difference betweens aspergers and OCPD.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 6:10 pm

Alright just search it if you don't know what it is.

Anyhow I can't tell which is more me, or if I have both.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 7:23 pm

Most people call it OCD.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 8:12 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Most people call it OCD.

OCD and OCPD are not the same thing. They are two disorders, both having to do with being obsessive compulsive. There are distinct similarities, but there are also differences between OCD and OCPD.

OP, the best way I've found to look at the differences between OCPD and an ASD is actually to have a conversation between someone with OCPD and an ASD about their disorders. I've done that with someone with OCPD, and it was quite interesting. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what to say here for you, because the major differences are clear. I cannot read social cues, he can. He has some major obsessive compulsive issues (like has been anorexic because of obsession about how much money to spend on food per day) that I don't have. Yet the similarities are clearly there as well.

If you can find someone with OCPD, someone with an ASD, and yourself, and can go into a chatroom or such and just discuss this, that might be quite useful for you.

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 3:38 am

Tuttle wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
Most people call it OCD.

OCD and OCPD are not the same thing. They are two disorders, both having to do with being obsessive compulsive. There are distinct similarities, but there are also differences between OCD and OCPD.

OP, the best way I've found to look at the differences between OCPD and an ASD is actually to have a conversation between someone with OCPD and an ASD about their disorders. I've done that with someone with OCPD, and it was quite interesting. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what to say here for you, because the major differences are clear. I cannot read social cues, he can

See I can't tell, sometimes I can, and sometimes I can't. I don't know if it's my mind being to absorbed in order to notice or not. Like when I know I'm suppose to stop talking, yet I need to get my point out.

I donno after sleeping on it, they seem like there very interrelated.

I'm emotionally remote, is it because I can't read one's emotions, or is it because I can't handle the thought of having extra variables in my life.

Anyhow either way I'm an obsessive nut, who's frustration with regular folk is ever growing.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 7:46 am

I have both OCD and Asperger's diagnosed, but my Asperger's affects my social skills / understanding people more than my OCD could ever do.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 8:14 am

How do you find out:

1) get dx, speak with shrinks
2) speak with ppl who have ASD and/or OCPD
3) Write in forums who are for ppl for ASD and/or OCPD
4) read about ASD and OCPD

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 12:29 pm

I think the simpliest way to describe the difference is all social difficulties someone with OCPD has are related to their obsessive nature, while in an ASD there is another root to the social problems.

Tuttle wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
Most people call it OCD.

What most people think is OCD is actually OCPD.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 12:45 pm

OCP are the megalomaniac corporation that did all that major surgery on Murphy converting him into Robocop. The major difference between us and him is that we aren't limited to eating tins of baby food and while we need to recharge every day we don't need an electrical outlet to do so. :P

nokosage
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Oct 2012, 1:16 pm

If someone goes to a psychologist about the emotional distress caused to their person by their obsessive compulsiveness, it's probably (but not certainly) OCD. If someone goes to a psychologist about their obsessive compulsiveness, or about it interfering with their social life, it's probably (but not certainly) OCPD. That's how I have understood it, anyway. But it's all a digression from what was asked originally.

Someone with OCD or OCPD alone would still be able to fit in with the rest of the world if their obsessions could be put to one side. They understand social cues and obey social norms unrelated to their obsessions up to a level which would be considered by most to be the common average. Someone with AS may (and may not) show signs of what could almost be described as obsessive compulsive behaviour, and it isn't uncommon for AS to be co-morbid with OCD, but even if someone with AS could move their obsessions to one side there would remain many noticeable problems with social interaction which usually surpass even the level above normal for difficulties.

Substantially_Abstract
Raven
Raven

03 Oct 2018, 7:52 pm

My dad actually has ocpd and I remember always being scared he would make me act on his compulsions. ( I'm still scared, but now I know why he's like that and after 1 year I might get to live alone)). Whenever I was absorbed in my special interests, he would often find something wrong and tell me to "fix that problem". Sometimes it was something habit-related, like how I'd leave my stuff someplace it's not supposed to be and sometimes it was to help around the house. But now I know that's how he expresses his love :roll: . Maybe autistic people are more theoretical by nature, while ocpd people - more practical?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 5:38 am

I thought you meant the lung disease COPD. :lol:

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 9:23 am

I find that I can be easily distracted from something that may be considered a compulsion to the casual observer. Some shiny new toy that comes in the mail, for instance.

But, an OCD gets stuck. Paralyzed. They just can't move forward.

An interesting observation is that OCDs always have obsessions. If someone has an obsession with a stove and you take the stove away, a new obsession will replace it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 3:47 pm

If you're obsessed with cleaning doorknobs because you are terrified of catching germs then you have OCD.

And if you are ashamed of the doorknob obsession and view it as unhealthy then absolutely you have OCD.

If you're obsessed with doorknobs because you cant stand the sight of doorknobs that are not military grade bright and shiny and well polished, and every door knob in your house must be 100 polished and shiney, and far from being ashamed...you are proud of how you keep your doorknobs shiney then you have OCPD.

If you collect vintage loose doorknobs, buy coffee table books of big pictures of doorknobs of every kind, and if you bore folks to death at parties monologuing about the ...the history, the evolution, and the awesome endless variety of, doorknobs, then you have aspergers syndrome.

And might have any combination of the above and be one, and comorbid with the others!

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 4:50 pm

Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder (OCPD) is a personality disorder that’s characterized by extreme perfectionism, order, and neatness. People with OCPD will also feel a severe need to impose their own standards on their outside environment.

People with OCPD have the following characteristics:

They find it hard to express their feelings.
They have difficulty forming and maintaining close relationships with others.
They’re hardworking, but their obsession with perfection can make them inefficient.
They often feel righteous, indignant, and angry.
They often face social isolation.
They can experience anxiety that occurs with depression.

OCPD is often confused with an anxiety disorder called obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). However, they aren’t the same.

People with OCPD have no idea that there’s anything wrong with the way they think or behave. They believe that their way of thinking and doing things is the only correct way and that everyone else is wrong.

Quote:
Symptoms of Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder

A pervasive pattern of preoccupation with orderliness, perfectionism, and mental and interpersonal control, at the expense of flexibility, openness, and efficiency, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by four (or more) of the following:

Is preoccupied with details, rules, lists, order, organization, or schedules to the extent that the major point of the activity is lost
Shows perfectionism that interferes with task completion (e.g., is unable to complete a project because his or her own overly strict standards are not met)
Is excessively devoted to work and productivity to the exclusion of leisure activities and friendships (not accounted for by obvious economic necessity)
Is overconscientious, scrupulous, and inflexible about matters of morality, ethics, or values (not accounted for by cultural or religious identification)
Is unable to discard worn-out or worthless objects even when they have no sentimental value
Is reluctant to delegate tasks or to work with others unless they submit to exactly his or her way of doing things
Adopts a miserly spending style toward both self and others; money is viewed as something to be hoarded for future catastrophes
Shows significant rigidity and stubbornness

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 5:22 pm

I sometimes wonder if I had OCPD instead of OCD because I have always liked my routines and being clean and rules I would make. I am not saying I have the disorder. I just think it would be a better fit than OCD.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 7:05 pm

When I was a kid I certain ritualistic behaviors. Like as I walked down the halls to my bedroom I had to tap each corner of the wall. If I missed a corner and my hand went through the air I would have go back and tap it. Not sure which, if either, label that would go under ( OCD, or OCPD). Don't do that kinda stuff any more. Long gone.