Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Cate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2010, 6:36 pm

Definitely hypnagogia.

They say that people affected by AS have sleep difficulties, which is definitely true for me.

As a child I had night terrors that horrified my poor parents. I would seem to wake up but saw things that weren't there and cried from the sight of them, although I would not or could not disclose what I saw.

There were also similar incidents that remind me somewhat of lygophile's description, in which something was smooth and rough simultaneously. I felt like something was sliding from me and I lost touch with time. These incidents were accompanied with more lucidity in which I could describe to my parents what I was experiencing, and which they dubbed, "marshmallow dreams" because of something that I said comparing them to marshmallows crushing me.

Insomnia is also a problem, as is somnambulism and talking in my sleep.

Sleep paralysis and hallucinations are the worst, though. Hypnagogic hallucinations generally involve feeling and seeing things, such as someone standing over my bed, and voices.

A difficulty is that even though I am able to recognize that these are hypnagogic hallucinations, the knowledge doesn't exactly help in the midst of the experience. I generally have to engage in another activity to sidetrack my brain before attempting to sleep again. And while I rationally know that what I am seeing is not there, the terror of seeing is very real.

Other sensations are a deafeningly loud rushing noise that pulses, whirs and vibrating sounds, and a feeling of moving my limbs while actually holding them still. I'll think my arm is raised to the ceiling, snap out of it, and realize my arm is actually under the covers.

Last edited by Cate on 11 Aug 2010, 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 8:13 pm

If I take one or two melatonin pills before bed time, I'm able to sleep through the night, with no troubles. I also take Risperidone every night, as well. If I don't take that melatonin, that's where I run into a lot of problems. I have night terrors, and I refuse to go back to bed, for the rest of the night. I do get 4 to 5 hours of sleep, but that's not enough, for me to function, during daylight hours. My apartment is also facing the street, as well. That also makes a difference. I've been having such problems, since last July, when that girl was nasty to me.

takemitsu
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 8:28 pm

I'd like to second anyone that mentioned hypnagogia. I too suffer from this occasionally. It usually consists of a period between wake and sleep where I get a string of incomplete ideas, and I'll get zapped back to being fully awake, like I got a shock or jerked back awake. Sometimes I'll hear bells or buzzers, or even children or munchkin laughing, but it's really a short, percussive sound. (There's a being word to describe it, but I can't think of it.)