I have rheumatoid arthritis 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
I have another type of arthritis (see below) 33%  33%  [ 9 ]
I do not have arthritis 33%  33%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 27

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 8:44 pm

Any form, do you have it? At what age did your symptoms begin if you can recall?

Despite my young age (26), I have osteoarthritis throughout my back, neck, hands, knees, and somewhat through my hips. I started showing signs in my lower back around age 20/21, it then spread from there. My knees and hands were next, then hips, and finally my neck.

Also, what's your age, and any other medical conditions you have (which may give some pointers as to co-occurring conditions)?

For me, I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, Insulin Resistance, IBS, asthma, sinus allergies, and I suspect I may have an IgA Deficiency (autoimmune condition) and a mild gluten allergy (which leads to my IBS).

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 9:24 pm

I think I might have some arthritis as a result of years of manual labor, but I can't afford to get it diagnosed or treated.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 9:53 pm

im not DXed...

but i had rhumathoid arthritis when i was very young, about 1-2 yrs old... luckily, it went away on its own... they don't know why. i still have the xrays and such though... and i still have bad knees

edit: i also have some sort of femine issues goin on... i've had cysts and growths and mysterious pains since my teens... maybe endo.... damned if the doctors don't know.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 9:55 pm

although my RA went away... i still voted as having it

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 10:28 pm

WOW, where was all this stuff EARLIER?!?!?!? Out of all the unexplained problems I have had, I can now answer with TWO diagnosis!! !! !

1. Diagnosed ADD, but ALSO am shy, smart, hyperfocus, have BIG interests, etc.... CONCLUSION that fits all that ????? AS
2. Diagnosed with Osteo Arthritis(Around 32 with referred pain caused by effects to the lumbar and cervical regions). BTW In retrospect, I DID have symptoms of a problem with this in my early 20s. 32 was just about when I was diagnosed, when it was debilitating. I also have a lower than normal body temperature, balding, fatigue, mental fog, migraines, low magnesium, etc.... CONCLUSION that fits all that ????? mild gluten allergy. If I cut my gluten down enough, I almost feel like I have taken a stimulant! My whole attitude seems to change.

I STILL have to figure out how to remove gluten from my diet 100%, but I am already doing a LOT better.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 10:31 pm

I am strong as a horse, healthy too. I am 56 years old and have osteoarthritis in my left knee and left hip and left ankle. I found it was because of all the years of getting out of the driver's side, putting all my weight on my left side and twisting my body to get out of the car.

I get cortisone shots in my knee joint.

I have hypothryoidism, too. oh, yeah, and Aspergers'

Merle

and PTSD. . forgot about that. ..

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 10:40 pm

Sedaka wrote:
im not DXed...

but i had rhumathoid arthritis when i was very young, about 1-2 yrs old... luckily, it went away on its own... they don't know why. i still have the xrays and such though... and i still have bad knees

edit: i also have some sort of femine issues goin on... i've had cysts and growths and mysterious pains since my teens... maybe endo.... damned if the doctors don't know.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is one of the most common causes of female infertility, affecting approximately 10% of women. With that can come problematic cysts as well as other issues.

If you haven't looked into that, it would certainly be the first to check out, due simply to how common the condition is.

You can get tested too, via blood test. They will look at your luteinizing and follicle stimulating hormones since there would likely be a particular kind of hallmark unbalance between the two.

ukenkerl wrote:
2. Diagnosed with Osteo Arthritis(Around 32 with referred pain caused by effects to the lumbar and cervical regions). BTW In retrospect, I DID have symptoms of a problem with this in my early 20s. 32 was just about when I was diagnosed, when it was debilitating. I also have a lower than normal body temperature, balding, fatigue, mental fog, migraines, low magnesium, etc.... CONCLUSION that fits all that ????? mild gluten allergy. If I cut my gluten down enough, I almost feel like I have taken a stimulant! My whole attitude seems to change.

Have you found a decrease in inflammation/pain of your osteo in relation to the amount of gluten you consume?

I have wondered that for myself, whether this isn't some sort of chronic reactive arthritis triggered by GI allergy which just mimics the more typical version of osteoarthritis (usually seen in older ages).

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 10:49 pm

I don't know what it's called, other than degenerative arthritis. I've had it in my back and hands since my teens. My neck is worse and now I think it's in my knees and hips. It's not dx'ed, though a disgruntled chiropractor admitted that's what was wrong with me.

I used to take tons of Tylenol in my teens and 20's, I stopped and haven't taken it since. I recently tried Aleve (generic version) and it doesn't work. So, I'm in pain a lot (not as bad as it used to be). Walking and dancing are the best ways to remedy it. beer is good. I'm trying out pillows at night between my knees.

