Best Place to Live with Asperger's/Autism

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Nov 2014, 7:05 pm

I live in Burlington, Vermont & like it aLOT better than where I lived before in a rural unheard of town in south Louisiana. There's bus service, it's alot more liberal so there's lots more social services, better health care, & doesn't usually get very hot & humid.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2014, 7:53 pm

I live around Denver Colorado, admittedly does not seem there are a ton of autism resources...but I kind of like the area. There is public transportation though it can be a little unreliable at times. Also people tend to be somewhat friendly yet mind there own buisiness, like aren't all that nosy....there are some more snobbish parts of town where this is not the case, and I tend to avoid those areas, to expensive anyways.

Permanator
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Apr 2015, 6:46 pm

I live in the DC suburbs of Maryland and I hate it! I am 27 years old and live with my parents and drive them crazy.

I want to move out of state, but cannot find a way to transition.

I heard NJ and NYS have good services, but my parents say "I need to get a job to move first". I cant get anything in MD.

Please help.

Peppermintdreads
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Aug 2016, 6:38 pm

Seems I'm a little late to this thread, but oh well.

I'm a 36 year old woman with Asperger's. Wasn't diagnosed until my early 30s. But anyways...

You wouldn't think it, but Cleveland, Ohio is actually one of the best places for Aspies. I'm a native Clevelander currently living in the Philadelphia/Wilmington, DE area. I hate it! I'm making plans to move back to my hometown.

Cleveland is very affordable, has excellent medical systems (Cleveland Clinic, UH), some of the best universities in the country (CWRU, JC, BW, Oberlin, etc), and excellent public transit. The people are extremely friendly and welcoming and neighborly but reserved at the same time. It's fairly tolerant (also one of the most gay-friendly cities). It's becoming an artistic Mecca and the techie industry is also growing rapidly.

I wouldn't recommend it though if you suffer from seasonal depression. It's cold and dreary most of the time and only gets an average of 63 totally sunny days a year.

Speaking from personal experience, stay away from Philadelphia (although it was on "the best" list too) and the entire state of Delaware.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2018, 11:23 pm

Anywhere where it has a lot of Autism resources like California, Minnesota, or Texas or anywhere where it is really sensory friendly like Iowa or North Dakota. That is based on research and not experience I haven't lived in any of the mentioned states besides California.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2018, 1:06 am

Es2Telle wrote:
My husband and I are seriously considering to move out of TX for many reasons and I need to know and I am researching for the best states to live especially for me that I am autistic until now I found New Jersey to have many resources. Please any advice or recomendations. Thanks!! ! ! ![/b]

That's easy. Texas.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2018, 5:25 am

move to the countryside. nice quiet life with less wizzy technology around you to make your head hurt.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2018, 9:59 pm

Germany, because we're such honest people and our aspie traits such as needing personal space and not liking small talk are seen as normal behaviour there. There are other traits that are seen as normal behaviour such as a strict need for schedules and a love for rules.

Serpentine
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Aug 2018, 2:51 pm

Hmm. An old thread but worth revisiting!

Moving from Southern California to rural western South Dakota is probably the best thing I could have done for my sanity. SoCal was so crowded, so busy, so fast-moving, so polluted, so noisy, with so much traffic. I couldn't handle it.

Where I am now is a little ranching town (pop. 600) on the prairie just east of the Black Hills and Rapid City. It's super quiet and peaceful. I can see the Milky Way at night, and sometimes even the Northern Lights. Lots of wide open spaces where I am, and forests just to the west. Sometimes I have the entire interstate all to myself.

There are tradeoffs, of course. No public transit and I have to go to Rapid City for treatment (or even groceries). There is a shortage of mental health professionals, though I got lucky and found a couple of good ones. The political climate is not favorable for those with disabilities who need public assistance. The weather is very harsh. But I can deal with it. People are nice here and the pace of life is much slower. I don't feel like I'm going to lose my mind every time I go out. And if I need to take a walk at 3 am I can do so with no fear of being attacked. Well, by humans anyway. But wildlife I can deal with. I'm mostly feral myself. Not entirely kidding there.

- Joanne M. Harris, The Testament of Loki

Lorrent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Aug 2018, 3:06 am

Switzerland because no one looks after you when you stim. People are rather direct but in a polite way. Also small talk isn't really a thing here. We dont have big noisy cities and alot of nature where one can relax.

RAADS-R: 134

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2018, 9:13 am

https://connecticuthistory.org/the-thim ... g-history/
The Thimble Islands – Little Islands with a Big History

Biskit69
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Aug 2018, 2:39 pm

Unless you're mid functioning or low functioning autstic I don't think there can be a certain "place" to live with aspergers. Or maybe it just doesn't affect my life that much

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2018, 10:40 am

...An old line 8O !

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!