Do you hate other people coming over to your house?

Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Murasame
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Sep 2009, 3:56 pm

I hate unexpected visitors! My extended family are all based hundreds of miles away, so I don't have to worry about relatives showing up unannounced, and I vary rarely have 'friends' over. The people that turn up randomly here are always my sister's mates, who I do not know and have no interest in getting to know.

As me and my parents are at work during the day, over the summer our house seems to be the location of choice for anyone wishing to escape their own parents. I hate coming home to find that I have to stay out of sight because the house has been taken over. Her friends are not even particularly loud, or rude, nor do they leave the house in that much of a state, they're just...there, occupying space, preventing me from doing the things I had planned to do when I got home. Thankfully she'll be leaving to go back to university next week, which should result in a return to blissful normality.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 6:57 pm

Ah, kitty cats. My most favorites. Yup, that's exactly what mine does, and I tell her so. I'm like, 'Sissy, when are you going to trade lives with me?' I can just hide and hide, or if anyone tries to bother me, just scratch bite or hiss at them, and we'll see if they want to mess with me again.

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 10:59 pm

Yes I hate when family members come to the house to visit. When I see them drive up I usually get up and go to my room until they leave because I simply don't want to talk to them. It's not because I don't like them it's because I don't have much to talk about and I avoid social situations.

MattD
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2009, 2:06 am

Yes i hate unexpected visitors. One day my sister invited her friend over with his son, she went into the kitchen with her friend and left his son sitting on the couch next to me for about 10 minutes :x , i didn't say one word the whole time and he didnt either, i just sat there thinking if i should get up and walk into my room, but that might seem rude.

saywhatyamean
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Sep 2009, 10:58 am

Oh boy I feel right at home here. More gimme more LOL

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2009, 11:50 am

I don't think of it much, but I suppose I hate visitors too.

Unless I plan on people being over, I see my home as my sanctuary, and I don't like it interrupted.

von48
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Sep 2009, 3:58 pm

I am so glad to read that others feel the same way I do about "company". I love my castle, its my protected space filled with all of the things I love, cluttered, yes..but I am a clean person, and my home is clean. I have a big dog who is allowed on the furniture, found him at a shelter with a chest filled with pneumonia two years ago, he deserves being spolied. So, there are those who drop by and are compelled to pick dog hair off thier clothing..Stay the heck away if you are so uptight about animal dander, dust, and stacks of magazines, and my lovely life that is not dependent on unannouced visitors and relatives that I have nothing in common with. Right now, my nerves are on edge because this person and his wife whom I've never met want to pick up a ladder to borrow. I sometimes hate people so much, yet thats not who I am as a person. Just want some peace and quiet. Today, I wanted to make a nice lunch, listen to some music, play with my dog, pick some of the last of my Sunflowers..But NO..I'm sitting here watching for them to drive up!. Blech. Thank heavens I found this place, because I thought it was just me being mean spirited and hateful. I'm a new member as of today, my name is Von48. Thanks for reading this.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2009, 4:25 pm

I really enjoy having friends and near friends over to my house in big numbers. Sometimes the number get close to 30, and that's a real blast. That's not an unexpected situation, though, so I imagine it's a little bit different.

Psygirl6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2009, 4:51 pm

I do not like visitors coming over,e specially family. That is because I see my place as a safety zone, the one place I can have peace, quiet, and everything to myself. When people come over it ruins it. When I am in my house, i love to be alone because I have to be with people all day in school. Plus, even on the weekends, i need a 'shut down" period, where I can just be alone and calm. I hate intruders, especially the ones who come into my house and control and be demanding and everything.

darby54
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Sep 2009, 5:02 pm

Oh yes, I hate 'company.' Only exception - my son and his family, I love having them, but I'm at home with them and they with me in my sanctuary as is.

Anyone else, though, and I'm a stressed out mess, dreading the 'visit' for days and weeks in advance. I share the opinions expressed above re intruders in my home, so ditto all of that!

Unannounced visitors are fortunately few and far between since I live in a remote place with no family close by. But occasionally a neighbor or someone will drop by without calling. I don't take it well :evil: I try not to be outwardly hostile, but I won't let them in.

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 2:16 am

I really dread company too, but only if they aren't aware that I have autism. The 'act' of being social is just plain draining to me. On the other hand it's nice when people I am comfortable with stop by to visit as then I can be myself. It's not all bad for me.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 4:07 am

Yes yes YES GOD YES! I live with my parents and when people come over (like relatives) I have to hide in my room or the basement and it's f*****g terrible because I'm essentially a prisoner. I can't leave that space at all until they're gone. We live in a one story house that's incredibly tiny so even if I leave my room to go to the bathroom, someone will see me and try to talk to me. It's incredibly stressing. That and the noise that people make.... I'm very sensitive to noise and sometimes I've had actual breakdowns because of it.

Joehotto101
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Dec 2015, 10:58 pm

I definitely do, especially unannounced. For example, one time, my dad hired someone to teach me how to drive correctly and to get rid of my "autistic" tendencies unnanounced, and I got really angry and threw books of my shelf.

Unfortunately, I live in a big house that has enough space for a family of 20, and someone my dad is friends with wants to invite over 200 people at our house because we have a pizza oven, and I have fears that people will move my stuff around and because I feel it is an invasion to my privacy. I know it sounds selfish, but it really does irk me to have that many people in the backyard.

EDIT: sorry for bringing up a thread from 6 years ago, but I wanted to share my side of the story because it is happening this Sunday, and would rather spend 8 hours at Barnes & Noble than to be around 200+ people in MY territory.

Last edited by Joehotto101 on 25 Dec 2015, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2015, 10:59 pm

Only when they're too early or they didn't tell me they were coming.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Dec 2015, 9:34 pm

It doesn't bother me too much but I rather know a day in advance when someone would be coming & I do get annoyed when people knock on my door cuz their at the wrong apartment or if I get woken up by someone coming unexpectedly.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2015, 6:43 am

If I´m prepared and tuned in to it - I enjoy it - but unexpected visitors creep me out. I get extremely nervous and confused.