Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Brandon30
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jul 2016, 3:20 am

I've been reading up on autism and I came across articles saying autistic individuals have under developed reflexes. I was under the impression before that was unique to aspies, however the articles I'm reading seem to imply autistic individuals in generally have underdeveloped reflexes. I'm having trouble finding reading material on the subject and from my experience most info on the interest regarding autism seems to be inaccurate. So I was hoping people on this site could people help me. I have "PDD-NOS" but I seem to have abnormally fast reflexes, so my questions is am I an anomaly or was my original understanding correct?

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jul 2016, 4:38 am

Brandon30 wrote:
I've been reading up on autism and I came across articles saying autistic individuals have under developed reflexes. I was under the impression before that was unique to aspies, however the articles I'm reading seem to imply autistic individuals in generally have underdeveloped reflexes. I'm having trouble finding reading material on the subject and from my experience most info on the interest regarding autism seems to be inaccurate. So I was hoping people on this site could people help me. I have "PDD-NOS" but I seem to have abnormally fast reflexes, so my questions is am I an anomaly or was my original understanding correct?

Problem is bunching Austim Sprectrum Disorder into one big thing. On my side of the spectrum I am more high function autism which relates more towards aspergers. And my reflexes are horrible being forwarded to play "ball" as a child upset my father to no end because I couldn't play catch, ever. Also I am brown to spilling things or dropping things.

However are you officially diagnosised or did you diagnosis yourself with an online quiz?

If you diagnosised yourself with an online quiz perhaps you should see a professional you might not even be on the spectrum.

If you are diagnosised you might want to see a professional and ask this question because it's better for a professional to help you understand where your at on the spectrum so you can understand your strengths and weaknesses and use them to your advantage

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2016, 9:28 am

It just means you happen to excel in that area. In addition to having difficulties in a lot of things, people with autism also can be above average at something. Sometimes that is called a savant ability.

asdspeechie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jul 2016, 3:51 pm

Technically all of the sub-categories are now "Autism Spectrum Disorder" in the DSM-V. Motor reflexes and deficits aren't really factored into a diagnosis and from what I've seen so far aren't really a "formal" co-morbid disorder or part of the diagnosis though I have seen a lot of motor difficulties in various autistic individuals I've known/worked with. So yeah, it isn't necessarily linked to your label and remember that the labels aren't really a 'thing' anymore in the scientific community. It's all one loosely defined spectrum of various deficits.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2016, 6:27 pm

I'm a klutz at some things.

On the other hand I can

Juggle
Hold audiences with comedy and close up sleight of hand magic.
Play string instruments.

All the above I was horrible at first. Desire is a component.
I still am a klutz at basketball while excelling at ping pong.

Stephen__
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jul 2016, 6:40 pm

My understanding of PDD-NOS is that it's a bit of a fringe diagnosis where you have some features but not enough for a definitive diagnosis. If that is the case it wouldn't be unusual for you to have reflexes atypical of aspergers.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2016, 7:40 pm

Stephen__ wrote:
My understanding of PDD-NOS is that it's a bit of a fringe diagnosis where you have some features but not enough for a definitive diagnosis. If that is the case it wouldn't be unusual for you to have reflexes atypical of aspergers.

Good point. Have heard PDD-NOS being called atypical autism. Not that it's not as real as any other, just not completely typical.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2016, 10:51 pm

I've always been really clumsy. I wasn't able to ride a bike until I was 11, I was slow with sports and I tend to drop and spill things a lot too.

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jul 2016, 1:03 am

slw1990 wrote:
I've always been really clumsy. I wasn't able to ride a bike until I was 11, I was slow with sports and I tend to drop and spill things a lot too.

I was able to ride my bike early enough it was the spilling stuff that got me in trouble and slapped a lot.

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 1:29 pm

im not sure, but that could possibly explain why im bad at things like video games no matter how hard i try i just never get any better, its mainly because my reaction times are way off so i don't seem to be able to do things like combo's (you know like ssb4 and street fighter and stuff) i just can't seem to do the inputs fast enough, and in ssb4 i can't seem to chain moves because im either too late or too early by the time i try to do them. basically that with most things, in actual really life i am VERY bad at sports, i couldn't catch anything at all, even outside that i can't catch things like keys that are thrown to me. i don't know its either this or i have some sort of nerve problem because i seem to struggle with anything that requires finer motor skills.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 174 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Officially diagnosed 30th june 2017

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 5:24 pm

HisShadowX wrote:
slw1990 wrote:

I was able to ride my bike early enough it was the spilling stuff that got me in trouble and slapped a lot.

I remember one this one time when I was little I accidentally spilled a drink on someone and other people got mad because they thought that I did it on purpose. :oops:

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 6:52 pm

I once spilled chocolate milk all over my great grandmother (when she was alive obviously), i offered it to her when she visited, attempted to open it and BOOM all over, oops.....she was so gracious about it, but we had to wash her jumper, haha poor her, she was 90 and having a 9 year old spill milk on her.....what people have to put up with is amazing

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 174 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Officially diagnosed 30th june 2017