Do you desire social interaction or not...

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Where are you on the spectrum and do you desire social interaction?
Indifferent 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Desire more social interaction 20%  20%  [ 19 ]
Prefer to be alone 26%  26%  [ 25 ]
Are perfectly happy to stick to a small circle say involving a couple close family members/friends 51%  51%  [ 48 ]
Total votes : 95

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 12:31 am

and where are you on the spectrum...would you call yourself low functioning, high functioning or mid functioning? So this poll might kind of suck but it seems there are some varying opinions on this. I myself desire more interaction but I fail at it, so doesn't get me very far. So where do you fall?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 12:40 am

Probably "high functioning."

I prefer my small circle of friends.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 12:42 am

I am high-functioning and I am mostly interested in socializing with my lovely parents and perhaps finding a lovely mate. And also cats.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 12:56 am

I believe that I'm high-functioning but my social skills are disastrously bad. I also seem to lack some essential abilities that you need to live a normal life. But I don't know exactly what they are. I wonder if that puts me somewhere else on the spectrum.

I'm happy to just have a small circle of family/friends. But I think it's because I've had too many bad experiences with people at school/work etc. I think I'm kind of traumatized and have a fear of people. I just want to have people around that I feel safe with.

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 10:42 am

This carries to much for me

http://autismdoggirl.blogspot.com/
http://stridersautismdogjourney.blogspot.com/

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 11:33 am

I have a times thought that it would be nice to have more friends, but the reality is that I don't have the energy. \

Dealing with my family takes just about all the energy I have, when I do more social things outside, even on a pretty small scale, I find It takes a day or two to recover, so I just can't do it.

My wife creates opportunities for socializing with her friends and I owe it to her to do my best, but it's not easy.

So family and small group is the best answer for me.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 12:33 pm

I like it in small doses with familiar people.

Evil_Chuck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Feb 2015, 2:30 pm

Can't choose between the last two options. I prefer to be alone but if I must socialize, which is inevitable once in a while, I will stick to a limited number of family members I've known for a long time.

FUNNY DEATH METAL LYRICS OF THE WEEK: 'DEMON'S WIND' BY VADER
Clammy frog descends
Demon's wind, the stars answer your desire
Join the undead, that's the place you'll never leave
You wanna die... but death cannot do us apart...

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 Feb 2015, 3:59 pm

I'm high functioning & I mostly just like spending time with my girlfriend but I don't mind being with a small group for as short amount of time & could use a friend or two offline.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

IntellectualCat
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Feb 2015, 4:58 pm

I think functioning labels are BS, but I am often referred to as high-functioning. I prefer to be alone and never get lonely from being alone for a long period of time. Also, I hate being around a lot of people, as I get anxious.

However, there were a couple times when I craved being with other people, and during those times, I believed that being weird was bad and was troubled by feelings of being misunderstood.

invaderhorizongreen
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 9:38 pm

I don't mind a small circle of friends, but every now and then I need alone time.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 10:13 pm

I chose would like more as that's how I feel but would have liked a fifth choice of "would be happy with a small circle of friends and family" as I'm very fortunate to have a family, but do not have friends I can turn to more than maybe every month or couple of months. So I'd like more, but I think I'd be very happy with a small circle of friends and family.

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 10:19 pm

I prefer to be in a tight-nit group, with some alone time. I seldom attend large events, and only then when I'm comfortable with the people.

ominous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 10:27 pm

I don't subscribe to functional labels. I'm autistic, and I enjoy some social interaction but also struggle with it. I enjoy getting together with authentic* people, and that usually equates to a small number of social connections.

*authentic used here to mean people who do not put on airs and pretenses, and do not require that I put on airs and pretenses

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 10:40 pm

high functioning

small circle of friends (one person preferably)

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 10:42 pm

I presume that I am high-functioning, and I selected the "perfectly happy to stick to a small circle" option. However, it isn't entirely accurate as I have a few friends, but none who meet my expectation of loyalty, reciprocity and intellectual equity. As such, my "small circle" doesn't provide what I want, but is the best I can find. The most recent individual who met my expectations was my friend 16 years ago. Since then, those in my life have been friendly and supportive (and, appreciatively, beyond the usual time to abandon their friendships with me), but considerably disconnected from my life in many ways. :?

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)