Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 8:47 pm

I think I might have AS. How can I learn to speak in a neurotypical way?

SuperApsie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Dec 2010, 9:09 pm

Hi Jamesy, here is my trick to tell it in a NT way:

When you are about to say something to someone, split the idea of what you want to say in 3 sentences and just say the first one (eventually saying the 2 remaining sentences later in the conversation that will follow)

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 9:20 pm

Can you explain that in a more simple way? LOL

druidsbird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 10:32 pm

SuperApsie wrote:
Hi Jamesy, here is my trick to tell it in a NT way:

When you are about to say something to someone, split the idea of what you want to say in 3 sentences and just say the first one (eventually saying the 2 remaining sentences later in the conversation that will follow)

Wow that's brilliant. I'm going to try that.

macrent2
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Dec 2010, 10:55 pm

I have spent much energy trying to figure out the same thing. I often will mimic what I have seen in a like-situation before.

SuperApsie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2010, 12:34 am

Jamesy wrote:

This question split in three:
"The last time I sliced a sentence in 3, it was on a plane during a storm"
"Like saying an introduction to the idea?"
"Just to put some suspense to what I think?"

It will give chances for a conversation to come back and forth around the topic. It's good because you can fine tune what you are asking for or what you want to say, then because it can naturally introduce another topic to the conversation.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 3:21 am

SuperApsie wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

This question split in three:
"The last time I sliced a sentence in 3, it was on a plane during a storm"
"Like saying an introduction to the idea?"
"Just to put some suspense to what I think?"

It will give chances for a conversation to come back and forth around the topic. It's good because you can fine tune what you are asking for or what you want to say, then because it can naturally introduce another topic to the conversation.

... oh wow. How come i never thought of asking this? i guess i imagined noone had the answer, but ..but...is it a bird? is it a plane? no, it's superapsie! i will definitely try that one. thank you very very much....

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

13 Dec 2010, 3:56 am

cool I have to try this...will give a report on how it goes.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 11:02 am

I still don't understand? LOL

SuperApsie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2010, 11:28 am

Jamesy wrote:
I still don't understand? LOL

Well, imagine it's late in the afternoon, instead of saying: "I'm hungry"

You can say:
"Oh my stomach starts to make some complaining noises"
"The sandwich I ate sooner was really small"
"I think I'll have nothing in the fridge left, I'll buy something to cook on the way home but I don't know what yet"

During a conversation, when you are about to say "I'm hungry", you just say "Oh my stomach starts to make some complaining noises".

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 11:48 am

Thanks but what ohter methods can i use in conversatons about different topics other than food?

I am still finding this really hard to get my head around okay. In a conversation i say "my stomach is making complaining noises" then i go back to the conversation topic, later on in the conversation i bring up the topic of food for the second time, then switch back to the converstaion and again later on in the conversation for the third time bring up the subject of feeling hungry again????????????????????

SuperApsie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2010, 12:55 pm

It was just an example of splitting what you are going to say in 3 parts (you can do it in 2 or 5)

The main consequence is that you will open a conversation rather than closing it.
"I'm hungry"
Is a conversation closer, it require an active curiosity to inquire why are you hungry or what you want to eat or if you have not eaten enough.

If you say
It opens the conversation, the person will naturally ask, without effort: "Stomach ache?" and you can spend hours talking about meaningless stuff like NT do. The report-like Aspie conversations turns into a pingpong game where you don't even have to bother about the control or coherence of the whole conversation in the first place.

Give partial information and the rest is magic.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 1:15 pm

SuperApsie wrote:
It was just an example of splitting what you are going to say in 3 parts (you can do it in 2 or 5)

The main consequence is that you will open a conversation rather than closing it.
"I'm hungry"
Is a conversation closer, it require an active curiosity to inquire why are you hungry or what you want to eat or if you have not eaten enough.

If you say
It opens the conversation, the person will naturally ask, without effort: "Stomach ache?" and you can spend hours talking about meaningless stuff like NT do. The report-like Aspie conversations turns into a pingpong game where you don't even have to bother about the control or coherence of the whole conversation in the first place.

Give partial information and the rest is magic.

And I thought you were being facetious. :lol: