Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 7:33 pm

I told a friend today that I have Asperger's. His first response was "No you don't," which he repeated several times. This was annoying, but I assured him that I did. But then he said "Unless you're acting all the time?" I was a little offended by this. I thought about it and said that I wasn't. I have to think about the appropriate response to social ques, but I don't think this is acting. I don't naturally know how to respond, but when I do, it's still me. I think ... or is it? Now he's got me questioning myself. Am I genuine or am I like a robot calculating the possible responses and the consequences of my responses.
Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm not sure what to make of his comment.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 7:45 pm

I think you let people in when you're close to them, and they can see through this "mask." I also think that it takes some time before a lot of us are confident enough to show a lot of our true self to the outside world. Maybe some people are completely fake sometimes and aren't at others. Don't feel like you're lying about who you are. If you're comfortable enough to TELL this person, then I'm pretty sure that you haven't been "fake" toward him.

I know someone like this. They were a completely different person in public (he is an Aspie and didn't feel comfortable being himself in public enough to talk to me), and barely spoke to me when we were. When we were only around each other, he was completely himself and I felt very close to him. I have since then realized I'm very similar to him in this way. It isn't all the time, but I sometimes am unintentionally this way.

Barefoot_Boy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Apr 2012, 8:00 pm

Whether it's acting or not, I have acted out of my way in order to try and fit in. It doesn't work for me very much. I am tired of doing this. I want to be myself.

John Greenleaf Whittier

Halligeninseln
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Apr 2012, 8:03 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
I told a friend today that I have Asperger's. His first response was "No you don't," which he repeated several times. This was annoying, but I assured him that I did. But then he said "Unless you're acting all the time?" I was a little offended by this. I thought about it and said that I wasn't. I have to think about the appropriate response to social ques, but I don't think this is acting. I don't naturally know how to respond, but when I do, it's still me. I think ... or is it? Now he's got me questioning myself. Am I genuine or am I like a robot calculating the possible responses and the consequences of my responses.
Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm not sure what to make of his comment.

Why did he think you are acting all the time? I don't really understand what this would mean in this context. I feel I act a lot of the time, in that I have to decide what a normal person expects to hear in a given situation and then say more or less that, to keep them happy. This is because I feel I think differently to how people require me to be and so I adapt to the latter rather than being myself. But I don't have to do this absolutely all the time.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 8:04 pm

Barefoot_Boy wrote:
Whether it's acting or not, I have acted out of my way in order to try and fit in. It doesn't work for me very much. I am tired of doing this. I want to be myself.

Then show yourself, and if people don't accept you, forget 'em and find people that do. That is how I am now, and I am a lot happier for being this way.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 8:04 pm

The tone of my voice sounds ever so slightly different to me when I'm in social situations than it does if I'm by myself or with close family. This is not a conscious thing; it just kind of comes out that way. Always has.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 8:26 pm

Halligeninseln wrote:
I feel I act a lot of the time, in that I have to decide what a normal person expects to hear in a given situation and then say more or less that, to keep them happy. This is because I feel I think differently to how people require me to be and so I adapt to the latter rather than being myself. But I don't have to do this absolutely all the time.

I think I do try to keep people happy most of the time (most conversation is just babble anyway,) unless they say something I really disagree with. I do say what I really believe.
I'm not sure why he said this either, but it really irked me.

Kinme, I am very reluctant to show myself to the outside world. Maybe this is why his comment upset me - because I was trying to open up and he suggested that I do the opposite.

falonsayswoah
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Apr 2012, 8:38 pm

Since my junior year of high school, when I really started feeling like I had to fit in, I kind of get into this character in public.. I've done it for so long that I don't really think much about it.. It's just something I do. I wore makeup for a while to try to fit in more, but that was tiring and it bugs me too much so I stopped. My friends that have seen me both in school and outside of school say I'm totally different.

Diagnosis: Major Depressive Affective Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Mild PTSD, Agoraphobia with Panic Disorder, Attention Deficit Disorder of childhood with hyperactivity (more inattentive, though), Mild OCD, Social Phobia, Tourette's Syndrome

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 8:43 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
Halligeninseln wrote:
I feel I act a lot of the time, in that I have to decide what a normal person expects to hear in a given situation and then say more or less that, to keep them happy. This is because I feel I think differently to how people require me to be and so I adapt to the latter rather than being myself. But I don't have to do this absolutely all the time.

I think I do try to keep people happy most of the time (most conversation is just babble anyway,) unless they say something I really disagree with. I do say what I really believe.
I'm not sure why he said this either, but it really irked me.

Kinme, I am very reluctant to show myself to the outside world. Maybe this is why his comment upset me - because I was trying to open up and he suggested that I do the opposite.

Don't be. You have a lot to give, and if people don't accept it, move on. All of these people on this forum are accepting and understanding- don't you think there are people "in the real world" who are too?

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 8:56 pm

Thanks Kinme ... I guess I should keep trudging through in my own way. Either others understand or they don't, but I don't want to lose myself.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 9:10 pm

I've stopped acting a long time ago. I just let my true colours show and be myself. I can be quite pleasant to be with, as well.

kBillingsley
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Apr 2012, 9:16 pm

Why are so many people so averted to the artificial? Embrace the synthetic: you can be you while showing everyone someone else, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 9:21 pm

kBillingsley wrote:
Why are so many people so averted to the artificial? Embrace the synthetic: you can be you while showing everyone someone else, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I suppose there isn't really. I just don't like that he thought I was disingenuous - I try to stay true to myself because I've gotten lost before. But maybe I don't owe others my soul. Thanks!

slave
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 11:12 pm

The NT's act and wear masks as well it's just that their true self is NT and their masks are NT.

Our true self is ASD and some of us can act like an NT. Some of us cannot.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 12:10 am

i can't act to save my own life. i wear who i am on my sleeves.

biribiri20
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Apr 2012, 12:26 am

I have yet to be diagnosed with AS so I have to hide my true self all the time. People say it's okay to be yourself but they're lying. The moment I start being myself, people start to hate me for it or get annoyed with me, so I've eventually learned to just hide that part of me. I'm still me though and I still tend to have my moments that they tend to catch, but I think I'm well-liked or at least believable for the most part. I just wish I could be more myself when I was around them. Oh well.

Diagnosis: ADHD-PI, suspected AS
Your Aspie Score: 142 of 200, Your NT Score: 74 of 200, You are very likely an Aspie
AQ: 38/EQ: 16/SQ: 52