Why do neurotypicals become stupid as they enter adulthood?

Page 4 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

28 Feb 2012, 8:05 am

Mithos wrote:
Bun wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Mithos wrote:
Isn't it against the rules to revive dead topics anyway?
No, but it's generally considered bad form.
And it's confusing, evidently. :?
I agree actually. Topic Reviving generally gets you a warning and then a ban if it continues.
Not here. But pushing it to extremes wouldn't be a good idea. :wink:

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 8:09 am

SrRes wrote:
To be clear, I didn't mean to imply that everyone with autism is intolerant. Just some, like with all people. I just find these kind of threads so annoying, be it here or elsewhere. On the whole, this seems to be quite nice community.

Believe me, I find threads like this infuriatingly ignorant myself. :lol:

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 8:28 am

SrRes wrote:
As a NT, these kind of threads are really eye openers. I first came to these forums to gain some insight to what Asperger's syndrome really is and how it affects a person's life. Well, I think I've achieved those goals, at least to some extent. I now know how hard it can be to have AS or can imagine it, at least. And when I first when I encountered threads like these, I thought the generalisations were caused by the different way of thinking the people with Asperger's have and I still think that is true: some people just don't understand, like NT's don't understand those with AS. For a while people here seemed really tolerant and I was pleasantly surprised.

But of course, the more I read, the more it seemed that in quite a few cases the reasons were more typical. You know, ignorance, arrogance, unwarranted self importance and stuff like that. Because of this I've come to a conclusion that I was wrong about the tolerance. It seems that people with Asperger's are no different from those so called normal people in terms of illogical thinking and vast generalisations. These traits are as common here as they are in any other message boards I frequent. I guess it is true that some (ignorant) people just hate what they can not understand: these kind of threads are proof of it. Congratulations, in terms of bigotry, you are no different from NT's. I admit now that it was naive to think that people with Asperger's would be more tolerant than others. People are people, after all.

By the way, English is not my first language, so I apologise if I sound clumsy.

Basically correct.

Aspies (generally) are no more loving, forgiving or understanding than other humans.

monstermunch
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Feb 2012, 10:43 am

Mithos wrote:
monstermunch wrote:
Young adults are stupid because most seem to think that drinking and getting drunk is great, and this sometimes can run all the way through one's life, but when you get to a certain age in life, most people start to realise that clubbing and dancing and drinking in a noisy bar all night isn't so great, especially after they settle down with kids or in their own home and have to work to live and have other responsibilities to worry about.

That is probably the main reason why I can relate to older people better than I can other youngsters of my age.
This. 8O

Well I do have friends of my own age but I'm not the type who thinks drinking is so wonderful, so in that respect I can relate to older people, they tend to agree that drinking is not always great.

ScottyN
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Feb 2012, 6:54 pm

An amazingly generalized an ignorant statement by the OP. No further comnment.