Page 1 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Arminius
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2010, 4:03 pm

I know it when I see it but have never figured out why. I can modulate posture and gait and eye contact well enough to pass as neurotypical if I make an effort, but other Aspies see me and can tell.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2010, 4:26 pm

vivinator wrote:
MONKEY wrote:
Well, there are certain slight give-aways. Like large heads for example (mine is like Jimmy f***ing Neutron's :nerdy:) And there's something about the eyes as well, they either look youthful or serious with a bit of a daydreamy look to them. And the overall posture of the person.
I can usually pick up vibes off other aspies without really speaking to them, I just get a feeling like I'm drawn to them.

Aspiedar! :D

Yeah I call it A-dar, it became a bit of an injoke between me and a friend.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2010, 4:31 pm

I can usually tell if someone has Aperger's due solely to their physical composure; such as expressionless faces and stiff postures; monotonous voices; quirky mannerisms; etc..

Jaydog1212
Toucan
Toucan

31 Mar 2010, 8:34 pm

MONKEY wrote:
Well, there are certain slight give-aways. Like large heads for example (mine is like Jimmy f***ing Neutron's :nerdy:)

Is this really a physical symptom? When I was born the doctor was concerned about my large head. They "watched it" and said I would be OK. I ended up having to get a large graduation cap. It's strange though because when I look in the mirror I don't see a big head. LOL....

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2010, 8:52 pm

Some traits that most of us whom I have met in person (and pics posted on WP) seem to share:

Body:
Long Arms
Bony wrists
Slightly bell-shaped rib cage
Shorter-than-average distance between the ribs and hips
Shorter-than-average necks
Square shoulders
Arms hang out to the side, instead of being directed straight downward.

Head/Face:
Intense or dreamy, deep-set eyes
Eyes slightly too close together
Prominent features
Large head
High, wide forehead

Villette
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Mar 2010, 9:05 pm

I spotted 2 Aspies after a number of months. One is quiet and always alone, never shows emotion except for frustration about homework. Only idiosyncrasy is that she doesn't interact and prefers to be alone. Manga fan. NOT a science geek. In fact she's better at humanities and poor at science.

The second one is my chemistry teacher who cannot explain anything. Even though she has a PhD. Her notes are excellent but ppl don't attend her classes as they don't understand her. Better at small talk - talks about her family - but she doesn't seem to be close friends with the other teachers, or to be on really friendly terms with anyone. Her face is mainly expressionless. She has a smile but it's ALWAYS there and she hardly shows anger.

No arm flapping, it's abnormal introversion. But if you think about it they look normal at first sight. My other teacher's aspie son has a large head, is brilliant, and has an intense, intelligent look. Don't ask me how he won a scholarship for medicine. :scratch: He doesn't like meeting new people but he has a girlfriend and when my classmates saw his photo they said they wanted to date him. He "is too intelligent for normal ppl" and wrote a blog opposing the government. He doesn't look that hot either, and there are other guys who look like that.

Do girls like sensitive looking intellectuals?

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2010, 9:13 pm

Kaysea wrote:
Some traits that most of us whom I have met in person (and pics posted on WP) seem to share:

Body:
Long Arms
Bony wrists
Slightly bell-shaped rib cage
Shorter-than-average distance between the ribs and hips
Shorter-than-average necks
Square shoulders
Arms hang out to the side, instead of being directed straight downward.

Head/Face:
Intense or dreamy, deep-set eyes
Eyes slightly too close together
Prominent features
Large head
High, wide forehead

Wow it's me! I just dont have a short neck or square shoulders.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2010, 9:27 pm

The glazed over eyes.
Thats about it really.

Rest isn't physical.

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2010, 9:30 pm

Of course, physically, you *could* find some common things in mannerisms, facial expressions, etc.

I think the little mention about it, is that it's not part of the diagnosis, and because it's not super obvious, really. I mean, sure, it's quirky, but some people just walk funny anyway and don't have to be on the spectrum to do so.

Look at gang members-in our area, they ALL walk with a limp. It's a very distinct differences from one group to the next-maybe they lift their leg a certain way when limping, maybe they take longer to put that foot down, maybe it's barely even noticeable, but it's still there.

So while walking awkwardly a lot of the time is something that probably many of us do, it's something a lot of other people do, as well. Same with most of our other differences.

On a parenting forum I'm on... it was rather interesting. A few parents kept bringing it up in the photos section-they said we all seem to have almond shaped eyes. Smaller towards the middle and wider on the other sides. It was interesting. Some called them "tear dropped shaped eyes". But I doubt that is all of us... looking at the pictures though, I saw what they were talking about. It was pretty coincidental.

"I enjoyed the meetings, too. It was like having friends." -Luna Lovegood

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2010, 9:38 pm

anbuend wrote:
invisible disability doesn't mean that it's impossible to tell. It just means the average person wouldn't notice because the characteristics are not well known. A paraplegic may be visible in a wheelchair but not in bed.

haha, that reminds me of John Locke in the show "Lost", when they carry him onto the plane and put him in the seat. Because he wasn't in a wheelchair, nobody on the island knew that he ever was in one, so they knew no different when he was walking around.

Sorry... started watching that show recently so I've been referring to it a bit.

"I enjoyed the meetings, too. It was like having friends." -Luna Lovegood

Notsurprised
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Mar 2010, 10:57 pm

Just adding what I know about myself
Yes my head is bigger than what i think is normal. I know this because of useing welding helmets at work I am a small guy but i have to adjust a helmet to the max size.

Also I have a high pitched voice for a man, often get confused as being a woman when talking on the phone

Also the look years younger thing too.

Also I am ambedextrous write with what ever hand suits me. Can draw what ever (I know this is something not to be proud of. I have read the studies out of Germany and how doctors and phycs try to tell me it's not a bad thing) Oh young enough not to have been forced at school to use my right hand

Also suffer from migrains and can not even talk with even the slightest amount of pot (THC) A couple of tokes and I am effected for months it seems.

Years ago my mother commented about the way I walk, something about my gate

Yes I think it (being on the spectrum) shows. I see that "something is different" in my bother too.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 12:44 am

does this look like aspergers?

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 1:02 am

auntblabby wrote:
does this look like aspergers?

You just look very alert to me- like you had a lot of coffee. And cute!

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 7:24 am

You look a lot like my brother in law who I have suspected has AS for several years! Handsome!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 8:50 am

pumibel wrote:
You just look very alert to me- like you had a lot of coffee. And cute!

thank you very much pumibel :)
that "alert" look was one of beleagered wariness due to getting the bum's rush from drill instructors in army basic training, where that photo was taken in the early 80s. now some photos of you, por favor?

angelbear wrote:
You look a lot like my brother in law who I have suspected has AS for several years! Handsome!

merci beaucoup, angelbear :) i hope your brother-in-law is somebody you get along well with. i'm amazed that you would see handsomeness in this army basic training photo, as at the time i felt totally spacey, ugly and out-of-place. now some photos of you, s'il vous plait?

natty
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Apr 2010, 8:53 am

i would have said the photo is of a person with aspergers , the smile , the eyes and the head tilt do it for me . do you know if they have aspergers ?