is messiness related in any way to any kind of aspergers?

Page 4 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 11:08 am

I think for me it's a problem with seeing details and not noticing the big picture. I don't notice the mess because I'm just focused on whatever I'm doing and not seeing the rest of my surroundings. And cleaning is difficult for me because of being too detail-oriented. It takes me three hours to sweep and mop one small room because I have to pick up all the junk strewn about, then move all the furniture to sweep really thoroughly so that the mop doesn't drag in the dust bunnies under the sofa...
Oh, and if I have to dust--forget it. I dust, then I have to sweep again, then I have to dust again because the sweeping stirred up more dust... YAAAAAHHHH!! !! So I'm usually a happy wreck.

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 5:38 pm

Mindsigh wrote:
I think for me it's a problem with seeing details and not noticing the big picture. I don't notice the mess because I'm just focused on whatever I'm doing and not seeing the rest of my surroundings. And cleaning is difficult for me because of being too detail-oriented. It takes me three hours to sweep and mop one small room because I have to pick up all the junk strewn about, then move all the furniture to sweep really thoroughly so that the mop doesn't drag in the dust bunnies under the sofa...
Oh, and if I have to dust--forget it. I dust, then I have to sweep again, then I have to dust again because the sweeping stirred up more dust... YAAAAAHHHH!! !! So I'm usually a happy wreck.

I can relate to all of this. I get into a perfectionist mode when cleaning, which is why I tend too go to long between times. It's a huge investment of time and energy, if you can't stop once you start.

I'm learning to break it up into small jobs. One corner of the kitchen - and I map out boundaries before I start. Or just the toilet today, the bathroom sink tomorrow. Something like that. That seems to help. But I understand what you're saying, I do!

Washi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 5:54 pm

SpiritBlooms wrote:
Mindsigh wrote:

I can relate to all of this. I get into a perfectionist mode when cleaning, which is why I tend too go to long between times. It's a huge investment of time and energy, if you can't stop once you start.

I'm learning to break it up into small jobs. One corner of the kitchen - and I map out boundaries before I start. Or just the toilet today, the bathroom sink tomorrow. Something like that. That seems to help. But I understand what you're saying, I do!

I get that way, I focus too much on one little area. I was very disorganized as a kid then in early adulthood I learned how to be very neat and tidy and enjoyed keeping things that way ... but when life is getting to be a bit too much for me it's obvious because everything goes chaotic again. I have a son with classic autism who will follow me around when I try to clean and he unfolds all the laundry and dumps out all the toys I pick up, if I put something messy out of his reach he'll get his Dad to give it to him and it'll wind up right back on the floor again. I try to keep things in order but it doesn't look like it, you can tell how well I am on most days by how messy my house is.

Konstans
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jun 2012, 7:45 pm

I was extremly organized before, but then I met somone at school, which later became my best friend. I looked up to him and tried to copy his behaviour (as a way to supress my weird AS behaviour) leading me to become a slob like most teenagers today.
Sometimes I wish I never changed, because I really had 100% control of where everything was, also it was more pleasing to the eye. Now I find stuff I look for by pure luck.

I find it imposdible to go back to "tidy me", because the "lazy sob" me is more easy and less time conuming to be.
:-(

TheJennyWay
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Apr 2018, 1:34 pm

I totally relate ! I'm a produce Manager in a small grocery store. My head boss came to check to see if I needed anything. He drives to all the stores to do this every few weeks. When he came into my back room it was a mess.... To him! Not me! I knew exactly what I was doing and always get my work done. He told me I need organizational skills.i don't understand because I knew why I put certain things in certain places and it makes sense to me. To everyone else I'm completely unorganized. :cry:

questor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 11:48 pm

Executive Function Disorder is a fairly common comorbid condition for those on the Asperger's/Autism spectrum of disorders. Unfortunately, I have always had this, so my life is always in at least some chaos. Some on the spectrum are super organized instead. Too bad I'm not one of them.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 12:06 am

When I was younger I was always obsessively lining up and displaying my collections. Now I seem to be messier than ever and get tired and frustrated extremely easily when I try to tidy and organize things. :(

apus apus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Apr 2018, 2:55 am

questor wrote:
Executive Function Disorder is a fairly common comorbid condition for those on the Asperger's/Autism spectrum of disorders. Unfortunately, I have always had this, so my life is always in at least some chaos. Some on the spectrum are super organized instead. Too bad I'm not one of them.

Me too.