don't feel so bad about being a poor student at school now.

Oh, those things absolutely are like me! I'm really not sure it they would have described me before the age of 7, though. No teacher ever commented about me being disorganized, but back in those days, teachers didn't pay attention to students that way. I got mostly A's (until high school, when they started expecting us to organize, plan, take notes, do homework, do projects, keep track of 6 different classes, fend for ourselves at lunch...then I got C's and D's.)

gsilver
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 3:20 pm

I react poorly to caffeine, and avoided it almost entirely for many years.

Then, I had THAT job, and I tried everything I could think of to stay awake at work, which included coffee consumption. The negative effects (jittery, anxious, loosing sleep at night) were still there, but I fell asleep slightly less often at work. I figured that my sleep at night was horrible at night even without the caffeine, so it didn't make much of a difference.

Then, I discovered a coffee shop with an amazing Cappuccino. I started drinking coffee just for the taste.

Then I lost the job, but kept going to that shop. A month later, I gave up on trying to live there, and moved back to my home state.

Here, I haven't found anything nearly as good, but I kept at it for a while, before deciding that the expense and effects just weren't worth it.

I'm weening myself off of it. Only very rarely will I have a coffee during the week, and even then, decaf only. On Saturdays, at my D&D group (AKA, the big block of "not alone" time which constitutes over half of my socializing during the week, so there's no way in hell I'm missing it or leaving early) that lasts until 2:00AM or so, I'll have 2.

I know it's bad to stay up that late and also to consume coffee for someone with sleep problems like mine, but no one ever wants to hang out outside of group events, and it's a group event where I'm more or less accepted, and it happens every week.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 9:52 pm

Drinking coffee suppresses my appetite, causes me to be more alert to my surroundings, and calms my emotions when I'm upset. This, combined with recent readings of the diagnosis, causes me to wonder whether I'm actually aspie, or in fact ADHD-I (according to the writeup in the DSM-IV, one of the criteria for ADHD-I, inattentive ADD, is that it not occur "during the course of a pervasive developmental disorder" - like for instance Asperger's Syndrome).

It also tastes really yummy, especially with creamer, mocha frappe mix, and banana syrup... :)

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 10:06 pm

anonymousboy wrote:
I'm very self-aware and notice that I become nicer and mroe tollreant after drinking some coffee and I seem to have more confidence? This may be normal but I wondered if anyone else were the same? Also it makes me feel quite motivated too and feel like I can do just about anything I wanted and my life goals seem to be easier to reach? :\

It's probably normal but I get really anxious and wary when my mood changes, I know coffee is a strong stimulant but are these effects ok?

Except for the brief period between leaving bed and having my first large cup of coffee I do not know how I am without coffee. But a during this brief period I am the most unpleasurable, grim, bad tempered person on earth.

For the rest of the day, one cup of coffee follows the next one. It hard for me to image a day without a nearly constant impact of coffee.

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 10:11 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
Drinking coffee suppresses my appetite, causes me to be more alert to my surroundings, and calms my emotions when I'm upset.

Those are the normal effects of caffeine - there is a slight problem with caffeine that you can develop an addiction, but a caffeine addiction is not a real problem, because the substance is cheaply and legal available, socially accepted and being under the influence does not hinder you to function in society.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 10:27 pm

Dussel wrote:
DeaconBlues wrote:
Drinking coffee suppresses my appetite, causes me to be more alert to my surroundings, and calms my emotions when I'm upset.

Those are the normal effects of caffeine - there is a slight problem with caffeine that you can develop an addiction, but a caffeine addiction is not a real problem, because the substance is cheaply and legal available, socially accepted and being under the influence does not hinder you to function in society.

Yeah, but it'll make your boobs feel like beanbags. Oh wait, you won't have that problem. Never mind. :lol:

It's true though. Too much caffeine can cause breasts to get kind of lumpy inside. Completely harmless, but there it is. Can't imagine why I felt the need to mention it.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

26 Jun 2009, 10:35 pm

I don't have any reaction to coffee, good or bad.

