I don't think I've got Asperger's anymore...?

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 9:57 pm

I've experienced less depression lately, and I find the social impairments portion of the diagnostic criteria do not fit me well enough anymore...I mean, I could have it...But I also think I may not, now....
What do you think?

Also, I'm still welcome here, right? I like you guys. :(

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 10:00 pm

Yes I feel you are welcome. AS though IMO from reading and my experience isn't something you grow out of or just don't have anymore perhaps the social trait issue isn't hindering you as bad but you still have special interest or some other traits of AS. It's great you are less depressed and your social issues are working out hopefully it keeps that way. I feel you will always have traits just sometimes in life to a lesser degree now then say as a child or whichever. Does that make since? Hope I didn't upset anyone. :-)

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 10:03 pm

Of course you are always welcome :P

You are experiencing less symptoms because of the mojo you get here. 8)

If you leave, it will all be refunded and then you will send hundreds of aspies spiraling into a very deep depression grieving over the loss of your presence..................................................................................... :roll:

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 10:06 pm

That makes sense, Zelda...I suppose it is possible to overcome some issues, and then it's no longer outwardly as detectable, but no one can still see your mental processes.

DaWalker, thank you for the kind words? :P The happy forum life helps! :D
Also, ironically, stopping talking to that guy who was depressing me.... Stupid broken ended friendships suck. :evil:

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 10:06 pm

You are too cool to be an aspie, of course!

I only kid, but it doesn't matter what you are. You are our main meat producer. We thank you for that.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 10:11 pm

No way! 1. Aspies are cool. and 2. I'm super weird in real life. :P

MEAT! yay! *throws meat at*

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 10:11 pm

You're still welcome here. I enjoy reading your posts, and I feel that you're a great fixture to the WP community. :D

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 10:13 pm

Thanks. :) It makes me feel better. I was browsing an asexual forum a few days ago, and they aren't nearly as nice as the people here.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 10:22 pm

No matter if your an aspie or not, I still think you got a very good personality, the thing is, everybody is a indiviual and we are all different and we all do weird things.

**Got hit by meat**

If you have experienced less depression lately, then you must of done something good to prevent it from happening?

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 10:28 pm

Ok, so everyone's a freak. :P

I have good aim. 8)

Yep, That guy and me actually legitimately do not associate with each other at all anymore. It specifically makes me sad, but as a whole, I'm better off for now. :) :(

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 11:27 pm

I go for my evaluation next week and I have been having similar thoughts.

No so much that I don't have AS, but rather what ELSE might I have (as well as or instead of AS) which is even more serious :!:

Not long to wait now :wink: :arrow:

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 11:44 pm

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 12:52 am

Of course you're always welcome here.

I agree with zeldapsychology. Also, who's to say you can't "adapt" better to social interactions? That's happening with me too and I'm still sure I'm an Aspie.

Glad your depression is lifting. :D

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 1:05 am

Yeah well, I pass fairly well....it's easy if it's just superficial social interactions, but I got ahold of the Adult Asperger's Assessment and apparently I still have it.

To have scored otherwise I should have cried profusely during Avatar, NOT told my aunt she did indeed look fat in those jeans, even though she asked for an honest answer, and I should have chosen the theater of the museum.

Which really makes no sense to me because seeing a movie is a quite introverted affair if you think about it. You sit in a room with 150-300 people and ignore them for 1.5-2.5 hours, while at the museum there is far more opportunity and it is far more socially acceptable to converse with others.

Gigi830
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jul 2010, 1:53 am

One either has it or doesn't. You do not "get over" AS. You develop as a human being, you learn. Aspies are great self-teachers. I was much different as a child, until about 14. Tony Atwood's book could be literally about me. But I'm intelligent and I observe and I tried to fit in. I never did (still don't) but I got less awkward because I learned coping mechanisms. Now I tend to only get really off when stressed or exhausted.

Like you said, I can appear OUTWARDLY NT in some ways (especially for short bursts) but inside I am still micro-managing my eye contact and thinking to myself "Wait. What do they mean? Was that a joke? Sarcasm? Are they serious? AH!" :P

I guess it is possible you were misDx. It's either that or you have developed coping mechs. There is no "cure" or "growing out of it". I guess some think otherwise, but I don't agree.

And I see no reason you shouldn't be welcome. I too enjoy your posts. :) Even though I am not on all the time myself.

capriwim
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jul 2010, 2:50 am

I don't think it's possible not to be an Aspie any more. But it's possible to learn strategies so that you are more socially adept. I've learnt strategies over the years, so I could say I'm not as Aspie as I used to be, but it's not that I'm any different inside - I've just developed my own strategies.

I guess I'd describe it more as you're not disabled by your Aspergers any more, rather than that you don't have it. Kind of like if someone had only one leg and couldn't walk, and then was given a prosthetic leg so they could walk. It's not that they don't still only have one leg, but rather that the fact of only having one leg no longer means they can't walk.

You might find in a future new social situation you feel more Aspie again. I find I can become socially adept (albeit eccentric!) in certain groups of people after I've become familiar with them, but then if I am placed in a completely new situation, I can sometimes feel like I've 'regressed'. But it's just because of difficulty generalising what I've learnt to a situation where the dynamics are different.

As for depression, I don't think that's an inevitable part of Aspergers. I'm not depressed.

I don't see why you shouldn't be welcome here, even if you really didn't have Aspergers. My understanding is that not everyone here is on the autistic spectrum, but everyone has an interest in it, because all the topics are about the autistic spectrum.