Page 2 of 8 [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

bethaniej
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Mar 2010, 8:17 pm

I had to confess to my psychiatrist about chalk eating which I always found rather shameful because a close friend told me that it was good for the Dr to know the meds I'm on makes it so I don't have that compulsion anymore.

I also pick my nose privately. I've heard its related to anxiety.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2010, 8:40 pm

when i was a little kid in elementary school, the big bully 6th-graders would pick huge honking boogers out of their filthy noses and wipe them on the littler kids and shout "ISH!" while they were doing it. every now and then one of the little kids would reach up and pop 'em back in the nose and cause quite a bloody commotion.
as for me, i prefer using a kleenex as the material better catches the nasal detritus which would mostly slip-off if i just used a bare finger. an additional advantage is that since the [sharp] fingernails are shielded by the kleenex material, there is less chance of lacerating the fragile nasal tissues. nosebleeds from fingernail scratches are no fun and the scarring which results can eventually lead to a deviated nasal septum. i learned this the hard way.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2010, 10:54 pm

I used to pick my nose a lot when I was young, now I only do it when nobody's around. I feel the urge to do it less often than when I was young. Must be the fact that I'm out of school and have less anxiety.

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2010, 11:09 pm

I pick my nose too, but not in public. It grosses out too many people... so instead I bite my nails in public! XD
Ah well anyways, I think picking, biting, and just an overall habit of being fidgety more so than usual could be linked to Asperger's but I can't say for sure.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2010, 12:56 am

If I'm anywhere except at home, I usually pick my nose in the restroom while I'm washing my hands. I even do it now as an adult, and no one cares. I pick boogers to until my nose is nice and clean, then rinse my hands. Even when I did it in high school, no one gave me dirty looks because of that. But in elementary school, before I learned that I was violating some very serious unwritten rule, I was bullied mercilessly for trying to get rid of an uncomfortable feeling in my nose. So here's my advice to people in school: if you must pick your nose at school, do it in the restroom only; it's also semi-acceptable to do it while showering after gym, just be discreet about it. But don't do it in class, in the hallways, during recess, and especially during lunch.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2010, 3:02 am

Metalwolf wrote:
I pick my nose too, mostly in the morning after I've just woken up. I also eat the snots.

To me it is simply nose cleaning. 8)

LipstickKiller
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Mar 2010, 9:29 am

For me it's related to Tourette's and no eating involved. It's the alternative to having tics around my nose, but with picking I can often get rid of the discomfort whereas one tic will lead to another.

But occasionally I bleed a little which makes the skin grow funny, and that triggers tics like nothing else, and it also makes me want to pull the skin (which is related to trichotillomania). It's actually the unevenness of skin that makes it so difficult to resist. As a kid I would mostly bite and pull the skin in my mouth or on my lips. :(

I'm in ACT now, for trichotillomania, and I figure that since the trichotillomania is almost under control now I might use the same strategies for the skin picking and the tics. :idea:

orangebanana
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Mar 2010, 9:38 am

I don't pick my nose in public but I do all the time when I'm alone. I've tried for years to stop coz it's "gross" but it's like an addiction! And I don't eat it but will rub it on my lips.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2010, 10:37 am

I can't stop even if I want to. I've tried my whole life to stop. I don't eat it but I pick all the time. I can't stop long enough to avoid doing it in public so I just try to avoid thinking about people's reactions. Even when my nose is clean I start peeking the skin off the sides of my nose until it bleeds, and then the scabs make me want to pick even more and it takes forever to heal. I tried tasting one once after a friend told me they taste good and I gagged a lot so I definitely could never get into eating them. But the picking itself is so intense I am sure it is OCD-level and not just cleaning or regular picking. It's hard not to be ashamed but I try not to be because why be ashamed if I can't help it.

orangebanana

14 Mar 2010, 10:51 am

Wow I never knew this was such a common thing

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2010, 11:33 am

I was home alone in my apartment, picking my nose, when I read the title of this thread. So, it got my attention and I just had to read it....

nelle

14 Mar 2010, 4:05 pm

I think nose picking is related to autism as is scab picking or skin picking.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2010, 5:07 pm

Everyone picks their nose...For granted eating constantly is a bit strange....But it isn't an aspergers trait.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2010, 5:35 pm

I have a nose picking problem too. Blowing your nose with a tissue may stop you from picking it, if not, when you are tempted to pick your nose, try to concentrate on something else to get your mind off it. Perhaps turn on the radio or read something, or think about something you need to do etc.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2010, 7:29 pm

If I have a particularly huge one, I usually just go to the bathroom and rape my nose to my heart's content, than wash my hands. :lol:

morrison
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Mar 2010, 8:04 pm

I actually do it too, I have the feeling though, through my efficient cleaning of the nose, that I have less colds than average. I don't eat them though, I dont like how they taste lol.