Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2006, 2:07 am

Compulsory pension? No sir, I can do without any of that man. Who wants to be pay for a possible future of being an old Aspie who is waiting to die alone? If by all of my intentions and effort I fail to have a life being young person, how the hell is being over 68 years (possible pension age) going to be any better. Loneliness is going to kill me before then, if I don’t get sick of living before I get old.

Your 20s and 30s are going to be the years of free-love, wild parties and drugs sex and rock & role compared to old age as an Aspie.

If I am not fit enough to work, then I am not fit enough to live. Nobody is going to force me into no pension plan, well not without a fight anyway.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2006, 4:00 am

Why must work be the aim of one's life? Can one not find other purposes to work towards, after finding one is no longer physically capable of maintaining a full-time job?

My grandparents, for example, are both retired; but my grandfather has gone back to college and gotten a degree in psychology; and he is in his eighties... my grandmother maintains a rose garden the size of two lots of property, in the suburbs...

Why should earning money be so all-important? Or is it something else connected to the job? I don't understand.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2006, 7:48 am

I agree. I'm on the disability pension, but I don't see that as the end of it all. I plan to study as much as I can.
There will always be something to do...

TheGreyBadger
Toucan
Toucan

04 Apr 2006, 9:05 am

If being 68 years old and on a pension and living alone and being Aspie is so bad, why am I so happy? I'm 67, own my own home, walk to school with my bookbag over my shoulder like someone six decades younger, hang out with science fiction people and neopagans, and in general have more fun than sex, drugs, or rock'n'roll ever provided. I guess you have to be there. Among the other pleasures is seeing that everything people get hysterical about in their day have all proven to be either passing fads or an ongoing part of the human condition (i.e. Red Alert! One of our politicians is stealing public funds! Teenagers are having S*X! Skirts are too short/bellybuttons showing are obscene/comic books, no, videogames are Ruining Our CHildren...snicker, laugh, chortle.)

And I don't have to worry about popularity, wearing the right shoes or jeans, bad hair days, or if someone likes me or not - all that is far behind me and nobody expects conformity to such things from someone my age.

Major problems? Only the annual more-certain-than-death need to catch up with my finances and get a tax return filed, the soundtracks in public places, and what to do about a big back yard. Everyone should have such problems. :roll:

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2006, 2:36 pm

TheGreyBadger wrote:
If being 68 years old and on a pension and living alone and being Aspie is so bad, why am I so happy?

I wonder if you were happy in your younger years. I would not consider myself to be happy person. I suffer from depression created by loneliness of having Aspergers and the loneliness is row, it takes more then words to stop this feeling, like you can use words to convince a poor man he is happier poor. Sometime I feel the void in the pit of my stomach because of emptiness. I cannot drink alcohol sometime because it makes me depressed badly. I feel trapped, because I cannot find an answer or trade this feeling for another one. If you was to ask me the worst thing that happened to me in my life,I would answer “the need if being loved”.

I highly doubt that you felt like this when you were younger, because it reflex that somehow you have managed to reach an old age and be happy.

I wonder if you have any children at all?

TheGreyBadger
Toucan
Toucan

04 Apr 2006, 6:39 pm

I was miserably unhappy in my youth clear through high school. College was somewhat better. Yes, I have children, two daughters; and three grandchildren.

Happy times? When I turned 35 and determined to get out of the house, go back to school, get a job, etc. When I ran away from home at 50. When I got a job, until the Big Reorganization. Retirement. When I was writing and actually being published (via Darkover fandom - long story).

I was also happy reading science fiction and doing whatever creative projects came to mind (once my ex was not longer around to complain about the mess!)

"Call no one happy until the funeral" - some dead Greek.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2006, 1:00 pm

TheGreyBadger wrote:
I was miserably unhappy in my youth clear through high school. College was somewhat better. Yes, I have children, two daughters; and three grandchildren.

Happy times? When I turned 35 and determined to get out of the house, go back to school, get a job, etc. When I ran away from home at 50. When I got a job, until the Big Reorganization. Retirement. When I was writing and actually being published (via Darkover fandom - long story).

I was also happy reading science fiction and doing whatever creative projects came to mind (once my ex was not longer around to complain about the mess!)

"Call no one happy until the funeral" - some dead Greek.

It is good that your life turned out good, it is what I expected to hear. Even though many aspies don't have children, I also figured that you would have some. I might be hard for you to realise how having those children have made you life so fullfilling. A part of the reason for wanting to live as an old person is to support you children and grandchildren. Without the the only way to survive being old, is to have never have neaded someone to love or plenty of good memories.