Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 3:51 am

I'm taking an IQ test on Monday. We are checking for processing speed issues.

I know that I am intelligent. I skipped 7 grades of English and 4 grades of math, can read 5 languages (4 unstudied) and speak 2 and 1/2 (working on my 3rd and 4th, going for at least 7 speaking). I tested into 4th grade reading in kindergarden. I study physics and astronomy for fun.

But I've done notoriously bad on tests....and I have my premonitions about this IQ test.

My working memory and processing speed are horrible. Absolutely, completely horrible. All the same, I would like to at least have a score that reflects that I'm intelligent but disabled...

And I would like to join Mensa, but I'm thinking that might not happen.

Oh how IQ tests don't even begin to show the intricacies of an autistic's abilities.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

29 Dec 2012, 4:20 am

EstherJ wrote:

I know that I am intelligent. I skipped 7 grades of English and 4 grades of math, can read 5 languages (4 unstudied) and speak 2 and 1/2 (working on my 3rd and 4th, going for at least 7 speaking). I tested into 4th grade reading in kindergarden. I study physics and astronomy for fun.

But I've done notoriously bad on tests....and I have my premonitions about this IQ test.

My working memory and processing speed are horrible. Absolutely, completely horrible. All the same, I would like to at least have a score that reflects that I'm intelligent but disabled...

Oh how IQ tests don't even begin to show the intricacies of an autistic's abilities.

IQ tests are a joke. The good news is they can also be improved, particularly for autistic people.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 4:27 am

The sad thing is,

I have to take one to prove my disability so that I can get needed accommodations.

They aren't cheap, either.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 5:41 am

I have good and bad news for you Esther. Many of us come back with invalid tests because of extreme scatter. Yes you get an FSIQ score anyway but it's meaningless because it means something different than the same score for a person without the scatter.

Now I have some 'good' news for you. The scatter can be an indication of a disability. The important thing for you to remember is this test is not an A,B,C,D,F test. You are also probably over-thinking it and fixating on it right now and you will probably do better than you think you will. You might actually enjoy it. Relax.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 11:38 am

Rascal77s wrote:
I have good and bad news for you Esther. Many of us come back with invalid tests because of extreme scatter. Yes you get an FSIQ score anyway but it's meaningless because it means something different than the same score for a person without the scatter.

Now I have some 'good' news for you. The scatter can be an indication of a disability. The important thing for you to remember is this test is not an A,B,C,D,F test. You are also probably over-thinking it and fixating on it right now and you will probably do better than you think you will. You might actually enjoy it. Relax.

Thanks Rascal.
What do you (or anyone else) know about slow cognitive processing? That's what I'm being evaluated for. My psych and I have good reason to believe that I have processing issues, and I'm asking for extra time on standardized tests. So, the test makers require testing to prove it.

I'm afraid that the test will have something on there that I'm really good at (like remembering random long strings of numbers) and that my issues won't show. We have proof (years of it) that I have issues. But I have weird gifts that I never use that a IQ test might use. That's what worries me.

What to expect with processing speed testing?

hblu1992
Raven
Raven

29 Dec 2012, 12:00 pm

I remember mine It actually does have a part where you recite long series of numbers.However,Some portions of the test are scored on timing.If for example you take long to process the numbers and spit them back it will show.I scored a 143 on the part of the test that scores verbal and conceptionual expression(not sure what its called)but only got a 101 on processing speed.

Edit:dont worry about the score as much.My scores differed by 22 points.I depends alot on your mental state when you take it.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 12:23 pm

If you take too long to process the numbers, will it show that you took too long to process them, or that you're just "bad with numbers?" Cause I'm not bad with them - I just can't process them quickly.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 1:21 pm

Unfortunately, if you have a low processing speed, it's entirely possible that that will invalidate any timed subtests. When you go over the test afterwards, see if there's any difference between the timed and untimed tests. If there is a big gap, then it's likely that those timed tests don't represent your real ability in those areas.

But just do your best. Try not to be nervous. The test is rather straightforward--they aren't trick questions; just questions that get harder until you can't answer them any more. If you need a break, ask between subtests and take a break as long as you need.

