Page 10 of 10 [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2010, 2:54 pm

anneurysm wrote:
visagrunt wrote:
...Finally, the use of the term, "clinically significant" keeps the diagnosis focussed on those for whom the traits present a functional deficit that merits intervention, rather than mere inconvenience that can be accommodated or overcome...

However, as an adult, most of the time I will not present "clinically significant" traits. I have learned coping skills and developed filters to address my deficits, and most of the time these allow me to function quite happily. When my skills and filters break down, though then I drop back into "clinically significant" presentations.

Have I dropped off the spectrum? I don't think so. From time to time my presentations still trigger the "clinically significant" standard. But most of the time, I don't need professional help to get on with my life, so it stands to reason that during those times, I would not present traits that merit diagnosis.

I always wonder if those who have been originally diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder BUT who have developed effective coping strategies to address spectrum-specific deficits, such as yourself, would even still be considered as being on the spectrum.

As well, would someone who is able to fake things so well that they are able to gain friends, control obsessions and successfully socially interact in daily society BUT feel that these behaviours aren't natural to them still be considered to be on the spectrum? The DSM-V has made diagnosis criteria a lot more streamlined, but these unanswered questions still linger.

I think that a big problem is the behaviorist approach that is been used, at least since DSM-III - they diagnose conditions by your external actions, not by the internal reasons for your actions. If these make sense for young kids (who can't talk in a meaningful way about is inner states), does not make much sense for teenagers and adults.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2010, 5:50 pm

anneurysm wrote:
I always wonder if those who have been originally diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder BUT who have developed effective coping strategies to address spectrum-specific deficits, such as yourself, would even still be considered as being on the spectrum.

For whatever it's worth, one thing I get tired of is those who narrowly define the spectrum as being only those with actual diagnosed or diagnosable disorders, and not including those who have definite autistic traits, yet not a full-fledged disorder.

outlander
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Dec 2010, 8:28 pm

anneurysm wrote:
..... I always wonder if those who have been originally diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder BUT who have developed effective coping strategies to address spectrum-specific deficits, such as yourself, would even still be considered as being on the spectrum.

As well, would someone who is able to fake things so well that they are able to gain friends, control obsessions and successfully socially interact in daily society BUT feel that these behaviours aren't natural to them still be considered to be on the spectrum? ......

Yes, these people are still on the spectrum. My case presents the example. Even though I can function at a very high level of so called "normalcy". I cannot function in certain environments or under certain situations. As a result I may have to fall back on ADA protections.

-- I cannot function in a highly distractive environment with a lot of noise, and for me that amounts to normal open office floorplans.
-- I cannot function when certain sensory stimuli are often present, such as scents, (aftershaves perfumes, tobacco residue or even tobacco scent on clothing or breath) repetitive or rythmic stimuli such as flashing lights (think blinking christmas tree lights) rythmic music, musak played in stores,
-- etc.
So long as I can avoid certain things I can function very productively and only appear to have a slightly odd personality. With those sorts of things in my environment I cannot work, even though NT's can work there and don't even notice what I respond to. As far as I can see, I was born Aspie I will die Aspie, even though I might hide it from most.

Perish the thought that I should ever fall so afoul of the law as to end up in prison, but in an environment like that suicide might look preferable to several years of victimization by other inmates.

My asperger's traits played a strong part (not the only part) in my choosing to take early retirement because it limits my options for effective employment with respect to finding alternate employment that would match my needs. With an Asperger's diagnosis, I would be able to get "reasonable accomodation" as required under the American's with Disabilities Act (ADA) (I did not have such a diagnoss when I took early retirement.)

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 1:42 am

Danielismyname wrote:
There's various types of peer relationships people can have as they age; there's friends and the different types of such and there's romantic partners and the different types of such that come under here, both of which are the big ones and they come under the plural "relationships".

I've been doing some research, seeing how various professionals on the 'net interpret this criterion in the old DSM-IV-TR, and they say that it's a complete lack of social relationships/relations due to the difficulties of the ASD.

Nonesense.

The interpretation of what is considered "appropriate" and even what is considered a "friend" will vary from individual to individual. I have two friends. In my entire 27 years of life I have had two friendships, both of which were initiated by others and formed under odd circumstances.

My psychologist considers these "friendships" to be "not appropriate to my developmental level." Human relationships are not so easily quantified. If an Asperger's individual makes a friend, keeps the friend for a few month, and then the friend drops dead, were they Asperger's, then not Asperger's for a few months, and then Asperger's again? And what exactly are the specific traits and qualities that define a "friendship" verses a "companionship" verses an "aqaintance".....etc. Unless you're willing to define "friend" in concrete terms and then prove that absolutely no one can meet the criteria for being a "friend" to an autistic person, then I'm not inclined to accept the interpretation that "true autistics" have absolutely no friends.

Quote:
The DSM-IV-TR puts it as:

Quote:
There may be failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level (Criterion A2) that may take different forms at different ages. Younger individuals may have little or no interest in establishing friendships. Older individuals may have an interest in friendship but lack of understanding the conventions of social interaction.

That's its complete description. It's hard to interpret, but I'm seeing an inability to develop such here ("lack of understanding" leads on to the social isolation that it describes elsewhere).

There's also a "MAY BE" in the begining of that statement. There's nothing in the aforesaid description that would lead me to believe a complete lack of any relationships is necessary for a DX of Asperger's/autism.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)