If I get a diagnosis, do I have to disclose?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 7:07 pm

If I get diagnosed AS or whatever, do I have to let prospective employers know?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

01 Nov 2010, 7:12 pm

i wouldnt think so

Darkmysticdream
Raven
Raven

01 Nov 2010, 7:16 pm

Only the military, and then only if it would be obvious and would cause issues because I can guarantee you 90% of our intelligence folks are Aspie or close to it and I'm sure at least some of them were diagnosed and didn't disclose it. However, if they find out you lied and had a Dx, you lose all benefits and get a dishonorable discharge.

As for the civilian world.. you don't have to tell them anything legally other than criminal convictions (and only in certain states).

parrow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Nov 2010, 8:44 pm

It may depend where you live.

In the USA employers do not need to know. Legally in most cases they can not even ask unless you bring it up to them in a request for reasonable accommodation. Employers can ask for proof from a doctor if you request an accommodation because aspergers is not an obvious and readily apparent disability. If someone with a obvious and readily apparent disability (like someone in a wheelchair) asks for an accommodation a doctors note can not be required.

Be aware though with electronic records, all doctors, insurance companies, and government entities will be able to find out and a diagnosis can practicality never be completely removed from you records.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Nov 2010, 9:54 pm

I got called for jury duty several years ago (before my diagnosis of AS), and I didn't want to serve because I had just had back surgery and got a pulmonary embolism due to a blood clot in my right leg. I got out of jury duty. Then, last year, I got called for jury duty again. I wrote on my return form that I had previously had the blood clot issue, and I also was diagnosed with Asperger's. They didn't ask me to report for jury duty. I was happy.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 6:23 am

I think the "duty" to disclose only really arises if you need the employer to provide some level of accommodation to do the job. If your AS is not prevalent enough to be noticeable at the interview, odds are you can do the job without asking for accommodations...at least not until someone makes it a problem. Since AS typically causes problems in interactions with others, most of us just need someone to be understanding of why we come across as so odd at times. That's not much to ask for.

However, if you can't handle being around fluorescent bulbs, needs special equipment, etc., if you conceal that need in the hiring process then demand it upon being hired, they could withdraw the job offer on the basis that you required accommodation that was "unreasonable" but represented otherwise in the application process.

Generally, most places do not ask at all, but the most any will ask is if you have a disability which can not be compensated with via reasonable accommodations. It's a major gray area because obviously if you say that is true, you eliminate yourself from the hiring process. If you say, "no," it's really a judgment call on what YOU think is "reasonable." It presumes you know what the job expects from you (not unfair since most applicants should know the nature of the work they seek to be employed in) and know that any disability you have will not be a serious complication, but really, the "reasonable" issue is one of fact that varies from situation to situation.

Of course, when in doubt, don't disclose unless you know it's obvious you're disabled or they'll find out very quickly.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 7:10 am

I will have this problem when I start applying for jobs. In the past I have never disclosed but now I am getting a diagnosis I have been thinking a lot about the pros and cons of disclosing. My GP and emplyment advisors have told me I do not have to disclose. As someone else said I think all I need is someone to be understanding of the problem. But that means I would have to disclose. From recent experience with telling my ex employer I suffered with depression, it seems it causes more trouble than its worth. They just got rid of me. So I doubt very much I will be telling a future employer. I am going to be careful about the job I apply for. It must be something that will cause me less stress than my last job.