Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 3:31 am

I am starting to think that I don't have AS, but rather ASPD and SPD, but I can not figure it out.

I fit every single criteria for both ASPD and SPD, but not as much for Asperger's I believe. I stim a lot, I have sensory issues, I'm very clumsy, I have limited interests, but not obsessive like other Aspies, but I do not have extremely logical thinking, I do not have any repetitive behaviors or inflexible routines, and I'm generally more aware about my communicating than Aspies it seems, as in I function pretty normally, I just don't like people and prefer not to talk to them. Also, I think my difficulties with speech are because of cluttering rather than AS.

What do you guys think, could I still have Aspeger's Syndrome or is it likely something else?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

04 Feb 2011, 3:34 am

Do you have a conscience?

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 3:43 am

I would say no.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

04 Feb 2011, 4:54 am

That does sound more ASPDish.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 7:02 am

It doesn't sound like Aspie to me--most of us are interested in people--as long as it doesn't involve awkward social situations. And, if our special interest is involved, we might even pass for "normal."

Do you take things literally? We often have difficulty with lying or liars because we rely on everything being just as said--as opposed to NTs who can say one thing verbally and say something different non-verbally at the same time!

Robrecht
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Feb 2011, 8:35 am

Considering your age?

My guess is you're experiencing something called 'adolescence'. :P

Seriously though lack of interest in others is a common 'symptom' for Aspies in late puberty/early adolescence. It's often a response, conscious or sub-conscious, to one's environment (class- and age mates, family members of the same generation) becoming more social and therefore socially demanding. Overtly not caring about what others think or feel is a defence mechanism against this social overpressure because after a while, people identify one as 'anti-social' and decide not to try to engage one socially any more.

If I were you, I wouldn't go seeking re-diagnosis or drawing any conclusions about it until at the very least your hormonal chemistry and social environment stabilize a bit more.

And take note that some of those things are misleading.
For instance, cruelty to animals: Swatting flies or putting down ant-traps is not what they mean by cruelty to animals. Even though flies and ants are technically animals and killing them may seem cruel. What they mean is lighting cats on fire or torturing puppies.
Lack of remorse doesn't mean sometimes not feeling sorry about doing something wrong, nor does it mean not feeling sorry for doing something you didn't know was wrong. What they mean is doing something you know is wrong and not caring that it is wrong all the time.
Persistent Lying doesn't mean saying things you know aren't true (like using sarcasm or telling stories) or lying when you're under pressure. What they mean is lying compulsively and casually even when you're not under pressure or when you know that lying will gain you nothing and telling the truth will.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 9:47 am

dunbots wrote:
I am starting to think that I don't have AS, but rather ASPD and SPD, but I can not figure it out.

I fit every single criteria for both ASPD and SPD, but not as much for Asperger's I believe. I stim a lot, I have sensory issues, I'm very clumsy, I have limited interests, but not obsessive like other Aspies, but I do not have extremely logical thinking, I do not have any repetitive behaviors or inflexible routines, and I'm generally more aware about my communicating than Aspies it seems, as in I function pretty normally, I just don't like people and prefer not to talk to them. Also, I think my difficulties with speech are because of cluttering rather than AS.

What do you guys think, could I still have Aspeger's Syndrome or is it likely something else?

What is it about people you do not like? Why do you not like talking to them? What was your early childhood like? Did you have lots of friends? Logical thinking is not a criteria for an ASD.
If you are aware in your communication, you must have some interactions with people and talk to them sometimes...

If you found out you have a personality disorder, would you do anything about it? What would your plans be?

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 2:52 pm

BTDT wrote:
It doesn't sound like Aspie to me--most of us are interested in people--as long as it doesn't involve awkward social situations. And, if our special interest is involved, we might even pass for "normal."

Do you take things literally? We often have difficulty with lying or liars because we rely on everything being just as said--as opposed to NTs who can say one thing verbally and say something different non-verbally at the same time!

I do often take things literally, and have trouble with idioms and collocations and things like that, but I lie very frequently, and manipulate people, and am good at telling when someone is lying. Now that I am aware of why I try to make friends I don't bother trying to make relationships.

