How old is too old to have a dog registered as a service dog

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 8:55 pm

My anxiety and panic attacks are just getting worse. I have to have my bearded dragon with me when I am outside the house or if people are over. If I have to do one of those without her, I have a panic attack. I wish I could get her certified as a service animal but can't see that happening anytime soon because people are so afraid of lizards.

Even if I was able to get her certified, she has needs for heat and lighting. She can only go outside in certain weather conditions. A mammal would be better suited to the rigors of being a service animal. My parents say we have too many dogs and don't need another one. They say I don't like dogs, but really, it's the dog's owners and the other people around that make me apprehensive.

I have a dog of my own that is extremely attached to me and vice versa but he is at least ten. He enjoys going places but would he be denied certification because of his age? I need to do something because these panic attacks are starting to take their toll on my health.

mikkyh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jan 2010, 9:34 pm

I didn't know you could do that with any animal. I'd go out MUCH more if I could take my dog everywhere but I can't. Then again there are still people which is quite nasty.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 11:08 pm

There's no limit on the age a dog can be to be a service dog. Though yours is at the age where most dogs tend to retire from being service dogs, if he can do the job, he can be a service dog. You might want to research "psychiatric service dog", because that seems to be the service your dog is performing for you.

The standards for service dogs are rather strict, though. These dogs have to have very, very good obedience; they cannot be anxious or aggressive. They have to be able to sit still in public places for long periods of time, without disturbing anybody by barking or running around. They have to be kept clean. Of course, you have to pick up after the dog (I know, kind of sad that I need to say that, but some dog owners... *sigh*).

If your dog can do all that, and if you benefit from his presence, then you may be able to get him registered.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 2:36 am

I have a 7 year old service dog myself and when it come to the age there is no real officail cap. How large is your dog.? In the US according to the Americans with disabilities act the only qualifactions you need to have your dog as a service dog is

1 have a disability (that is obvious)

2 the dog must be trained to perform a certain task in order to help you with you disability.

My dog is trainded to climb into my lap when I am on the edge of a meltdown, nudge me during fire alarms if I off in my own world and have blocked out everything else. She also nudges me if I am not responding to the alarm because I am busy covering my ears and trying to put my thoughts togeather because the sudden loud alarm caused me to be a bit "disoriented," She also will stop me from walking into the street if I fix my sight on something across the street and don't process the street and if I am off in my own world and don't notice it, She will also get me up when alarms are going off and reminds me to take my vitamens and thyroid med every morning. though it doesnt offically count as a task she also helps me socailize. I am going to be aplying to an organization for a new autism service dog in 1-2 years because she is getting old an am not in a situation at the moment where I can afford or have a puppy to raise and train myself. SO I am going to be aplying to wilderwood servicedogs ads they are the only ones who train them for adults with autism!