Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2009, 7:37 pm

dustintorch wrote:
Willard wrote:
He definitely has a unique style, but his work though frenetically paced often seems ultimately to go nowhere (as though he got so excited about the initial concept, he didn't spend enough time developing the plot and the ending). To quote Macbeth: "[i]A tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing :D

Not to jump on the labeling bandwagon, but you just sort of described another autistic trait. Attention to detail to the point of a loss of the concept of the big picture. And an example could be in Kill Bill where Uma Therman fights the crazy 88s (one of the best scenes in movie history) He spent so much time on that scene, I think he lost a little bit of the concept of the entire movie as a whole, resulting in the movie having to be divided into two parts. That wasn't originally intended. However, more movie for me to watch so win win. I love QT btw. :D

I was watching Kill Bill on Spike last night, and saw the entire Japan arc, including the Crazy 88s fight scene. Funny as hell. That had to be the greatest two hours of my life. And I can see where the attention to detail came from... a bit.

"Everyone who is still alive, you may flee. However, leave the limbs you lost. They belong to me now."

"Feel free to discuss any issue you may have. No topic is taboo - except any that express negativity over my Chinese or American heritage. The price for doing so... I TAKE YOUR FREAKIN HEAD!"

Sorry, had to include a few quotes.
OMG I was freaking out over that fight though, my mom had to come downstairs at one in the morning when I was watching and tell me to shut up.

Katatonic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2009, 10:28 pm

You guys totally missed the point of Death Proof. The people in the movie were NOT the stars. The CARS were. The chases in the movie? That was his main goal. To make one of the most bad ass car chases in movie cinema history. And I think he pulled it off very well.

It wasn't his greatest movie, but it wasn't bad either.

I still say Reservoir Dogs takes the cake.

AGMorehouse
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Nov 2009, 10:34 pm

EngishForAliens wrote:
His work is heavily plagurised, everything is like a collection of the best bits of every movie in a particular genre. That would be in keeping with an aspie diagnosis. It looks like he can manipulate people though. Brad Pitt seemed to suggest he was persuaded into doing Inglourious Basterds. Maybe he is more in the PDD NOS category or at least on the spectrum but not aspergers.

Pulp Fiction is the only movie he's done I've ever enjoyed. Resovoir dogs is a pointless bloodbath and Jackie brown was one of the worst films I've ever seen. I only liked Kill Bill a bit because I like/fancy Uma Thurman. I liked the start of From Dusk till Dawn it was interesting to see the relationship between george clooney's character and his brother and when they become involved with that family but what the hell was the ending????

He did write the screen plays for true romance and natural born killers (both fantastic). But they were adapted and directed by others.

Pulp Fiction aside maybe he's a guy with great ideas but needs help from others to make them into great movies.

Actually, he pays tributes to the genres with his own unique brand.

But having Asperger's? I think that is a little too much. The guy is a little screwed up, no doubt, but, hey, isn't everyone?

I can't really say very much for Quentin Tarintino, since I've only seen "Inglourious Basterds." I personally liked it because it had a good story and an awesome climax. I would have to see the other movies he's before that time.

you will jouney from boy to man

88BK
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Nov 2009, 10:39 pm

i think tarantino is a great example of how some NTs can seem so aspie but they're actually just eccentric. cause he definitely comes across as 'odd' and he i think he has a very aspie style of speaking. and his self-presentation is kinda aspergic in general. but he is clearly not on the spectrum. interesting to me.

JKerl2
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Nov 2009, 1:57 am

88BK wrote:
i think tarantino is a great example of how some NTs can seem so aspie but they're actually just eccentric. cause he definitely comes across as 'odd' and he i think he has a very aspie style of speaking. and his self-presentation is kinda aspergic in general. but he is clearly not on the spectrum. interesting to me.

yeah this is pretty much right on

not sure why so many people on this board seem to think there's one possible 'normal' personality and everything else has to fall under the autistic spectrum

EngishForAliens
Raven
Raven

09 Nov 2009, 1:37 pm

"Actually, he pays tributes to the genres with his own unique brand. "

Your describing something like the episodes of south park based around 24 and world warcraft. He plagurises, the story lines are not unique.

88BK
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Nov 2009, 4:03 pm

EngishForAliens wrote:

Your describing something like the episodes of south park based around 24 and world warcraft. He plagurises, the story lines are not unique.

mate, it's 2009, nothing is unique. but as far as not being unique goes, tarantino does it better than the rest.