Robrecht, I do oftentimes feel very violent, I have a very short temper and am easily angered, but I have learned not to act on any impulses. But when I am angered I can lose control of myself, like one time when I almost broke a guys nose in 8th grade because he was pissing me off. Also, while I may not have any remorse for humans, strangely I do for other animals. While I may not have a conscience, I do understand that there are laws in place, and I don't want to go to jail; it wouldn't be very fun. :P

I do lie compulsively and casually, and I don't feel remorse because of it. As for being violent, I play a lot of first-person shooters, which helps takes out my anger. I'm not positive that I have ASPD, but I am very sure I have SPD: I fit every criteria except for having a fantasy world, which I make up for with my love for role-playing games, which I play all the time and feel a part of.

Ana, what I don't like about people is that most are babbling idiots, and I don't want to talk to them because of that, and also that I prefer being alone and often feel like talking to people is a waste of time (obviously writing on a forum is a bit different for me). I had a couple friends when I was little, but like now I felt no connection with them when we hung out, felt it was a waste of time, and didn't know how to interact with them well. I have always felt like an observer in society rather than a participant, which many people with SPD feel like.

Would I do anything about it? No, I'm happy with the way I am.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 3:17 pm

Personality disorders are so confounding. If you are diagnosed with something that precludes a personality disorder in childhood, yet develop something that mimics a personality disorder in adulthood, which is it you have?
I guess it depends. If you are talking to an expert in personality disorders, you might end up getting diagnosed with one, anyway.
Ideally, it would be possible to be diagnosed with one, regardless, since every adult has a personality, for better or worse.

I have to admit I find them fascinating. I also am awed by the fact you cannot be diagnosed with one until the age of eighteen, though I can see why. Maybe in youth we experiment with different coping styles, trying to find ones that work for us, so we don't have a fixed personality until older.

What about the avoidant attachment style controversy? Perhaps the schizoid personality isn't a personality at all, more like an attitude one has toward relationships for whatever reasons, thus compatible with any disorder?

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 3:33 pm

I have not been diagnosed with anything, partly because I didn't realize there was anything wrong with me neurologically until recently, and because I don't want to talk to doctors or therapists or anything.

Something I want to add: the only reason I had friends in the past was because it was the norm, and being in a public school there were many kids around me, and a couple wanted to be friends with me. But now I get no joy from them at all. The only reason I've wanted intimate/romantic relationships was because I was manipulating the person, to try and get some perceived benefit of having a partner, but now that I realize this I have no interest in one. :P

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 3:43 pm

It might not be a personality at all, though, just a style and it might not even be permanent. Being happy with being alone is the most important thing, though. If you are more content that way, then it's great!

And if SPD wasn't confusing enough already, there's this, from Wiki:

Quote:
The 'secret schizoid'
According to Ralph Klein[20] there are many fundamentally schizoid individuals who present with an engaging, interactive personality style which contradicts the timidity, reluctance, or avoidance of the external world and interpersonal relationships as emphasized by the DSM-IV and ICD-10 definitions of the schizoid personality. Klein classifies these individuals as secret schizoids[20] who present themselves as socially available, interested, engaged, and involved in interacting in the eyes of the observer, while at the same time, he or she is apart, emotionally withdrawn, and sequestered in a safe place in his or her own internal world. So, while withdrawnness or detachment from the outer world is a characteristic feature of schizoid pathology, it is sometimes overt and sometimes covert. While it is overt it matches the usual description of the schizoid personality offered in the DSM-IV. According to Klein, though, it is "just as often" a covert, hidden internal state of the patient in which what meets the objective eye may not be what is present in the subjective, internal world of the patient. Klein therefore cautions that one should not miss identifying the schizoid patient because one cannot see the patient’s withdrawnness through the patient’s defensive, compensatory, engaging interaction with external reality. Klein suggests that one need only ask the patient what his or her subjective experience is in order to detect the presence of the schizoid refusal of emotional intimacy.[20]

Implying that you can be social and SPD.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 4:03 pm

Yeah, I read that and that's not me. :P