I have had bouts of asthma. Otherwise, I haven't had a compromised immune system in years.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 10:50 pm

This isn't a professional article but may have some information:

http://www.celiac.com/articles/85/1/Art ... Page1.html

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 10:53 pm

KimJ wrote:
I don't know what it's called, other than degenerative arthritis. I've had it in my back and hands since my teens. My neck is worse and now I think it's in my knees and hips. It's not dx'ed, though a disgruntled chiropractor admitted that's what was wrong with me.

I used to take tons of Tylenol in my teens and 20's, I stopped and haven't taken it since. I recently tried Aleve (generic version) and it doesn't work. So, I'm in pain a lot (not as bad as it used to be). Walking and dancing are the best ways to remedy it. beer is good. I'm trying out pillows at night between my knees.

I have had bouts of asthma. Otherwise, I haven't had a compromised immune system in years.

I'm not exactly certain what kind of arthritis isn't degenerative except those due to direct injury. Your arthritis is hitting the hotspots of osteoarthritis: back, neck, hips, knees, and hands.

jaydog
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 10:57 pm

i also have degenerative arthritis, and i also have to sleep with a huge pillow in between by knees and 2 pillows under my head to get some sleep. (not alot though)

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 10:57 pm

Sophist wrote:
Sedaka wrote:
im not DXed...

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is one of the most common causes of female infertility, affecting approximately 10% of women. With that can come problematic cysts as well as other issues.

If you haven't looked into that, it would certainly be the first to check out, due simply to how common the condition is.

You can get tested too, via blood test. They will look at your luteinizing and follicle stimulating hormones since there would likely be a particular kind of hallmark unbalance between the two.

they checked my hormone lvls..... those are fine......... i WISH that they had found SOMETHING for all this crap....... i have yet ANOTHER ultrasound next week, woot!

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 11:00 pm

I'm not Dxed either. My hands have it pretty bad though they're not in constant pain, only when I use them alot. They'll become a bright red if I work through the pain and they stiffen up and cramp. I also have some lower back pain, some neck pain, and my left knee pops quite a bit.

I wake up stiff and sore all over too, it seems time dependent. Before I got more cushioning I could only get four hours of rather poor sleep, now I can get eight or nine as long as I don't lay down before I intend to sleep.

I'm 29. I noticed the arthritis in my hands in my teens. The sleep thing started in my early twenty's. I've had neck problems since I was hit by that pickup truck.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 11:04 pm

Sophist wrote:
ukenkerl wrote:

Have you found a decrease in inflammation/pain of your osteo in relation to the amount of gluten you consume?

I have wondered that for myself, whether this isn't some sort of chronic reactive arthritis triggered by GI allergy which just mimics the more typical version of osteoarthritis (usually seen in older ages).

My theory is the the arthritis is created by a magnesium deficiency. Don't ask me WHY the idiot doctors don't talk about that. It is FACT that most americans have magnesium deficiencies, and that the body NEEDS calcium, and that the body will literally EAT ITSELF(Catabolism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catabolism ) to get what it needs. Bones are the only real source for magnesium, so they are sacrificed.

Anyway, I took magnesium to improve my arthritis. THAT helped. Magnesium ALSO tends to aleviate pain, so it works in both ways.

Anyway, gluten problems have ALSO been tracked to magnesium deficiencies.

duncansbass
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Location: Flatting thirds, fifths, and sevenths for over 20 years

23 Jan 2008, 11:05 pm

I have had pain all my life, long as I can remember, in my knees and ankles, all up and down my back and neck, and my shoulders. No one has ever been able to tell me what it is, but then I like doctors about as much as my ex-wife.

I don't like my ex-wife

Rjaye
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 11:18 pm

I was diagnosed with severe Rheumatoid Arthritis this last October. THe entire arthritis panel came back positive. I thought the not being able to walk was pretty conclusive myself.

I was dx with PCOS, and had a uterine ablation to deal with fibroids, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, which caused severe hypothyoidism (ended up in the hospital with it), but no G. I. tract issues or allergies to any foods.I have hayfever, but that's is by far the least of my problems. It's a non-issue.

I was on the gluten free/casein free diet for a while, and it did nothing for inflammation or Aspergers. I bake a mean bread though.

As for arthritis being caused by vitamin deficiencies is putting the cart before the horse. The diseases cause the deficiencies. I had idiopathic anemia that put me in the hospital and having to have transfusions, but it's related to the length of time I had hypothyroidism and the severity of my case. It's the same with my bones leaching calcium--it's related to chronic illness.

Plus, psoriatic and rheumatoid arthritis run on both sides of my family. I developed it about the same time as my forebears and generational peers. If one develops an arthritis in relation to something, such as an injury or a drug, it's called reactive arthritis.

I have that, too. What I don't have is osteo, which surprised my doc. I do not show any more wear and tear than someone who doesn't have arthritis, which I went, "duh." Because I don't. Have. OA.

The reactive and RA is quite enough. The meds are too fricken expensive though but whatch going to do when nothing else works?