Yes, I'm unique 48%  48%  [ 25 ]
No, I'm different 15%  15%  [ 8 ]
Sometimes/ it's ok/ doesn't matter 37%  37%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 52

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 7:35 am

I find my Aspergers a cool thing now. It makes me my own unque person.
But I used to be made fun of all the time because I had no friends back in 5th grade. I hated everyone because they made fun of me. I didn't know how to make friends, and I was slower maturelly. I got failing grades, and got made fun of for that :( . I was just made fun of for everything. I was the most immature in school. Then I got medication.
I'm glad I got medication, because I'm now doing good and getting A's and B's and I have good friends. :) . Does this sound like anyone else?

If you took medication, how did it change you?

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 8:22 am

As a child I had some trouble with it(wasn´t diagnosed back then but it´s most likely to be related to as).

As you mention I found it difficult to make friends, my writing sucked(I was threatened with being force to repeat a course since I was in 2nd grade, and even though it has improved its still bad).

From time to time I was laughed at for being different however I laughed at them for acting all the same way. I had to be taken out of class a couple of times every year due to the fact that some bully had decided to pick on me and instead of telling on the bully I answered him back(this procces often lasted for weeks until the teacher eventually found out).

I didn´t hate everyone in my class but I certainly hated most of my classmates.

I didn´t take medication but in my first year of highschool I met a wonderfull girl that decided to help me with my problems, it hasn´t been easy but putting enough effort I have learnt how to overcome problems like how to make friends etc and everything is easier when you have a helping hand.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 9:24 am

I am unique, youthful, and rebellious, just like the 1960s. :cool:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 11:36 am

I was teased and made fun of for being different and I was also teased for my height and how I talked and my teeth and ears.

Even when I got put on medication, I still had difficulty fitting in. But thanks to the bullying and not being liked by lot of kids, it got me to change and pretend.

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 12:24 pm

I got treated like dirt for being different, though I had the opposite problem from most other aspies I've heard from; I was more mature than those in my class, rather than less.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 12:41 pm

Guitar_Girl wrote:
I find my Aspergers a cool thing now.

I was the most immature in school. Then I got medication.
I'm glad I got medication, because I'm now doing good and getting A's and B's and I have good friends.

Medication always changes you. But there is no medication effective for AS. You must have something else.

Or you're taking a placebo. :?

asprin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Aug 2010, 4:13 pm

like it or not aspergers will not go away if you have it, so just accept it

Hodor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 7:41 pm

I've been teased and made fun of throughout my life, really. Since I started uni, most of the teasing has been light hearted, and I've got better at sticking up for myself and thinking of witty comebacks, but people can still tell there's something different about me. They just find it hard to tell exactly what it is that's different about me.

I'm not on any medication

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 8:02 pm

I was teased in my younger years , ignored in college, but at the same time made good friends with a classmate who was an immigrant from El Salvador. He was the one who introduced me to my bf who I am with now.:)
It seems I am more accepted by the immigrant community than I am with my peers, but that is a good thing because we empthatize with each other and I am learning Spanish. :)

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 6:38 am

Willard wrote:
Guitar_Girl wrote:
I find my Aspergers a cool thing now.

I was the most immature in school. Then I got medication.
I'm glad I got medication, because I'm now doing good and getting A's and B's and I have good friends.

Medication always changes you. But there is no medication effective for AS. You must have something else.

Or you're taking a placebo. :?

The medication was for my ADD. Forgot to menchion that. :oops:

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 7:09 am

I have been told most of my life by various people that I am odd or weird and that I have my own unique philosophy.

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 6:57 am

Robdemanc wrote:
I have been told most of my life by various people that I am odd or weird and that I have my own unique philosophy.

I get the same thing.

Kelpie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 12:39 pm

If I wasn't being made fun of for my weird clothing, personality, and interests, it was because I was so open about saying everything that comes to mind, including seeing out of one eye and having a prosthesis. xD I would say this throughout every school I went to and every school year. I just couldn't get it that I was being hurt and needed to stop saying these things. Just doesn't click in my mind to become friends with people who won't accept me for who I am, I guess. :P

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 1:22 pm

Guitar_Girl wrote:
I find my Aspergers a cool thing now. It makes me my own unque person.
But I used to be made fun of all the time because I had no friends back in 5th grade. I hated everyone because they made fun of me. I didn't know how to make friends, and I was slower maturelly. I got failing grades, and got made fun of for that :( . I was just made fun of for everything. I was the most immature in school. Then I got medication.
I'm glad I got medication, because I'm now doing good and getting A's and B's and I have good friends. :) . Does this sound like anyone else?

Being made fun of and no friends sounds like me at school.

There were no MEDS in the 70s so school was a horror story decorated in excrement for me.

I ALWAYS got As for Math, Science and languages, Bs for everything else EXCEPT f***ing English cos I struggled with traditional 'comprehension' (SURPRISE) BUT this won me no friends.

Glad you have good friends at school....................

I hated school and I still hate it when I look back, it was a f***ing nightmare................ :arrow:

Stonecold
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 9:15 pm

I hate having Asperger's syndrome. I was teased often in school. I'd do anything to be normal.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 9:34 pm

No....I hate every nanosecond of it. Yes....I was bullied and teased mercilessly.

Then again....I believe I have alot cognitive/memory problems most people with AS don't have.