If it turns out that your IQ test can't be scored because of big subscore gaps or ceiling/floor effects or processing speed, don't worry. That usually supports a diagnosis of autism--we have truly weird brains sometimes. And if it can't be scored, at least you won't be put in a tiny little box labeled with your IQ score.

If you do get a score, be careful who you give it to. If it's low, they'll assume you can't do stuff; if it's high, they'll assume you don't need help. Best to just use the data to understand yourself better, and otherwise pretend you never took an IQ test.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 1:26 pm

Callista wrote:
Unfortunately, if you have a low processing speed, it's entirely possible that that will invalidate any timed subtests. When you go over the test afterwards, see if there's any difference between the timed and untimed tests. If there is a big gap, then it's likely that those timed tests don't represent your real ability in those areas.

But just do your best. Try not to be nervous. The test is rather straightforward--they aren't trick questions; just questions that get harder until you can't answer them any more. If you need a break, ask between subtests and take a break as long as you need.

If it turns out that your IQ test can't be scored because of big subscore gaps or ceiling/floor effects or processing speed, don't worry. That usually supports a diagnosis of autism--we have truly weird brains sometimes. And if it can't be scored, at least you won't be put in a tiny little box labeled with your IQ score.

If you do get a score, be careful who you give it to. If it's low, they'll assume you can't do stuff; if it's high, they'll assume you don't need help. Best to just use the data to understand yourself better, and otherwise pretend you never took an IQ test.

Well, we are trying to prove that I do have processing speed issues.
So, I guess if that happens, they'll catch it?

All I care about is that they catch my issues with how fast I process information and respond. My psychologist and I feel that I need extra time on the GRE, because of these issues. I've never actually had them looked at before. I've always been slow with doing everything, (but especially thinking) my entire life. It's going to be enlightening to see my results. And then, if I do have a slow processing disorder, then I can get the testing accommodations needed. When I took the SAT I just thought I was stupid....now we're pretty sure I'm intelligent but disabled.

Last edited by EstherJ on 30 Dec 2012, 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 1:47 pm

What do you mean when you say that you can read 4 foreign languages without having studied them?

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 2:09 pm

starkid wrote:
What do you mean when you say that you can read 4 foreign languages without having studied them?

Because I know Spanish, I can read French, Italian, Portuguese, and Galician (Galego).

Pretty much its the ability to connect language roots without thinking too much about them. I'm a pattern thinker.

Because I can read some Hebrew, I also can read some Aramaic, Syriac, and Arabic.

chssmstrjk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Dec 2012, 3:08 pm

EstherJ wrote:

EstherJ,

It is possible to achieve a score that reflects that you are intelligent but disabled. In order to do so, given that you are actually horrible in working memory and processing speed, you would have to get relatively low scores in your weak areas (which are, in this case, working memory and processing speed) and relatively high scores in whatever your strong areas are on the official IQ Test that you have to take this upcoming Monday.

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 3:34 pm

I took the WAIS as part of my psych assessment. The results that came back were all over the place. I think it's hilarious. A couple areas I'm apparently borderline ret*d, in others i have "Superior" abilities. As I recall, there was a line in the report about the scatter being indicative of an "unusual cognitive profile". :o

My advice is just to do your best. Try not to stress out about it.

EstherJ wrote:

Correct.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 5:37 pm

MrStewart wrote:
I took the WAIS as part of my psych assessment. The results that came back were all over the place. I think it's hilarious. A couple areas I'm apparently borderline ret*d, in others i have "Superior" abilities. As I recall, there was a line in the report about the scatter being indicative of an "unusual cognitive profile". :o

My advice is just to do your best. Try not to stress out about it.

EstherJ wrote:

Correct.

Thanks for that. I take scientific cognitive tests and fail them online, yet had to be homeschooled because there was no gifted program in my area as a child. I guess we are just those type of people who are geniuses that can't be placed in a box.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 5:56 pm

I'm like you Esther, I can remember 30-40 digit strings but I did crap on processing speed. If you have an issue with speed it will show. If you're good at remembering numbers and arithmetic it will work in your favor as neither contribute to PSI.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 6:07 pm

IQ tests don't work for me at all. Within the first couple of questions I always get frustrated at them making no sense and quit. I was always that kid who the teachers told: "I don't get it. You're so smart! How can you be doing so badly in school?"