Recognizing Autistic Facial Features.

Page 3 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

faerie_queene87
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Dec 2011, 3:01 pm

There have been studies confirming Aspies' common face characteristics... http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 105914.htm

I do have a baby face, with big eyes and a short nose... I am continuously mistaken for underaged... :roll:

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 3:13 pm

faerie_queene87 wrote:
There have been studies confirming Aspies' common face characteristics... http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 105914.htm

I do have a baby face, with big eyes and a short nose... I am continuously mistaken for underaged... :roll:

Not studies. A study. Not confirms. Suggests.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 4:35 pm

I don't have ANY of those features and I never did as a child either. And I know someone else with Autism and he doesn't look no different to anyone else.

I am getting fed up with people splitting NTs up in one group and Aspies in another. I know loads of NTs with wider eyes, etc etc etc. Why does it suddenly say that Autism is like Down's Syndrome, where we have these exclusively unique facial features? Seriously, everywhere I have ever read about Autism said ''a person with Autism does not have any physical features''.

Ohhhh I am f*****g PISSED OFF!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 4:36 pm

:lol: :lol: Someone's in a mood tonight......

monstermunch
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Dec 2011, 4:40 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I don't have ANY of those features and I never did as a child either. And I know someone else with Autism and he doesn't look no different to anyone else.

I am getting fed up with people splitting NTs up in one group and Aspies in another. I know loads of NTs with wider eyes, etc etc etc. Why does it suddenly say that Autism is like Down's Syndrome, where we have these exclusively unique facial features? Seriously, everywhere I have ever read about Autism said ''a person with Autism does not have any physical features''.

Ohhhh I am f***ing PISSED OFF!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Maybe they just mean children with severe autism. People with a mild case of asperger probably don't have physical features.

My brother is autistic, but you wouldn't know he has autism just by looking at him. If he looked the same as he does now but was more mild and was able to hide his autism more, nobody would realise he was on the spectrum.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 4:44 pm

ediself wrote:

Yeah I know. :)

I just find it scary that people may be able to see I have AS just by looking at me, and before I always thought I was lucky that I didn't have a condition that involved different physical features so that it wouldn't look obvious to other people.....but apparently it does now.

I look very much like my dad (and mostly his side of the family), and my eyes are average, not too big and not too small, but I have 2 NT cousins that have really wide eyes. Also I don't have a big forehead, mine is average too. My face is a bit boney and narrow, but my cousins have got that sort of shape face on my dad's side too. I never thought my facial appearence was anything to do with AS, I always thought it was to do with being my dad's daughter.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 4:53 pm

Joe90 wrote:
ediself wrote:

Yeah I know. :)

I just find it scary that people may be able to see I have AS just by looking at me, and before I always thought I was lucky that I didn't have a condition that involved different physical features so that it wouldn't look obvious to other people.....but apparently it does now.

I look very much like my dad (and mostly his side of the family), and my eyes are average, not too big and not too small, but I have 2 NT cousins that have really wide eyes. Also I don't have a big forehead, mine is average too. My face is a bit boney and narrow, but my cousins have got that sort of shape face on my dad's side too. I never thought my facial appearence was anything to do with AS, I always thought it was to do with being my dad's daughter.

Don't worry, if it hasn't been kept as a feature in the diagnosis, it's because if it exists, it's very subtle. No NT could see this. They can point at the geek in the crowd though so it wouldn't change anything :wink:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 4:53 pm

There was a nurse who was able to tell that I'm on the spectrum, just by looking at my face.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 4:58 pm

I'm not geeky anyway.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2011, 10:13 pm

I don't think it's so much in physical structure as it is in the expression.
There is something kinda removed, or detached in an autistic facial expression.
Like there is something else going on in there that nobody else knows about.

Diagnosed in 2005

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 10:03 am

faerie_queene87 wrote:

Previous thread: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt177762.html

Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21999758

Full article: http://www.scribd.com/doc/69338052/Faci ... phenotypes

My opinion: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postxf177762-0-120.html

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 10:05 am

bumble wrote:
As an experiment and out of curiosity...A picture of me as a little one, I am the one holding the wrapped present, Aspie or not?

You've got the 'Aspie stare'.

SphinxEclipse
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Jun 2012, 1:05 pm

stripey wrote:
I can also tell if someone is gay, just by there eyes, the eyes are female.

Androgynous features do not narrate ones sexuality. That is almost as absurd as assuming someone's sexuality based on the way someone walks or dresses. Such assumptions are based on stereotypes from preconceived notions of what gay is or what gay looks like.

Now, as for autistic features, some people insist that they do see pattern traits in autistic individuals, but I could not find any expert source suggesting that there are any distinct facial similarities between autistic individuals.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 1:18 pm

I don't think that there's any guarantee to know for sure but some similarities that I recognize are:
(This doesn't include everybody)
-flat/monotone voice
-paleness
-glassy eyes
-distant look
-no eye contact or averts eye contact repeatedly
-sometimes frazzled hair
-doesn't smile or laugh too much
-tics or repeated blinking

You can't always be right though.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 2:17 pm

There are no facial features specific for ASDs, there is a similarty in facial expressions, though.

resun
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Mar 2014, 6:48 pm

What I have noticed from youtube videos is that women and girls with AS tend to have a longer distance between their nose and upper lip, which is otherwise a characteristic of the male face. Anyone else noticed this?