Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 7:34 pm

I hope one day people will understand Aspergers, Autism & more health problems. I wish it wasn't hard dealing with families that don't understand. I only talk to 3 of my family members, my dad, my sister & my grandmother, it's very hard for me dealing with my sister. If family don't accept you for who you are, that is so sad, they wanted a perfect child, but there no perfect child. I think it's an insult to not to learn & not really listen to you. I'm closer to my grandmother now that my mom is gone, but it's hard for her to understand, she tells me, she is listening to me, but she maybe listening to me, but she is refusing to believe me. I'm sooooo tired of dealing with my family, they may know me, but they don't know how my Asperger effects me. Does anyone feel this way too?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 6:24 am

My mother and I were both on the spectrum, long before a DX was possible. Our family was like four polite roommates, except my father and sister got along a bit better. Mom left when I was 15, I left at 17, and my sister never answers anything but trivial questions. I've only seen her once since Dad's funeral in '72. I get my "family feeling" piecemeal, with friends.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 7:06 am

I personally hate it when some of my family members show up unannounced at my mother's house, the place at which I currently reside. I never know what to say, and I frequently run up the stairs to 'get' something, in an effort to reduce how many awkward conversations I will have to endure.

For some reason, it's much easier for me to speak to children than adults. When an adult is present, I usually become terribly serious and try my best to appear mature. It's all rather contrived and inauthentic.