Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Mist01
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Aug 2009, 10:16 pm

Inferiority Complex: In the fields of psychology and psychoanalysis, is a feeling that one is inferior to others in some way and unlike a normal feeling of inferiority, which can act as an incentive for achievement, an inferiority complex is an advanced state of discouragement, often resulting in a retreat from difficulties.

Superiority Complex: An overly high opinion of oneself; in psychology, it refers to the unrealistic and exaggerated belief that one is better than others. In some people, this develops as a way to compensate for unconscious feelings of low self-esteem or inadequacy.

Are these common amongst the spectrum?

For me, there are times where I feel like I am superior to and better than others on the count of me having higher moral principals and insight into the world than most people. While this may be true, I know it doesnt mean im superior to most people. This is a weird duality in that I know I should treat everyone with compassion and love, yet I highly despise people who seem to lack the strong morals I have.
I rememer a time where I was arguing with one of my friends about how he shouldnt keep teasing me if I feel hurt, even if its just joking around. I told him that when someone says "please stop, its bothering me", that other person should simply stop. Instead, he said I need to "lighten up" and "stop being so sensitive" as well as how im acting like im "more enlightened". I know I was right in this without a doubt and there are times where I do indeed feel more enlightened than other people. When I explained to him what he was doing wrong, I wasnt acting all cocky, I was polite and respectful. How is that acting like I was more enlightened than him?

On the other hand, there are times where my self-confidence is down the crapper and my inferiority complex comes out. I feel like im not good enough for anything and I have no skills or talent. Even when people tell me sometimes that the house I designed was very nice or I did a good job with something, ill still feel inadequate. Concerning my martial arts interest, sometimes I feel like ill never become a great fighter so theres no point in even trying. This isnt really depression, its just a general feeling of inferiority. When I get in that kind of mood, any time someone will accomplish something or make something really nice, that only makes it worse.

Are any of you guys out there like this? Probably not exactly like this, but is it a common thing in the spectrum to have alternating moods of superiority and inferiority?

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2009, 11:11 pm

I never heard of a "superiority complex", and "inferiority complex" was always illustrated as a case where a person felt inferior, and had the need to put everyone down and ACT superior. It is kind of like the stereotypical guy that feels um deficient, and gets a REAL large car, etc...

I wouldn't imagine either is all that likely for someone that has AS. Depression is different in that you aren't going to act superior, and may not even really feel inferior, but are simply depressed.

As for me, usually when I feel kind of superior to someone, it doesn't really make me feel happy. The educational system, and society in general, could certainly be better. If I feel inferior to someone, I may simply be depressed or wish that I were as good. I certainly wouldn't shoot them down for my feelings. And I am certainly not going to get real fancy cars, etc.... My car is nice, but middle class. In fact, it is nearly a decade old.

Heck, I will HAPPILY admit that by all I consider success, I don't consider myself a success in life. when I was 6, I figured that, by now, I would be healthy(I have to check next week to see if my aorta is more likely to burst), be married(I'm not, and have no prospects), and be retired(I'm HOPING I can retire in 20 years)! Ironically, my two most immediate goals in life are ones I RESENTED when I was in my teens! And I used to NEVER compromise!

Last week a company revealed they LIED to me! When I was younger, I would likely have filed a dispute(due to breach of contract) and cut all ties with them. They would have losst every penny, but at least they would have ended up not putting me out more than was agreed. That would leave me out in the cold at this point, so I decided to bawl them out(they obviously DON'T care), and compromise. I could have been in an accident. If I were, I would have tried to make THEM pay for it. I wasted an hour of my time. And ALL because they told a lie that did NOTHING for them! NOTHING! It wasn't simpler, they didn't make more money, etc... In fact, if I ever have a chance to drive business away from them I will. I won't do business with them again.

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2009, 11:35 pm

I dont know whether its common to alternate between superiority and inferiority but I wouldnt be surprised if inferiority complex was common amongist the spectrum. I know for sure that I have inferiority complex. Just seeing people my age socializing and having fun is where it strongly kicks in. I have to try not to go on facebook too much. Especially seeing those people who have like tons and tons of pics of them having fun and tons and tons of comments on there board. Crap... :(