No 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
Yes 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
Sort of 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 10

23enigma
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Mar 2010, 7:25 am

Ive found that recently, I have been having this weird tic where I make a very high pitched *eeee* noise and flail my arms around and put my left leg up in the air. Its really annoying and very difficult to suppress in public. I usually do it something like 20 times a day or something. I wish I could stop because its really annoying.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 7:44 am

I researched this when my AS son started having tics a few years back. From what I gathered an diagnosis of Tourettes requires:
vocal and facial tics
full body tics
lasts longer than 1 year-He had all but the time requirement, but we sought treatment right away.

He was taken off Risperdal and put on Tenex and they're gone
I guess for yourself it's to wait and see, the symptoms you describe certainly sound like it. There are meds that work. A schoolmate of my son's has Tourette's and after a long while they found a medication that helps a lot. He only has them when he's stressed or tired.

AppleCat
Toucan
Toucan

20 Mar 2010, 7:48 am

I'm no expert, but seeing as you said this is a recent thing, I'd say it isn't Tourette's. Apparently, tics are relatively common in those with an ASD. Not long ago, I had a tic in which I would shake my head and blink fast. It was embarrassing, but it seems to have eased up now. Your tic should ease up too, in time.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 7:55 am

AppleCat wrote:
I'm no expert, but seeing as you said this is a recent thing, I'd say it isn't Tourette's. Apparently, tics are relatively common in those with an ASD. Not long ago, I had a tic in which I would shake my head and blink fast. It was embarrassing, but it seems to have eased up now. Your tic should ease up too, in time.

^ True, they very often just fade away.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 8:33 am

If it has only just started then it probably isn't Tourettes. The diagnostic criteria states that you have to have at least 1 vocal and 8 motor tics to qualify for a diagnosis. These must also last longer than a year because there is another condition called transient tic disorder which some people get. This lasts only a short while. Make a note of this tic you are having and any other things that you notice. Write down if it is getting better or worse. Hopefully you have just got one irritating tic and it will go away on it's own accord (trust me, Tourettes sucks...)

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 9:31 am

Tics normally occur in Tourettes before the age of 18. Have you had other tics before? I had tics when I was very young although I didn't know what they were. I would cough and sniff and I had this weird thing where I would open my mouth really wide. It hurt but it was hard to control. I also had a vocal tic where I would make a hmmm noise. I think this started at about age 10. I aquired a new tic in my teen years but it's hard to explain. My tics seem to come and go but my doctor suggested that I might have Tourettes. She pointed out things that I didn't know were tics. What you described sounds more like a stim common in AS. If you want to be sure, go to a doctor.

ForsakenEagle
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Mar 2010, 12:52 pm

Like the others have said, this is pretty common with individuals with an ASD. It will probably be something different later on.

ASgirl
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Mar 2010, 1:16 pm

BBC1 (UK) showed an excellent documentary on Tourette's last week ("Tourettes: I Swear I can't help It). It'll provide you with a very good understanding about the condition.
Here is a link to the programme (not sure if you are allowed access outside the uk though)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... t_Help_It/

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 1:26 pm

23enigma wrote:
Ive found that recently, I have been having this weird tic where I make a very high pitched *eeee* noise and flail my arms around and put my left leg up in the air. Its really annoying and very difficult to suppress in public. I usually do it something like 20 times a day or something. I wish I could stop because its really annoying.

Unless you were diagnosed by a real doctor then no you aren't

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 3:05 pm

You should see a doctor over it, that's the only way to know what's causing the tics. It does sound like Tourette's, but like others have said, it doesn't just come out of nowhere like that. If you're on any medication, that could be causing it. A lot of meds have side effects that cause tics & some of them are so bad that if you don't see a doctor immediately, the tics can last a lifetime, even after discontinuing the med.