I'm speaking alongside Temple Grandin this fall!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 12:09 am

Thought I'd share this exciting bit of news.

I do various public speaking sessions on what it's like to live with Asperger's but this is by far my biggest accomplishment yet:
I'm officially speaking on a panel with Temple Grandin and another young woman with autism at an international autism conference this fall. The topic is Girl Power: Strategies for Success for Women on the Spectrum. I'm so excited for this!

http://www.autism.net/program2010/1565- ... ccess.html

YAY!! !! ! :P

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Zombie_Kitti
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Feb 2010, 12:18 am

wow that's great! Congrats!

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 12:25 am

Thats awesome

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 12:44 am

I'm jealous. :oops:
And looks like they spelled your name wrong on that webpage.
I hope I get to see Temple Grandin when I come to the symposium with you this fall... It might be my only chance to meet her!

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Aietra
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Feb 2010, 1:35 am

That is VERY awesome!! ! :D

Good luck! Hope it goes well!

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 1:45 am

Cool, you're going to be so close you can slap her silly when she goes on one of her erroneous diatribes and broad statements about ASD behaviour.

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2010, 6:04 am

Congratulations, hope it all goes well. Enjoy the opportunity.

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2010, 9:05 am

Danielismyname wrote:
Cool, you're going to be so close you can slap her silly when she goes on one of her erroneous diatribes and broad statements about ASD behaviour.

I am confused. What do you mean? Do you not like her?

Congrats you are very lucky to speak alnog side her

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2010, 12:02 pm

ASdogGeek wrote:
I am confused. What do you mean? Do you not like her?

What, with her saying that it's unacceptable for people with an ASD to look unkempt (see: gee, I'm so sorry that my interest is so strong I forget to comb my hair and have a shower, or that I'm not "high functioning" enough to actually see the point in dressing to please)? That certain behaviours of people with an ASD must be controlled, so you know, they can fit in to the normal box better.

She should just stick to discussing her experience and leave it at that.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2010, 12:37 pm

Daniel, that is her experience; the beauty is if you don't wish to hear it, you aren't required to listen to it.

Ann, congratulations. I'm still disappointed I missed the opportunity to see her speak last month, and glad that you're getting such a novel chance to speak with her.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2010, 1:00 pm

I like the topic. I wish I could go. I could use some girl power.

passionatebach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Feb 2010, 1:23 pm

She was on NPR last week. She had some interesting things to say, but again, I disagreed with her when she thought that folks on the autism spectrum should do what they can to be normal. I agree that you should have some manner and decorum, but again, I disagreed with her viewpoint on it. Here is the link to the program so all can listen.

NPR Temple Grandin interview

I would love to hear her speak in person sometime. It is neat that you get to speak at the event though.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2010, 2:51 pm

passionatebach wrote:
She was on NPR last week. She had some interesting things to say, but again, I disagreed with her when she thought that folks on the autism spectrum should do what they can to be normal. I agree that you should have some manner and decorum, but again, I disagreed with her viewpoint on it. Here is the link to the program so all can listen.

NPR Temple Grandin interview

I would love to hear her speak in person sometime. It is neat that you get to speak at the event though.

I also disagree with some of her views. Of course you should treat others with respect and care, but none of this "All right, into the normal box with you" crap for me.

Congrats to Anneurysm :)

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2010, 5:49 pm

When I got the email that registration was open, and saw your headshot, I knew it was you!! I go to the symposium every year. I'm looking forward to hearing you speak :)

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 2:22 am

makuranososhi wrote:
Daniel, that is her experience; the beauty is if you don't wish to hear it, you aren't required to listen to it.

If you listen to her talk, she's not speaking of herself. She's saying what others should do and how they should behave. If it were about herself, she'd only give insight into how she behaved and what that wrought without telling others how they should.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 2:31 am

Danielismyname wrote:
makuranososhi wrote:

If you listen to her talk, she's not speaking of herself. She's saying what others should do and how they should behave. If it were about herself, she'd only give insight into how she behaved and what that wrought without telling others how they should.

Now aren't you assuming a level of ToM in that expectation?

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!