Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 5:54 pm

I can kinda relate. I'm the kind of person who likes to stay up as late as possible, and I struggle to get to sleep. Unfortunately if I really struggle to go to sleep and it's really late, I panic because I then worry I'm never going to get sleep. To calm me down, I say in my head that eventually I will get to sleep.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

justMax
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 5:59 pm

I was laying there considering how I would have to control the collapsing states of a quark-gluon quagma to induce planes where it met in a controlled manner, leaving edges of super cold condensed matter.

Non-chemically interactive. Protons and electrons with all the space squeezed out of them... just a chunk of lased matter. Pauli violated, and gloriously sharp.

I want a sword made out of it.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Jan 2010, 8:44 pm

justMax wrote:
I was laying there considering how I would have to control the collapsing states of a quark-gluon quagma to induce planes where it met in a controlled manner, leaving edges of super cold condensed matter.

Non-chemically interactive. Protons and electrons with all the space squeezed out of them... just a chunk of lased matter. Pauli violated, and gloriously sharp.

See? Now I won't be able to sleep tonight, because this posts sounds so intriguing. I'll have to stick around to see if he made a sword.... :lol:

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 9:06 pm

I experience much the same thing. Nights are simply too quiet, too relaxing for me to go to sleep. It's a time when everyone else is asleep and I find that thought both comforting and liberating. I'm free to stim, act how I please and talk to myself as much as I want. It drives my mom crazy when I stay up all night and get ready to sleep during the day, she hasn't told me why she objects to it so much and I can't figure it out.

When I have obligations during the day I always work out when I have to go to sleep or how long I'd have to stay awake to be alert enough. And all my house chores can easily be done at night, with no hinderance to my sleeping family. So I don't see any problems with my sleeping behaviour as of now.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2010, 12:27 pm

justMax wrote:

This technique always works for me too failing which I postulate whether carbon would form positive or negative ions if it DIDN'T combine with covalent bonds....

Nany
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Jan 2010, 12:47 am

By all means, the very best solution for this is to marry someone who is as deranged as you in their sleep patterns. With the addition of +1, the two of you can confront the world by sleeping through its days. *lol*

Or, just move to one of the poles. Then, the whole issue can be let go of in perpetual night.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 Jan 2010, 3:34 pm

Nany wrote:
By all means, the very best solution for this is to marry someone who is as deranged as you in their sleep patterns. With the addition of +1, the two of you can confront the world by sleeping through its days. *lol*

Or, just move to one of the poles. Then, the whole issue can be let go of in perpetual night.

:D

Luzhin
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jan 2010, 4:31 pm

Haven't been able to sleep nights for at least 30 years. When I was younger I would just get a job on the night shift and sleep during the days. After the kids were born I felt I had to stay alert at night in case anything happened (burglar, fire, etc.). Now that kids are getting older I work mostly at home and while they are in school I can get a 4 or 5 hour nap. Works for me.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 7:03 pm

I would refuse to go sleep and carry on talking and talking to people for hours and hours and also on top of that I would be talking to my friends on AIM who some of them happen to be from America. :D So that's probably why it takes me ages to sleep? :lol:

aspiringlibrarian
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Feb 2010, 9:31 am

I don't have anything of significance to add, but it's interesting to see I'm not alone in this regard. Most of what had been mentioned here describes me. When I complain of being fatigued, people think I have insomnia or other trouble sleeping. I usually sleep just fine, I just go to bed way too late, because it is just so hard to make myself go to bed.I'm naturally a night owl, but have a 9 to 5 job. Plus, there is just so much that I want to do and I hate wasting time sleeping.

Arroyo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2010, 5:50 am

Guys,

I am still missing one piece that was not mentioned: Low cortisol and the circadian rythm.

Putting things together:
1 - Hypersensitivity and a CNS too responsive makes we overreact to any stimulating thing in the evening, making us not sleepy when we should.
2 - Low cortisol in the morning makes waking up more difficult, and the circadian rythm less effective.
3 - Executive dysfunction worstens everything: we find it more difficult to convince ourselves to get out of bed, or to not get hyperfocused on doing something at night.

To tackle 1, we need to avoid stimuli at night.
To tackle 3, maybe the routine, full of small deadlines, could help some.
To tackle 2, we need to find the right amout of sleep to have: a routine with too much sleep will relax us too much, making things worst. A routine with too few sleep will lead to prolongued stress and burnout.

Another thing that helps me: Going out and having some beers with friends usually gets me tired by the time I get back home. The alcohol has a short-lasting stimulating effect, and also makes me less sensible to stimuli. :-)
(Be careful: alcohol just before sleep, or in high quantities, can deteriorate the quality of your sleep!)

idiocratik
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 5:33 am

I know that if I lie down right now I could probably fall asleep, but I just don't want to. I wish we never had to sleep at all. So much could get done, and we wouldn't miss out on anything. I can feel the fatigue creeping in, but I'm still sitting here restless. Is this an autism thing? cos I think I've always been this way.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 6:37 am

I've fixed my sleeping problem. It used to be that I had to have 100 posts for the day and listen to 100 YouTube songs in the evenings on the nights that I was home. I've gotten rid of that unhealthy obsession with the number 100. I get to bed around 8 on a work night and get up for work at 4 the next morning.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 7:21 am

I am the exact same way. When I was younger the magical number was 12:00. I felt like something would happen if I went to bed before then, though I don't know what.

Now I feel like I need to stay up as late as possible to do things like write or watch movies or research stuff on the internet. By going to bed I am wasting valuable time.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 6:08 pm

Although I love eating (even though I only weigh 8 stone) I really love sleeping too. It's the only way I can escape from reality. It's one of life's luxeries for me. I go to sleep around about 11 o'clock at night, and watch a film or an episode of something in bed, then go to sleep. It takes me 3 seconds at the very least to fall asleep, or half an hour at the very most. I don't normally wake up in the night - sometimes early hours of the morning, but everyone does that from time to time, and has nothing to do with AS because I know loads of NTs who get into a habit of waking up at 4 in the morning. But generally I usually wake up at about half past 8.

I've got very high anxiety, but I still manage to have a good nights sleep. Perhaps it's because I use up most of my energy putting on a NT front in public during the day. And enduring loud noises without blocking my ears uses up a lot of energy too, and also stopping myself from lashing out at screaming toddlers uses up a lot of energy too. I'm sure that's why I lose so much weight.....

PangeLingua
Toucan
Toucan

10 Nov 2010, 9:16 pm

I also have this problem.