Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

KEWLGUY
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Sep 2007, 8:36 pm

can long acting histamines like allegra combined with corticosteriods cure aspergers(not autism just aspergers)since it is believed that aspegers is believed to be caused by immune reactions with the most likely canidates being casien and gluten(note there are higher peptides in urine of people with aspergers which means that there is some type of allergy)

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

14 Sep 2007, 8:40 pm

Doubt it. We still don't know the cause yet, anyway. And Aspergers is a FORM of autism; not a seperate entity.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

14 Sep 2007, 8:45 pm

I doubt it but I'm about to take 10 mg of loratadine (Claritin) for my itchy sore throat. Will let you know if it has any other benefits. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loratadine

KEWLGUY
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Sep 2007, 8:48 pm

if it does work you would have to take it for at least 3 months before you notice any change.(you will have to take it for life if it does work) and it will have to be a long lasting antihistamine.;(ie allegra.)takeing corticosteriods with it will reduce the time it takes.Claritine isnt long lasting enought to work..unless you overdose.

Last edited by KEWLGUY on 14 Sep 2007, 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KEWLGUY
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Sep 2007, 8:51 pm

aspergers and sutism are not viewed as seperate entities yet this isnt scientic fact.It is mainly a thing of opinion.Current literature shows that they are in actualization two distinct entities with aspergers haveing more of a genectic factor.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

14 Sep 2007, 8:54 pm

KEWLGUY wrote:
if it does work you would have to take it for at least 3 months and it will have to be a long lasting antihistamine.;(ie allegra.)takeing corticosteriods with it will reduce the time it takes.

Loratadine half-life: 8 hrs
Fexofenadine(Allegra): 14.4 hours

So that would mean twice daily dosing of an IR forumla of Allegra
and three times daily dosing of Clartin.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2007, 9:13 pm

KEWLGUY wrote:
aspergers and sutism are not viewed as seperate entities yet this isnt scientic fact.It is mainly a thing of opinion.Current literature shows that they are in actualization two distinct entities with aspergers haveing more of a genectic factor.

Actually, I was at an autism conference a couple of months ago, and they said that studies have shown no significant difference between HFA and AS, so they're thinking of combining the two (into HFA).

monty
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2007, 10:20 pm

The newer 'non-drowsy' antihistamines like Allegra and Claritin are non-drowsy because they do not pass through the blood-brain barrier. Which suggests that they would not be so effective in protecting the brain from allergic reactions. Histamine in certain parts of the brain is very associated with wakefulness.

There are many different types of immune reaction and the mast cells that drop packets of histamine and serotonin may or may not be involved in the immunity factors of autism. There are a host of immune hormones - interferons, TNF, interleukins that may play a role. There are antibodies that target the nerve cells. There are proteins in the cells that get turned on or off in response to immune reactions.

I like antihistamines (the old fashioned kinds like benadryl) for my circadian cycles, for drying my sinuses and for neurovascular headaches. But I become a zombie if I take them during the day.

Zwerfbeertje
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Sep 2007, 3:38 am

KEWLGUY wrote:
can long acting histamines like allegra combined with corticosteriods cure aspergers(not autism just aspergers)

No.

Quote:
... since it is believed that aspegers is believed to be caused by immune reactions with the most likely canidates being casien and gluten ...

It is believed? By whom? What are your sources?

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 11:49 am

There are a few reports where some anti-histamines can temporarily reduce ADHD symptoms a little (not a cure) for a few persons (not everyone).

At the same time, the stimulants/alerting agents is the single classification of medicines most closely associated with the temporary reduction of ADHD symptoms (not the anti-histamines).

None of the stimulants/alerting agent medicines for ADHD are cures.

There are no cures for Asperger - Autism to my knowledge.

Asperger - Autism - ADHD are not allergies.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 5:21 pm

Quote:
can histamines

Histamines can do things but not of their own volition so the answer is both yes and no.

The year is still young.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 3:13 am

Antihistamines are used in psychiatric care to boost the effect of sleeping medication and antipsychotics, i.e. to increase the weight of the chemical cosh.

It would not be in the least bit surprising if some measure of autism was "better" whilst semi-sedated, but it does not in any way mean that there is an improvement in the quality of life of the person being examined. It might well improve the quality of life of the parents with autistic children who present a behavioural challenge, by chemically sedating the children.

conan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 5:58 am

histamines cannot pass the blood brain barrier so histamines as a neurotransmitter and as an inflamatorry agent do different things and are not correlated

Darth_Barbie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Sep 2010, 1:45 pm

I know that one person isn't a case study, and can hardly be counted as proof of anything, but I have taken various antihistamines and corticosteroids over the years, for my allergies and asthma. And not one single combination of the drugs has made any difference whatsoever in my AS symptoms or tendencies. So, I'd have to venture an answer of no.