DiabloDave363
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2010, 10:44 am

TomAdams92 wrote:
It has just occured to me that quentin tarantino must have a mild form of aspergers mainly due to his eccentric personality, his obsession with movies and the fact that he dropped out of school at 15 yet hes got an iq of 160, this kind of contrast is often likely with people who have aspergers.

hmm, my friend knows a crap ton more about movies than me. He must have aspergers! And my other friend dropped out of high school! He must have aspergers! Oh and I know this kid who is considered a genius! So he must have aspergers despite being evaluated by many neurologists who have found nothing like that to be the case. Yea everything you say makes no sense. Just because someone is into something, has a high IQ, and dropped out of high school doesnt mean they have aspergers. How about you along with everyone on this forum stop diagnosing celeberties and other famous people with AS to make you guys feel better about yourself. Its pretty sad...

decoder
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jun 2010, 11:12 am

His movies dont make sense to me. They kind of hurt my logic center. IMO Coen bros are far more successful at making something artistic out of pointless random stuff.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2010, 1:19 pm

Katatonic wrote:
You guys totally missed the point of Death Proof. The people in the movie were NOT the stars. The CARS were. The chases in the movie? That was his main goal. To make one of the most bad ass car chases in movie cinema history. And I think he pulled it off very well.

Exactly.

My friend was telling me that before lending the movie, and I was like "I don't know, it would be really hard to beat Blues Brothers."

And then I watched it and now I'm not so sure.

Plus the plot is supposed to be an homage to those weird 60s-70s car chase movies, like Dirty Mary Crazy Larry (obviously), Easy Rider, etc.

EngishForAliens wrote:
He plagurises, the story lines are not unique.

Nothing is unique, everything has been done already.

The only way to be original is to hide your sources.

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Dec 2015, 9:11 pm

Autistic or not, he's a weird one.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 12:11 pm

Although I do believe ASD is under-diagnosed, brandishing successful and hyper-focused celebrities as autistic is an over-simplification of the disorder and is quite frankly incorrect.

Too many of us are keen for the ASD label to be shared with those of whom we worship and adore, such as Quentin Tarantino. He's a highly intelligent, somewhat eccentric film director, who is an aficionado of cinema but that doesn't necessarily mean he's autistic.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 12:19 pm

Willard wrote:
Xelebes wrote:
I usually reserve giving labels to anyone else. Sometimes our race to label celebrities with the disorder is done for our own selfish reasons to feel included.

:roll: I for one would like to publicly distance myself from any group that might include Quentin Tarantino. That boy is waaay too hyper for me, just watching him do interviews makes me nervous. :bounce:

I wouldn't jump immediately to AS (though the idea has occurred to me more than once watching him), but I'd say ADHD is a no-brainer.

I don't know what his IQ is, he's certainly not stupid, but I'd hope if he were so smart, he'd make better movies.

He definitely has a unique style, but his work though frenetically paced often seems ultimately to go nowhere (as though he got so excited about the initial concept, he didn't spend enough time developing the plot and the ending). To quote Macbeth: "A tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing". Case in point: Death Proof. :roll:

Though I was quite impressed with his performance in Planet Terror. The Spaz can act a little. :D

He makes great movies, and I think the movies are set up the way they are on purpose, not out of laziness. Granted it can be a little hard to follow with the switching between present, past and lack of all scenes being in chronological order

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 12:24 pm

88BK wrote:

What is it that makes it clear he's not on the spectrum?...never occurred to me to consider whether he was or not, but you seem pretty certain he definitely is not on the spectrum so curious as to what makes you so sure.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 12:29 pm

EngishForAliens wrote:

Plagiarism is when you take something done by someone else and take credit for it. What exactly has Quentin Tarantino plagiarized? Plagiarism isn't when you get creative with already existing ideas and make your own thing which seems to be more what he does. It would be plagerism if he made a movie just like someone elses movie and then claimed it as his, but I have not seen any movies like Quentin Tarantino movies.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 1:39 pm

JakeASD wrote:
Although I do believe ASD is under-diagnosed, brandishing successful and hyper-focused celebrities as autistic is an over-simplification of the disorder and is quite frankly incorrect.

Too many of us are keen for the ASD label to be shared with those of whom we worship and adore, such as Quentin Tarantino. He's a highly intelligent, somewhat eccentric film director, who is an aficionado of cinema but that doesn't necessarily mean he's autistic.

Exactly. And you can add retro diagnosing historical figures for the same reasons. Nothing at all is wrong with wondering about or suspecting such people. Just making unequivocal statements that such people are autistic is wrong. The OP did not make an unequivocal assertion, but came close.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman