difference between bipolar, ADHD, and Aspergers?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 10:13 pm

aspiesavant wrote:
The distinction between Autism, Dyspraxia, Dyslexia, Bi-Polar Disorder, Schizophrenia, OCD, ADHD and Borderline Personality Disorder is not clear-cut.

There's a significant overlap in symptoms and genetic correlation between each of these "disorders". Co-morbidity is also very common.

Personally, I lean towards the notion that Autism, Dyspraxia, Dyslexia, Bi-Polar Disorder, Schizophrenia, OCD, ADHD and Borderline Personality Disorder are not individual conditions but as different expressions of the same spectrum.

I would also argue that these are not disorders, but normal variations within human behavior that have been pathologized for no other reason but the rather eccentric and unusual behavior of people within, which makes them more difficult to manipulate and control.

I agree. The diagnostic pigeon holes aren't very clear cut, and I don't think many people fit them very well. Politics distorts things too. Depending on who you get, you can be seen as autistic or as oppositional-defiant for taking their questions too literally, being unable to answer, and trying to explain why.

Davvo7
Toucan
Toucan

10 Feb 2015, 10:23 am

Really interesting thread. I tend to agree with the last two posts. Nicely articulated Aspiesavant, I have been given all of those labels (apart from Schizophrenic and Dyslexic) at various points in my life. I have finally decided that if I must march behind a flag it is that of Asperger's Syndrome, but I would prefer to have one big march under a Neurodiverse banner.

When I was told I had BPD, I challenged the diagnosis and the smug Psychiatrist simply replied, "Well that is what people with BPD would do, they never accept the Doctors word; so you've simply proved to me that you are!" To this day I regret (a little bit) that I didn't whack him, but his smug arrogance was still breath-taking. They liked that diagnosis 30 years ago as the 'condition' was seen as being 'untreatable' so they didn't have to waste resources on you. Plus ça change....!

There is such an overlap between them and all seem to point towards a different wiring diagram or operating system; there are lots of PC's out there, but fewer Mac's and even fewer Mac's not running windows. We get to the same point in the end, but just take a different route and some are far better options depending upon the task.

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 12:27 pm

ADHD and Aspergers seem to share some similarities. Executive functioning problems are seen in both ADHD and Autism Spectrum Disorders. Good executive function is the ability to get things done without help or support. For instance, doing homework and turning it in on time, going to the bank when you have a ton of checks, washing your clothes when your basket is full.

It's no wonder that many people with Aspergers also have a diagnoses of ADD or ADHD. For many of us, its hard to get motivated to do things if we don't want to do them. We just can't seem to motivate ourselves to get things done.

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 12:48 pm

darkphantomx1 wrote:
ADHD and Aspergers seem to share some similarities. Executive functioning problems are seen in both ADHD and Autism Spectrum Disorders. Good executive function is the ability to get things done without help or support. For instance, doing homework and turning it in on time, going to the bank when you have a ton of checks, washing your clothes when your basket is full.

It's no wonder that many people with Aspergers also have a diagnoses of ADD or ADHD. For many of us, its hard to get motivated to do things if we don't want to do them. We just can't seem to motivate ourselves to get things done.

Maybe "Asperger Syndrome" is just a name given to individuals who combine symptoms of both Autism and AD(H)D?

Considering the symptoms of AD(H)D do tend to compensate for Autistic symptoms, it would explain why individuals with "Asperger Syndrome" in general tend to be more "high functioning" than other Autists.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 5:45 pm

aspiesavant wrote:
Maybe "Asperger Syndrome" is just a name given to individuals who combine symptoms of both Autism and AD(H)D?

I've wondered that myself.

Frankenfeelings
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 May 2017, 12:44 am

aspiesavant wrote:
Personally, I lean towards the notion that Autism, Dyspraxia, Dyslexia, Bi-Polar Disorder, Schizophrenia, OCD, ADHD and Borderline Personality Disorder are not individual conditions but as different expressions of the same spectrum.

I would also argue that these are not disorders, but normal variations within human behavior that have been pathologized for no other reason but the rather eccentric and unusual behavior of people within, which makes them more difficult to manipulate and control.

