Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

help2017
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Aug 2018, 10:45 pm

How common is it for people with AS to use "comfort words" to calm down?
I'm talking about idiosyncratic phrases (I won't share mine because they're odd) that one repeats a few times when thinking about something that causes discomfort the utterance of which relieves the discomfort and allows you to go back to whatever you would normally be doing.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 11:16 pm

"It'll be okay" or "it's okay" to de-escalate anxiety.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2018, 10:00 am

...Hm :? .

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

mawilegirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Aug 2018, 1:28 pm

Hmmm.. For me, if someone says "It'll be okay" to me when I am having a meltdown, it really helps.

As for what I tend to utter to myself repeatedly to self-soothe; humming-like noises, not really any words. Humming is a huge stim for me! :albino:

Level 2 ASD diagnosed