I see some of them but not all of them 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
What a stupid question to ask 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 36

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 10:52 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autostereogram

Do you guys see these? I never have and I'm just curious if it could be an Aspie thing.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 11:40 pm

OMG, that's awesome! It took me forever, and i was really close to giving up and answering "no"... but if you click on that picture on the right on the wikipedia page to view the full image and then get pretty close to the computer it makes it easier... The just look kind of *past* the picture, like you're looking at something behind it until it starts tolook kind of fuzzy and then the shark will jump out at you. I never really could see the pic in these things before, but after staring at that for awhile i think i got the technique down.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 11:44 pm

There was a thread about this awhile ago, and if I remember correctly the consensus was that the majority of WP can't see them. I'm one of them. I've never been able to see one, no matter how hard I try, or how much advice everyone else around me that can see it gives to me.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 12:07 am

Wow, now i have a headache from looking at too many of these. I think you just have to stare at one for a really long time, experimenting with different eye focuses until you get it.

brightlined
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Aug 2009, 12:25 am

I'd wager that NTs would poll similarly when it comes to who can see it.

The trick is this: First, slacken your gaze until you see this word twice, side by side (and in perfect focus):

TEST

If you can do that, you're halfway there. Just do the same thing with the image - try to match up two of the side-by-side columns in the image. This one on the Wiki page should be a little easier:

The last part is the hard part, but if you can hold that long enough, your eyes should eventually be able to recognize the image (or, in the above example, the rows should look like they're floating in three dimensions).

kip
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 5:03 am

The picture ones I can see with a bit of work. The random dot ones, I can never see it 3D, but I'm good at pattern recognition, so I can 'see' what I'm supposed to be seeing but it's flat.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 9:57 am

Yes, but I was quite obsessed with them for awhile when I was younger. It took me weeks, at least, to figure it out.

duke666
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2009, 12:00 pm

I agree with brightlined about most NTs having trouble with them too.

They're easy for me because I worked with 3D aerial photo a lot as a geology student and learned the eye tricks, because it was a nuisance setting up the viewer.

-The Madness of King George

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 12:06 pm

3 Deep topic

Yeah, I can see them if I take my glasses off, look up close and sort of buzz my focus. Interesting.

I used to do this when I was a kid as a stim.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

bluerose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Aug 2009, 12:27 pm

I've tried but can't see anything but the dots. I don't think it has any connection with being an aspie though.

iniudan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Aug 2009, 12:31 pm

I can see all of them in matter of second some even at distance like 5m, and without having to do any kind of focus sometime. But I got a vision trouble that make me see slightly double (like a ghost image around objects), so my eye are naturally slightly unfocussed with the other, which it is why it so easy for me. =p

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 12:58 pm

I can't see anything. That picture just looks like my carpet.

I wasn't able to do brightlined's TEST, either. I don't know how to slacken my gaze so that I see the word twice and in focus. I didn't even know that was possible.

It makes me a little sick feeling, but that's all. I don't know if it's similar, but View Masters make me feel all queasy. You're supposed to be able to see a 3d image with those, but I just see a picture that makes me feel like I'm going to throw up.

I'm pretty sure I'm on the mild end of the spectrum.

Edited to add: I just scrolled down and saw the shark. I don't understand what I'm supposed to be seeing there. In one place the description implies that you should see a shark make of colored dots. I just see a B/W shark, without looking at it in any unusual way. It looks 3D in the sense that its greyscale shading makes it that way. It doesn't look special or unusual though. One of the descriptions make it sound like the shark "appears" when you look at it with the wall-eyed technique. But the shark was always there. So I don't get that.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 2:45 pm

I can see them if I "slack my gaze", but then it's usually too fuzzy...if I cross my eyes, I can see them very sharply, but then they're inverted (stuff pops "in" instead of "out").

I have a few of these, and I practiced with them a lot until I could do them effortlessly. I remember the first time I saw one, I couldn't figure it out at all.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 4:31 pm

elderwanda wrote:
I can't see anything. That picture just looks like my carpet.

I wasn't able to do brightlined's TEST, either. I don't know how to slacken my gaze so that I see the word twice and in focus. I didn't even know that was possible.

It makes me a little sick feeling, but that's all. I don't know if it's similar, but View Masters make me feel all queasy. You're supposed to be able to see a 3d image with those, but I just see a picture that makes me feel like I'm going to throw up.

I'm pretty sure I'm on the mild end of the spectrum.

Edited to add: I just scrolled down and saw the shark. I don't understand what I'm supposed to be seeing there. In one place the description implies that you should see a shark make of colored dots. I just see a B/W shark, without looking at it in any unusual way. It looks 3D in the sense that its greyscale shading makes it that way. It doesn't look special or unusual though. One of the descriptions make it sound like the shark "appears" when you look at it with the wall-eyed technique. But the shark was always there. So I don't get that.

I tried all the tips that were given in this thread, as well, and I couldn't see the picture. At some point, I thought I was supposed to be seeing a row of shark heads à la the famous 'Jaws' poster, with its pointy nose and the curved mouth full of teeth. I was quite confused when I just scrolled down after reading you did the same, and saw what the shark was supposed to look like.

I cannot see the picture.

WardenWolf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 5:01 pm

Nope. I never could see those darn things.

dadsgotas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Aug 2009, 5:47 pm

No. Damn.