Horribly unsupportive family, can't stand it.

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 4:58 pm

Chronos wrote:
I think your dad just can't argue with the fact that you're smarter than him.

naw he was probably just hurt that he'd tried hard to get the special sausage thing but didnt get any appreciation. he meant well...
and maybe he just didnt know what to do about the boy, its not like he could kick his ass or anything. so perhaps he made excuses to protect his pride. sounds like he has trouble admitting when hes wrong or doesnt understand something. be patient

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 6:14 pm

Todesking wrote:
My family and I were watching some talk show I think it was the doctors, I do not remember but they were talking about autism then they started talking about Aspergers and its traits to watch out for and my parents were like thats you. They always knew I was a little bit off so at least they know why. They have been very supportive of me getting an evaluation in August. They always thought I was lazy because I have an above average IQ and only get low paying jobs. :oops: They also thought that I fail at job interviews on purpose to get out of doing a job. :roll: Ya, so I could stay at a lower paying job and take an safer easier better paying job.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAR1m8G19QM&feature=PlayList&p=97F0BA72A0293658&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=1[/youtube] this one?

Variant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jul 2010, 7:19 pm

I know exactly how you feel jametto, my father is the same way. I sleep around the same times you do and hear the same things from my dad. Except my room is very tidy, but he finds other things to complain about.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 9:39 pm

Followthereaper90,

I do not think it was this episode, they mentioned Wrong Planet thats how I found out about it.

Adventure4U1
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Feb 2014, 3:43 pm

Ugh- Those is no way a clean house tells you WHAT KINDA PEOPLE LIVE THERE. MY PARENTS HAVE A UBER CLEAN HOUSE BUT MY ROOM IS A MESS AND DAD HAS TO FORCE ME TO CLEAN IT. Mom's a perfectionist with my hair and is so concerned that the boys will slip in a winter storm. I'm sure they'll be much happier at college. It's annoying.
Don't think I"m gonna clean anything often when I'm on my own. But I'll be an nice person with some flaws.

I don't sleep at the same times you do, but I perfect to wake up early at 5:00 to have time to write and Dad tries to make me go back to bed.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 5:05 pm

Your dad's insistence that a clean house makes for good people sounds a little black and white autisticky to me.

From what you have written, you sound pretty awesome. So does your dad. Really. And he does, as you acknowledge, love you hugely. Nevertheless, the situation sounds pretty awful for ALL of you. Would your dad be open to someone, professional or otherwise [I vote otherwise] who could be an intermediary between you and your father? Someone who could help your dad understand where you are coming from? Someone who could help you understand where you are coming from? And possibly help the both of you work out a compromise?

From my perspective as an autistic mom and granny with one stepson[ not autistic...definitely a cousin though] who spends quite a bit of time out drinking, I can understand the frustration of both you and your dad.

I would like to share with you what might be going through your dad's mind. I will not so much mention what you are thinking and feeling, only because you already know how you feel [so, I am not picking on you]

One of my stepsons is an incredibly sweet and kind person who would give anyone the shirt off his back. He also stays out till closing time at the bars quite often. When he has been out drinking at night there is no way in hell or high water that I am going to keep things quiet in the mornings[ as a matter of fact, I'm the first one who will start banging the pots and pans],let alone the afternoons. If he were working a graveyard shift at night that what be a different thing.

You have put your parents in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't position." You do realize this,don't you? They feel whatever they do is the wrong thing, and, as a parent, that is a horrible feeling [ and SO frustrating]

They want what's best for you. They want what is best for the entire family. They really do not want to push you to do anything you are not able or willing to do, but they also do not want to be enablers. That would be awful. I really believe that they do want to support you but are beyond frustrated at what is the best way to do it. I also think they might feel under appreciated. Once again, I would recommend an intermediary. Once again, I think they love you. Sometimes the fiercest love can be the most prickly.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 5:52 pm

Please don't dig up dead threads. The OP doesn't appear to be around any more to respond.