NarfMann
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Jun 2009, 2:53 am

stevecam wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
stevecam wrote:
amphetamines are less harmful then coffee

In what way is coffee harmful (assuming that it is not consumed in excessive amounts)?

ruveyn

amphetamines dont build up toxins in the body like caffeine does

Toxin build up generally only happens when the body's normal metabolic functions are hindered in some way. Usually the only lasting effect that drugs of any type have on the body comes in the form of cell damage, and amphetamines certainly don't cause less cell damage than caffeine.

I believe you have been grossly misinformed about how the metabolic functions of the human body work, unless there's some information of which I am not aware. Please direct me to where you found your science so that I might be able to review it in case I am mistaken.

Uranus
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jun 2009, 4:00 am

Me without coffee = Zombie.

'Zombie' being the only way I can describe it. :wink:

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 4:55 am

NarfMann wrote:
stevecam wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
stevecam wrote:
amphetamines are less harmful then coffee

In what way is coffee harmful (assuming that it is not consumed in excessive amounts)?

ruveyn

amphetamines dont build up toxins in the body like caffeine does

Toxin build up generally only happens when the body's normal metabolic functions are hindered in some way. Usually the only lasting effect that drugs of any type have on the body comes in the form of cell damage, and amphetamines certainly don't cause less cell damage than caffeine.

The effects of caffeine are quite mild compared with amphetamines. You neither get a real rush with caffeine, nor the hunger feeling could be suppressed that you stop eating for three days nor you would loose your ability to make judgement with coffee.

I also never heart about a ruined existence because of a caffeine addiction ...

Caffeine is mild and nice drug - very suited to use every day.

So enjoy your coffee, if you like!

anonymousboy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Jun 2009, 9:28 pm

Thanks for the replies guys :)

anonymousboy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Jun 2009, 10:23 pm

It's good to know that it's normal to have these effects :)

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 9:56 pm

anonymousboy wrote:
I'm very self-aware and notice that I become nicer and mroe tollreant after drinking some coffee and I seem to have more confidence? This may be normal but I wondered if anyone else were the same? Also it makes me feel quite motivated too and feel like I can do just about anything I wanted and my life goals seem to be easier to reach? :\

It's probably normal but I get really anxious and wary when my mood changes, I know coffee is a strong stimulant but are these effects ok?

---

http://www.rsna.org/rsna/media/pr2005/Coffee.cfm (Short-term memory)(not a cure)
http://coffeescience.org/alert (Mental alertness)(not a cure)

ScottyN
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Aug 2010, 11:14 pm

I am very sensitive to the effects of caffeine, (as well as most drugs). I get jittery if I take too much at a time (3+cups or more). Overall, has a positive effect on my life and gets me active. I drink it every day.

ElfMusic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Aug 2010, 12:35 am

I have been diagnosed as co-morbid ADD-Inattentive type (along with Nonverbal Learning Disorder, although the diagnostic criteria that some use to differentiate NLD from AS, namely, special interests and ritual behaviour, apply to me as well- but that's another discussion) and coffee tends to have the following effects on me:

After 1 large mug of strong coffee, I'm relaxed, less anxious, and could go to sleep more easily if I wanted to.

After 2 mugs, I am alert and better able to focus on projects and conversations.

After 3 mugs, I'm scary happy, and avoid people who aren't as wired, lest I disturb them.

Now, after a big wooden mugful of iced toddy that has been cold-brewed from last night to mid-afternoon, I am in a state of bliss for the next 7 hours.

But I don't tend to have coffee everyday, because I'm picky about the quality. Living in the South of the U.S., I tend to drink iced tea religiously. When traveling to Ireland and Scotland a few years ago, that was one of the few home comforts I found myself missing, in spite of the fact that they do hot tea much better.

bubblygrl7

08 Nov 2010, 5:29 pm

Coffee makes me a lot more focused, it doesn't make relaxed it puts me on edge and make me twitchy and agitated. But I love it for its energy boosts. :twisted: