Page 4 of 20 [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next

Alien_Papa
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 12:25 am

alex wrote:
documentary film about autism

'autism reality' is a moving interview-based piece that shows a new and refreshing side of the issue.

thank you Dr. Temple Grandin for your interview!

http://vimeo.com/8182809
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLOCYubVc7g

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLOCYubVc7g[/youtube]

I wish that were an hour instead of 10 minutes. Excellent video.

codeman38
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jan 2010, 12:58 am

Out of curiosity, do you already have a transcript of this written up? I'm trying to create a closed captioning file for YouTube (this needs to be made as accessible as possible!), and it'd be much easier if it's already transcribed.

If not, I can type up a transcript myself (I've already gotten halfway through, in fact!), but I'll still need help on a few things like how to spell Edward Hall's Mohawk name and [s]what the song being sung in the little ending clip is[/s]. (I suppose I could just write [INDISTINCT] for both of those, but that wouldn't be fun, now, would it?)

edited to add: How I didn't realize the song was "When The Saints Go Marching In" until like a fifth listen, I have no idea. Blame it on my screwy auditory processing. Still just going to guess phonetically on the Mohawk name.

Oh, and I'll gladly send you the caption file once I'm done with it so you can upload it to the YouTube vid. I'd say I'd do the same thing for Vimeo, except that Vimeo steadfastly refuses to allow for closed captions (though I could easily create a hard-subbed version to upload alongside it).

Last edited by codeman38 on 03 Jan 2010, 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cerasela
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2010, 1:16 am

fernando wrote:
Awww Alex, your dad is autistic! I started to wonder when i saw the position of his fingers when he first came up, then i saw the posture of his right arm and i noticed his silence and then i was sure.

Damn I still got it, i still can diagnose with little info :)

My theory that our type of autism is ALWAYS inherited from one of the parents remains unchallenged.

I thought so, too...but I didn't want to say anything, but you said it now...lol...
I have my AS from my Math parents and the new generation, my daughter has been diagnosed with AS. It is definitely genetic.
A quote from Attwood's guide to AS: "AS might be the next stage in human evolution", he was quoting an aspie...I am not being arrogant, I know it is true. I can tell now, I am older than most people here on WP and I have been through a lot of experiences. Aspies, after they discover who they are and put aside all the bullying, self questioning etc. are wonderful different people, they are matter of fact and hard workers, mind their own business, they're not obnoxious, do not start trouble just because they want to amuse themselves, they score sky high in IQ tests etc...the only problem that I have encountered is fitting in and avoiding getting into trouble at work...NT people can be very cruel and senseless.
Unfortunately, I did meet an aspie that became an alcoholic and addicted to hard core pain meds (after having problems at work, getting injured) AND...anoher one, this one broke my heart, but I did something about it...so I met this beautiful kid, psych patient, that was put on 5 different psych meds and honest to G-d, his only problem was that he was an aspie. He didn't know anything about AS, neither his family. I made sure that I told them at discharge what I thought. I am 100% he was an aspie, bright, handsome and drugged, but he didn't seem that he had any kind of effects from using the psych meds, like permanent side effects and tardive dyskinesia that I have observed at so many pts on psych meds...

Yes, Alex, AS is a familial blessing and I thank my Mom and Dad for it.

The documentary rocks!! ! I have noticed that you are more stressed out than I am used to see you before, I haven't posted in 2 years? But anyway, you'll have a nice life, so don't worry too much. Look at what you have already accomplished!! !

Sincerely, Elena.

ScottyMac
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jan 2010, 2:04 am

Amazing video, Alex... and well put, Elena.

I really don't know what to say... I don't want to start pouring my heart out. Thank you for this site, everyone. I'm happily donating. If anyone wants to chat, I welcome all messages. Is anyone else on this site looking to chat with other Aspies but afraid of being bothersome?

-Scott

bigblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2010, 2:59 am

ScottyMac wrote:

I really don't know what to say... I don't want to start pouring my heart out. Thank you for this site, everyone. I'm happily donating. If anyone wants to chat, I welcome all messages. Is anyone else on this site looking to chat with other Aspies but afraid of being bothersome?

-Scott

thats certainly how I feel.
What a contradiction eh?

demsters
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jan 2010, 3:25 am

Hi, I'm a French Asperger undiagnose from montreal canada, sorry if some of my sentences happens to be uncorrectly formulated, it's not my first language. Alex, in your documentary, when you say "It's not me trying to be unpleasant, it's just the way my brain works". I really understand what you mean. My brain makes me understand numerous things that seem highly complicated for "normal" people. But I win in depth what I lose in social abilities.

I'm 30 years old and I dont know if other aspergers will recognize themself in that, but I feel that my struggle of the last 10 years to gain social abilities made me lose a part of what constituated a really unique intelligence and creativity. I struggled to be at least seen as normal, I've developped comedian and communication skills, but I feel I have lost half of my intelligence in the process. I think being an asperger autist is like being a (I dont know the good word, the person who manage 50 musicians with a stick). We say that they can point one single false note while 50 instruments are playing. But they could not play anything on an instrument that is even slightly unwell ajust. Their brain just cannot process false notes, it only recognize perfection. Being an asperger, at least for me, mean that my brain struggles to process even the smallest incoherence in everyday life.

In a way, I think that being an asperger prepares you to be a person who will think outside the box cause the influence of repetition dont get you as easily as it get's a "normal" brain. There is an asian saying: "Repeat 1000 times a lie it becomes the truth". In a way, being asperger can save your mind from brainwashing, while ironicly hardening your capacity to convince efficiently other people of what you think ... because of this lack of social skills that permitted you (or forced you) to think by yourself, to develop your own conception of life.

auntb93
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jan 2010, 7:58 am

First, the video was beautifully done! :P

I've tried for years to describe what causes me social problems. I never knew about Asperger's Syndrome until the last couple of years (I'm almost 63). The way I eventually found to describe my problem is that most people can interpret what someone else is thinking or feeling by the way they talk, the way they act, the expression on their face. They do that by comparing it to what they would be thinking and feeling if they looked and sounded like that, and acted like that. But I know my brain does not work like other people's. I know from experience this is so. So I cannot assume I know what they are thinking or feeling. Problem is, they expect me to know.

Tortuga
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 3:11 pm

I really enjoyed the video and shared it with my friends.

FeralAspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jan 2010, 5:34 pm

I loved the video. When I showed it to my wife I burst out in uncontrollable tears. I find the bit with Alex in the car explaining how people don't understand how taxing it is for him to interact socially echoes what I've been trying to say my whole life to deaf ears.

elancee
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jan 2010, 7:53 pm

demsters wrote:
Hi, I'm a French Asperger undiagnose from montreal canada, sorry if some of my sentences happens to be uncorrectly formulated, it's not my first language. Alex, in your documentary, when you say "It's not me trying to be unpleasant, it's just the way my brain works". I really understand what you mean. My brain makes me understand numerous things that seem highly complicated for "normal" people. But I win in depth what I lose in social abilities.

I'm 30 years old and I dont know if other aspergers will recognize themself in that, but I feel that my struggle of the last 10 years to gain social abilities made me lose a part of what constituated a really unique intelligence and creativity. I struggled to be at least seen as normal, I've developped comedian and communication skills, but I feel I have lost half of my intelligence in the process. I think being an asperger autist is like being a (I dont know the good word, the person who manage 50 musicians with a stick). We say that they can point one single false note while 50 instruments are playing. But they could not play anything on an instrument that is even slightly unwell ajust. Their brain just cannot process false notes, it only recognize perfection. Being an asperger, at least for me, mean that my brain struggles to process even the smallest incoherence in everyday life.

In a way, I think that being an asperger prepares you to be a person who will think outside the box cause the influence of repetition dont get you as easily as it get's a "normal" brain. There is an asian saying: "Repeat 1000 times a lie it becomes the truth". In a way, being asperger can save your mind from brainwashing, while ironicly hardening your capacity to convince efficiently other people of what you think ... because of this lack of social skills that permitted you (or forced you) to think by yourself, to develop your own conception of life.

Yes! A conductor.
Excellent descripton.

Thanks, Alex. Great video. I truly relate.

cerasela
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2010, 10:03 pm

ScottyMac wrote:

-Scott

That is my constant worry, that I annoy people. And maybe many times I do, talking over and over about my stuff. I have noticed that out of this nuisance fear, I just isolate myself. We should not feel like that...and go ahead...pour your heart out, it is going to be the truth anyway, so it will be fun (you know what I mean, in the sense of meaningful communication and maybe support), even if it's sad...go ahead.

whirlarado
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jan 2010, 10:29 pm

Excellent. Will be sharing broadly.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 11:55 pm

FeralAspie wrote:
I loved the video. When I showed it to my wife I burst out in uncontrollable tears. I find the bit with Alex in the car explaining how people don't understand how taxing it is for him to interact socially echoes what I've been trying to say my whole life to deaf ears.

oh I hear ya; here's something worth noting: one of the most taxing things I do these days is talk to new customers of our website on the phone. Basically, every time I talk to one, I hope beyond anything that I haven't turned them off from being our customer, as I accidentally interrupt many times, and stumble over my words like crazy. It's why I just prefer emailing them.

I only pour my heart out to those I know and really trust; and even they don't seem to fully get it.

Ya gotta un'erstand that NTs don't really understand us cause we're on a different wavelength, and nothing will change that.

NTs find it somewhat annoying when other NTs do it, so when we do it....do you see where I'm going with this?

iquanyin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jan 2010, 2:24 pm

that was so watchable. nice job, alex. :D

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 12:36 am

Great job, Alex.

I urge everyone to donate what you can, also.

I am - much as I can, as often as I can. This place is very valuable.

-- Emerson

cerasela
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2010, 3:03 am

TheDoctor82 wrote:
FeralAspie wrote:

oh I hear ya; here's something worth noting: one of the most taxing things I do these days is talk to new customers of our website on the phone. Basically, every time I talk to one, I hope beyond anything that I haven't turned them off from being our customer, as I accidentally interrupt many times, and stumble over my words like crazy. It's why I just prefer emailing them.

I only pour my heart out to those I know and really trust; and even they don't seem to fully get it.

Ya gotta un'erstand that NTs don't really understand us cause we're on a different wavelength, and nothing will change that.

NTs find it somewhat annoying when other NTs do it, so when we do it....do you see where I'm going with this?

I totally forgot how to quote from posts. But here it goes. The simple fact that you realize that you "interrupt" is saying a lot about you as a considerate person. I know exactly when you interrupt. The autistic mind thinks fast and a lot and I personally get impatient when a conversation is going nowhere and trying to re-direct it, I make the fatal NT mistake of interrupting...I feel self-conscieous also. You are not the only one, we are at least two. I say, the same way I accept the NT quirks (sensless mind games, backstabbing etc.) just the same way NTs have to accept my quirks...I have gotten really strong minded lately about my AS "issues" and getting constantly criticized and tortured because I act different, because really, just because I am in minority (many ways of minority...an AS, a foreigner etc) doesn't mean that I will ever allow anyone to traumatize me anymore with their stupid NT "games". I do my job super well, I need some accomodations (like very clear directions and clarification, so my logic can kick in and make my strategy), but hell, I am good at what I am doing and I should not be subjected at a lot of things that make me suffer at work. I will give just one example. I was assaulted at work by a nurse and it was after I told her very politely that if she needs to make a personal phone call she should go in the employee lounge (believe me, that phone call that kept our nursing station phone busy for some rebate, was so annoying that even the NT employees were "annoyed"/they could not concentrate to do their job and we were taking care of critically ill patients). So, after the big trauma I went through after the assault-it's not over yet (still will have to go to court and I know I am not suppose to talk about it...but I promise, I will post everything after it's done, it was much more that what I just said here), I still suffer from it and I still have to see the animal that hit me (physically but emotionally, as well), I decided that I will not take abuse anymore. I will list in my job applications that I have Asperger and if that means I will never get a job, oh, well, I will go back to school. This was only an example...unfortunately, there are many more.
Stand straight and let's just enjoy life, without being so concerned at being perfect, if we're not perfect, then NTs are a mess, with all the phoniness and sensless waste of time acting like little dumb actors, with all the gestures and postures and stuff that I am suppose to know what they mean when I am just there to help patients... I am just giving myself courage here...but regardless, just know you are not alone. Don't be afraid to share. My only "problem" with sharing is that our posts are not private, they appear on the internet, maybe I will email to Alex about it. I need a space in this world where I can feel safe.

PS For whoever wants to hurt me (in my professional life, for example) using what I posted in confidence here, watch out, I have a good lawyer.