Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2010, 10:47 pm

When I was about 7 I was going down the stairs and had to stop because everything got really shifty all of a sudden. It was my perspective. I had to sit. Ever since then stairs have been tricky.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2010, 10:56 pm

Man, I hate escalators. I just don't know when to step on, so I jump on them with hope that I land decently, to the amusement of everyone around me.

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2010, 12:03 am

When it comes to stairs, I sometimes misjudge the number of steps. Like I'd think there's one more step before I reach the top only to realize that I am on the top step, so my foot comes stomping down and throws me off a bit. Because of that I always feel the need to look down when using stairs to make sure I know how many steps to take. But that's not always easy to do, especially when I'm carrying groceries and can't see over the bags.

I had a bad experience with escalators when I was little. I tripped at the bottom of one, and was afraid of getting caught in the part where the belt goes back under. Too scared to get back onto my feet & belt moving too fast for me to do so, I crawled for my life (so yeah, I was literally going up on a down escalator... or trying to anyway.) Luckily my mother was there when this all happened and picked me up off that horrible thing. She looked at me and said "See why I told you to be careful?"
Ever since then I always do like a tiny leap. Big enough to avoid where the belt starts & ends, but small enough where I'm not straining my body & looking like I'm doing the long jump at the Olympics.

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2010, 12:46 am

FredOak3 wrote:
Oh gods, my whole life...growing up my mother would tell me I was the only person she knew who could trip going up stairs.

Still a problem, and timely topic, as I tripped down 3 steps this morning.

I trip going up stairs too! I always wondered how I manage to do that- blamed my feet for being too big. They are not freakishly large, however.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2010, 4:21 am

I have no problem with staircases and elevators; although I do tire easily from walking up stairs.

DarrylZero
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2010, 4:29 am

False_Premise wrote:
I usually fine with stairs, provided I'm looking down at where I put my feet. With escalators, I sometimes have trouble working out the timing to get on and off, end up on a joint and have to quickly move, or occassionally I end up tripping. I think I must look a bit strange when moving between levels in public :oops:

This is me, though I have gotten better at riding escalators. I've also been known to fall down and up (yes, up) stairs, including one time that resulted in an ambulance ride to the ER. :oops:

Oh, and I can't leave this topic without referencing one of my favorite Mitch Hedberg jokes...

"I like escalators. Because they can never break. They can only become stairs. 'This escalator is out of order. Sorry for the convenience.'" :D

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2010, 8:16 pm

I think the problem has something to do with visual processing difficulties. I know I have trouble when there are any shadows on the ground, when it changes color, when I go from carpet to tile, etc. My brain expects some sort of drop-off even though there's nothing there. The light/dark on stairs and the movement on escalators is more than my brain can process in the split second I have to figure out where to put my foot.

bethaniej
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Mar 2010, 8:22 pm

this is the first place I've ever seen this addressed. I always thought this was another one of those things that was 'just me.' I've always had anxiety about escalators, used to be so bad I'd freak out whenever I got to one. Used to have nightmares I'd get squished in one...but it was the same thing with getting on and off...I always had such a difficult time working out the timing of my feet in relation to the escalator. It's one of those things I've 'learned' to do.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2010, 8:36 pm

I have big problem with stairs, especially downward. When I was two, I have fallen from long stairs and have hit the furniture, later nothing was the same again :lol: Really, my Mum says she has fallen and changed to sb else :lol:
I was avoiding all the stairs and I have a Video where I sit on the stairs in my house (from which I've fallen) and I say: I can already go to ninth stair! I'm sooo proud!
I have to hold the handrail or sb's hand. When I was child, I had big scream-panic attacks on the stairs. Now when I am in the tower, I need handrail and I always gonna cry. I can get panic attack, it's stronger than me. It's such a shame - big adult woman cries like a little child. People think I'm afraid of the height, but it's only stairphobia - when I'm on the top, everything is all right, I can watch the world from great height and enjoy it.

I don't fear the escalators, but I also have to hold the handrail. It's not the same, I don't have to move on escalators!

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

cazzie2010
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jun 2010, 12:04 pm

do a lot of people have proglims with Escalator on the autism spectrum disorder? they freak me out... i take a very long time to get on them if i been in the shop before that easys me a little but most of the time i use stairs.............. like stiars better 8)

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 12:51 pm

Non-co-ordination topic

I am okay with my stairs at home, but outside stairs and escalators are challenging, due to slip worries.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

cazzie2010
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jun 2010, 12:57 pm

how do you mean, Non-co-ordination topic
my stairs at home i allways run up and down them 8)

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 1:31 pm

Yes. I have a hard time especially going downstairs. I have to hold on the handrail, and like hold my arm out and kind of 'hold on' to the wall to keep my balance. Then I have to pay all my attention to my feet so I know exactly where the step is.

I don't have to use both hands when going upstairs, but I do use the handrail, and keep my eyes on the stairs.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 3:21 pm

when i was younger i use to be afraid of the e-stairs

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 3:28 pm

My issue is primarily with the down escalators. I can't match the pace or maybe it's my depth perception..

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 6:44 pm

Brennan wrote:
Just wondering if anyone else here has difficulty with stairs and escalators, in particular going down them. I find I have a lot of trouble trying to work out exactly where the step is. I can see it, I just can't work out where it is in relation to me, if that makes any sense. To go down stairs I usually have to grip tightly onto the railing and almost inch my way down. Even stairs I have gone down many times, I still have to take them very slowly and concentrate intently on what I'm doing.

With down escalators I have a lot of trouble getting on trying to work out where the "step" is so I don't land on the join. I remember having a meltdown as a small kid whilst out shopping with my Nanna because she was trying to get me to go on the escalator and it scared the living daylights out of me cause I couldn't work out how to get on. Even today, I avoid them if there is any other way I can get down.

Does anyone else have these problems?

YES. To this day! Stairs are not as bad as escalators, because they hold still...but I still don't understand how people run down them, how they can know where they are without a death grip on the rail and my eyes glued on my feet. UP the stairs isn't hard...but down--ugh. And escalators...I hate them. Tons of fun at the airport...