**Warning**April is "Autism Awareness Month"

Page 1 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 2:02 pm

Please God, save us from Autism Speaks!

We are about to be bombarded by their sad, pathetic images portraying us.

Oh, and the parents praying that their children be free of the "prison within," that we all know is more like a "playground within." The prison is created by society.

Let's put an all out effort into the REAL awareness while we have the chance.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 2:22 pm

"Autism Speaks" does not speak for me.

I'm more concerned about the media response - their news items that allegedly link ASDs with "Columbine" style shootings, animal cruelty, pedophilia, homosexuality, celebrity stalkings, and spousal abuse ... and my doctor wonders why I haven't "come out" to anyone about my condition.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

GeomAsp
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Mar 2009, 2:41 pm

And what else do they say about autistics. Wehere can i find out more ?

GeomAsp
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Mar 2009, 2:41 pm

And what else do they say about autistics. Where can i find out more ?

Sorenna
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 3:34 pm

Fnord wrote:
"Autism Speaks" does not speak for me.

I'm more concerned about the media response - their news items that allegedly link ASDs with "Columbine" style shootings, animal cruelty, pedophilia, homosexuality, celebrity stalkings, and spousal abuse ... and my doctor wonders why I haven't "come out" to anyone about my condition.

Good point. They wanted a child in my family tested becauae I have it. THe mom was like NO. SHe is smart. They want to immigrate to another country and if you have AUT they may not let you in.

There IS a stigma. I am uneasy with my Dr knowing. I have not told her. But I am afraid it's in my recor.d s

dedhead66
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Mar 2009, 3:51 pm

whitetiger wrote:

Oh, and the parents praying that their children be free of the "prison within," that we all know is more like a "playground within." The prison is created by society.

I'm not a fan of AutismSpeaks, I don't even know what their stand on Autism is.

But not all people with Autism fit the narrow definition of HFA or AS. Not everyone with Autism has a "playground within". Speaking for myself I haven't found the "playground within". I've found life to be sometimes almost unbearable. With so many here speaking of their depressions, anxieties and social phobias sometimes requiring a lifetime of meds to treat, I think some would disagree with your "playground within" analogy.

I'm not looking for sympathy from society for myself but I think that some with Autism need to be recognized as needing a helping hand. They need to be recognized as being different. Not disabled, different.

I'm still new to the spectrum so my feelings are only that. Feelings. Once I've had the opportunity to do more research on AS my feelings will become my opinion. :wink:

Crocodile
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Mar 2009, 4:06 pm

I feel glad we don't have Autism Speaks in the Netherlands. But alas, here people have a very negative image of autism and asperger's, as if we are all ment to suffer throughout our lives, and as if we are hardly able to make a living or to live on our own.

I GRADUATED WITH THE HIGHEST GRADES OF MY YEAR!! !! !

HowlingMad1992
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Mar 2009, 4:08 pm

Funnily enough my birthday is in April :D

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 4:56 pm

I suffer from severe anxiety due to my AS, but it is due to having to function in an NT world. When I'm alone, I can be creative. I truly have a "playground within." The point I was trying to make is: How does the parent know the child is "locked inside a prison" just because they are more inwardly drawn than outwardly focused?

dedhead66 wrote:
whitetiger wrote:

I'm not a fan of AutismSpeaks, I don't even know what their stand on Autism is.

But not all people with Autism fit the narrow definition of HFA or AS. Not everyone with Autism has a "playground within". Speaking for myself I haven't found the "playground within". I've found life to be sometimes almost unbearable. With so many here speaking of their depressions, anxieties and social phobias sometimes requiring a lifetime of meds to treat, I think some would disagree with your "playground within" analogy.

I'm not looking for sympathy from society for myself but I think that some with Autism need to be recognized as needing a helping hand. They need to be recognized as being different. Not disabled, different.

I'm still new to the spectrum so my feelings are only that. Feelings. Once I've had the opportunity to do more research on AS my feelings will become my opinion. :wink:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 5:21 pm

I'm getting to hate April, more every year.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 5:28 pm

HowlingMad1992 wrote:
Funnily enough my birthday is in April :D

Ditto.

On sabbatical...

pavel_filonov
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Mar 2009, 5:43 pm

Its at times like this I feel glad I live in the UK with the wonderfully down to earth National Autistic Society.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 6:15 pm

I've heard of "Autism Awareness Month," I don't think "Autism Speaks" runs in the UK though, however, we have "National Autistic Society", which I think is good. :)

SpongeBobRocksMao!

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 6:23 pm

April here, theres another organization called POAC, that runs a lot of stuff such as autism walk, autism picnic, autism nights which is so much fun. WE also have a lot of car events, and autism days, and none of the proceeds goes to autismspeaks, some of it goes to autism society of america or POAC or COSAC. www.poac.net is the only organization though I've seen that doesnt put money towards a cure, rather puts money into helping autistics now, which is why i support them so much more.

So i get excited for april, because of all the events hehe.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Mar 2009, 6:33 pm

So instead of bitching about how much we hate Autism Speaks and how stupid we think the whole Autism Awareness Month thing is, what are we doing to promote positive autism awareness? What are we doing to change people's minds about what it means to be autistic? What are we doing to get rid of the idea that we are accurately portrayed by puzzle pieces? What are we doing to get rid of the idea that cure tactics are appropriate for all autistics?

I hate the way the media portrays autism as much as anyone, but I work towards changing other people's perspectives on what it means to be autistic and what autism looks like. We need to work toward positive change and positive perspectives.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 6:39 pm

Liverbird, I am doing exactly that.

Please see the link in my url. I have over 40 videos dedicated to raising positive AS Awareness. I plan to pump up my efforts during April, to counteract the negative!