Am I out of line? Something happened on facebook

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

dustintorch
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 11:23 pm

My friend is at bible camp and has been posting lots of quotes from the bible on his facebook page. I told him that not everyone believes in his god and he should think before posting direct quotes from the bible. He has 900 friends, I'm sure someone would be offended. He returned this comment by saying I'm the only person who would have a problem with it because I need to get a reaction out of people to feel significance. This is coming from someone who makes a different racist comment every day. Needless to say all of his religious friends backed him up and now I look like the bad guy. Even worse I work with a lot of the people who backed him up and I just started this job so I'm worried now. I don't want to make myself an outcast this soon, I've only been working there 2 weeks.

I sent him a private message because I didn't want to continue it in front of everyone. I basically told him he was a hypocrite and that I didn't want him in my life anymore. BTW I forgot to mention he deleted his first post and wrote a nicer version of it since everyone could see it. I got the full message in a e-mail though so only I saw how horribly mean he was.

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 11:32 pm

Mm yeah you were out of line. Sorry. His alleged racism doesn't excuse your requests for religious censorship. People can post nearly anything they want; if you don't like it, all you should do is delete them or ignore it.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 11:56 pm

He's certainly free to post based on his religious beliefs. You're free to criticize. He's absolutely free to ignore you, is the beauty of it.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 12:01 am

I don't understand how a religious view could offend someone. People disagree with each other. It'd be different if your friend were pushing beliefs, but from your post it doesn't sound like that is the case.

If it isn't directed towards you, it's best not to comment unless you're looking for an argument. Religion is a rather sensitive topic. It doesn't mean religion should only be practicing at home in the dark just because someone might be "offended" (unless your religious practices are illegal, heheh).

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 12:27 am

dustintorch wrote:
I told him that not everyone believes in his god and he should think before posting direct quotes from the bible.

You may not have realized it but your comment comes across as quite hostile and he probably took it as a personal attack.

dustintorch wrote:
He has 900 friends, I'm sure someone would be offended.

Then that is for them to take up with him if they so desired. But it's his Facebook page and he is entitled to post what he wants.

dustintorch wrote:
He returned this comment by saying I'm the only person who would have a problem with it because I need to get a reaction out of people to feel significance.

He responded defensively because he likely perceived your comment as hostile. It seems he was probably taken aback because he was not expecting such a comment out of nowhere, and his intentions of posting the bible quotes were likely good.

dustintorch wrote:
This is coming from someone who makes a different racist comment every day.

Maybe he will address this issue at bible camp.

dustintorch wrote:
Needless to say all of his religious friends backed him up and now I look like the bad guy. Even worse I work with a lot of the people who backed him up and I just started this job so I'm worried now. I don't want to make myself an outcast this soon, I've only been working there 2 weeks.

Now we will get to see how Christian they really are.

dustintorch wrote:
I sent him a private message because I didn't want to continue it in front of everyone. I basically told him he was a hypocrite and that I didn't want him in my life anymore.

I think you should have told him in hindsight you realize your initial comment came across in a hostile manner and you misspoke, did not intend it to come across that way, and were sorry.

melbi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 12:33 am

for me, when it comes to religion and politics, i just keep quiet.

my advice is, just keep quiet next time, dont get yourself into troubles.

seriously, what you told him is not going to change his view. and if he happened to offend anyone, then it's his business. you don't have to "help" him. If he offened your religion and you feel an urge to defend for your religion... dont defended on his Facebook, do it on your own. Once you do it on his "territory"...I mean...it's HIS territory.... the results not gonna be good...

personally, i prefer to keep quiet when it comes to this kind of stuff. Silence is gold.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 1:11 am

You should have just ignored his religious postings. I've made the same mistake on another topic.

Ixtli
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jul 2010, 1:23 am

I've never seen any direct arguments (just a few heavily veiled ones) on Facebook. People tend to be pretty bland around there, I guess because of the size of their friend networks. But it sounds like your comment would have come across as rather hostile, not to mention a bit surprising. Basically, you were rebuked because you provoked conflict in a public place. My advice: tread carefully on Facebook, keep your opinions to your own profile, and even then, water them down somewhat. It's just not very private.

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 8:31 am

I have to say I don't blame him for being mean, how are you going to tell him what to write on his wall. one day somebody who i don't know but a Facebook friend comment on why I keep putting up autism, M.R cancer, NF ect videos, so i set him straight. if you don't like people post, don't read them if you don't like Facebook picture don't look at them simple . :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: ahh ahh ahh

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 8:47 am

He posts racist comments, but your concerned about him offending people with Bible quotes?

Bible quotes on Facebook aren't too unusual. Not something everyone does, but I see them at times from believers. If someone has a problem with his Bible quotes, then should hide him or unfriend him. It's their issue.

Wuffles
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jul 2010, 9:15 am

yes, you were out of line. if he wants to quote the bible, if he wants to be religious, that's his perogative. i'm an atheist, i think it's all nonsense but if believing in nonsense makes others happy then i say 'go for it', you'll get no argument from me.

i agree with the above poster that racism (or homophobia, etc) would worry me more.

he's your friend, he's happy with his god, leave his religion alone. the racism now, i'd drop him fast for that.

AMDeering
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jul 2010, 9:37 am

I agree with everyone else. You were way out of line. He's allowed to post whatever he likes on his own FB page. If you don't like it, then you can choose to not read it and/or agree with it.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?"

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 10:07 am

Im with the others: his page, his rules. Nobody is forcing you to accept God, if you dont want to know Him, I pray for you, but leave his page alone. Take this anaolgy: Would you walk into a church, take the podium and starts calling the congregants wrong? His status is his "podium" and those in agreement with him are his congregants.

If his being Christian bothers you that much, why are you his friend?

Etular
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jul 2010, 11:14 am

My views are similar, yet different to everyone else's. "Facebook? Well, if you're on that hell hole for the social elites, you should have expected as much".

On the one hand, you're in the wrong for having criticised his religious beliefs - you don't need to view them. Racism is another thing, as it's illegal to be racist - and you can happily call him out on that.

On the otherhand, you are 100% right, people can take offence - and, as long as you were only suggesting that people could take offence and not blatantly suggesting he removes them, then they're in the wrong for blaming you so harshly. As long as you stated a fact and not an opinion (e.g. "People can take offence to that" rather than "I think you should take it down". "It offends me" is perfectly fine also.), then you have done nothing wrong - instead, he would be in the wrong for reacting so hostile. His friends are probably just supporting him because it's a mainstream religion - as if it were Paganism or Satanism (the non-devil-worshipping kind) there would probably be a heck of alot of anger off that as well.

As for work, if anyone approaches you about it then you can merely say to them "Are you denying me the opportunity to express my own thoughts and opinions in a fully legal manner?". If your job is ever at risk, I suggest contacting the Worker's Union and/or filing a lawsuit - as it is against the law to fire employees based on their opinions unrelated to the company.

dustintorch
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 11:17 am

ok that makes sense

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 11:45 am

Etular wrote:
. Racism is another thing, as it's illegal to be racist - and you can happily call him out on that.

Uhhh. i dont think its illegal to be racist, everyone is entitled to their own thoughts, it is illegal and wrong to discriminate based on race but i think in the privacy of your own head, you can be whatever you want, you also have he right to state your beliefs, might be dangerous though.

Im not racist, i have a thing for pointing out statements that have "thought police" written all over them.