This is a very interesting perspective on this, and I've often wondered the same thing. Perhaps the spectrum is a lot longer than we give it credit for. And honestly, I like your last paragraph, I think that's legitimate. I wrote an article at one point called: Consumer, Otherwise Unspecified and it talks about how Capitalism forces one to choose a box to fit in in order to be a demographic one can be sold things to (can be marketed to), and for whom one can easily have a voting position. So it's a form of economic control, and governmental control. If you don't fit within these confines of control, can't be marketed to or have a stable voting position, you are rather eccentric or somehow deviate from condoned behavior, you are pathologized. Especially when you look at what it MEANS to be a functioning adult in our society...functioning means a reasonable consumer, one who engages in employment for the means to that consumption, contributing to the modes of distribution, and engaging in government (which, honestly, governs mostly the aforementioned area). I don't know how necessarily insidious these levels of control are (all societies have their particular method of control, their "norm" so to speak), whether they are done purposefully, since I think most humans just like a model to follow, or just a mere consequence of any system, but nonetheless, fighting to come up with a model of "normal" has a lot of interesting implications.

Frankenfeelings
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 May 2017, 12:52 am

Davvo7 wrote:
Really interesting thread. I tend to agree with the last two posts. Nicely articulated Aspiesavant, I have been given all of those labels (apart from Schizophrenic and Dyslexic) at various points in my life. I have finally decided that if I must march behind a flag it is that of Asperger's Syndrome, but I would prefer to have one big march under a Neurodiverse banner.

When I was told I had BPD, I challenged the diagnosis and the smug Psychiatrist simply replied, "Well that is what people with BPD would do, they never accept the Doctors word; so you've simply proved to me that you are!" To this day I regret (a little bit) that I didn't whack him, but his smug arrogance was still breath-taking. They liked that diagnosis 30 years ago as the 'condition' was seen as being 'untreatable' so they didn't have to waste resources on you. Plus ça change....!

There is such an overlap between them and all seem to point towards a different wiring diagram or operating system; there are lots of PC's out there, but fewer Mac's and even fewer Mac's not running windows. We get to the same point in the end, but just take a different route and some are far better options depending upon the task.

I've heard this from an overwhelming amount of people...it's rather sad actually. There are so many misdiagnoses going around, and the sheer disbelief from psychiatrists/psychologists sometimes is staggering. In their defense (slightly) it's hard to get the full scope of what someone is going through by a mere meeting with them. I think to be completely accurate, they must see one in the throws of their defining characteristics. However, all I seem to really be noticing from this profession is a whole lot of people diagnosing based on their own bias, any and all sorts of bias, and not having the capacity to objectively view a situation until all the facts are laid out. They come in based on assumption. At least, that has also been my experience with the field. So, I suppose if they decide they dislike you, or they know more of people A with said symptoms, but you are clearly a person B, then you may get an inaccurate diagnosis.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 9:29 am

I've always believed Asperger's was a bunch of disorders all together and you just had to have enough conditions to have AS. That is what was explained to me in the year 2000. If you don't have enough to have Asperger's, you are given another diagnoses like ADHD or anxiety or OCD or sensory processing disorder or dyspraxia or executive functioning disorder, etc.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 9:53 am

bonez wrote:
i know those are the basic symtoms, but dont alot of the symptoms overlap? like mood swings, hyperactivity, impulsiveness, inattention etc

The symptoms do not overlap. They are each distinct things.

But a person can be comorbid. Have two, or even all three, at the same time.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 9:57 am

dianthus wrote:
aspiesavant wrote:

I've wondered that myself.

Utter nonsense.
The two disorders, though comparable, are totally different.

I am officially dxd with aspergers, and I have nothing in common with ADHD people. And ADHD folks have no traits in common with me.

Have meet several fellow aspies. Worked with two of them of years in a job situation. None had ADHD traits to speak of.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 10:18 am

They definitely overlap. A bipolar person with asperges can easily be mistaken for adhd or what ever of the combination flipped around. I've been diagnosed with all three and have done crazy things during manic episodes like set things on fire and stay up for days drawing.