Aspergers VS. Highly Sensetive Person???

Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

vampresstcullen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Aug 2010, 12:52 pm

(Elaine Aron, she wrote a book on it and is an HSP herself, and also explained the differences between AS and HSP)
Your trait is normal. It is found in 15 to 20% of the population--too many to be a disorder, but not enough to be well understood by the majority of those around you.
•It is innate. In fact, biologists have found it to be in most or all animals, from fruit flies and fish to dogs, cats, horses, and primates. This trait reflects a certain type of survival strategy, being observant before acting. The brains of highly sensitive persons (HSPs) actually work a little differently than others'.
•You are more aware than others of subtleties. This is mainly because your brain processes information and reflects on it more deeply. So even if you wear glasses, for example, you see more than others by noticing more.
•You are also more easily overwhelmed. If you notice everything, you are naturally going to be overstimulated when things are too intense, complex, chaotic, or novel for a long time.
•This trait is not a new discovery, but it has been misunderstood. Because HSPs prefer to look before entering new situations, they are often called "shy." But shyness is learned, not innate. In fact, 30% of HSPs are extraverts, although the trait is often mislabeled as introversion. It has also been called inhibitedness, fearfulness, or neuroticism. Some HSPs behave in these ways, but it is not innate to do so and not the basic trait.
•Sensitivity is valued differently in different cultures. In cultures where it is not valued, HSPs tend to have low self-esteem. They are told "don't be so sensitive" so that they feel abnormal.
some HSP traits
-You are very intuitive and you feel that you can usually sense if someone isn't telling the truth or if something else is wrong.
-You get concerned and think or worry about many things, and have also been told "you take things too personally."
-You were considered quiet, introverted, timid, or shy as a child
-You may experience mood swings, sometimes occurring almost instantly and can also be affected by other people's moods, emotions and problems. (unfortunate high empathy..I say unfortunate because someitmes its overwhelming to care that much or be so much into others' problems)
-You, your partner, or someone important to you have a heightened awareness of subtleties in your environment, whether it's sight, sound, touch, taste, or smell.
-You can become stressed out and upset when overwhelmed and may find it necessary to get away, maybe into a darkened room, to seek solitude, relief and comfort.
-You are very creative.

Me, I am emotionally sensitive to myself and others, but I dont think I have enough to qualify as having a highly sensitive trait...not sure.
...whichh has caused me to be introverted as a child, to a pretty huge amount..still coping with some issues..
oh, and I guess theres somethings else, like not jumping into things at all, part of the...dammit whachamcallit type of whatever in an HSP (it can also go the other way in an HSP but still thinking before leaping)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 9:04 am

I'm a very sensitive person, but I don't think it's necessarily got much to do with having AS or not. All of my family are NTs, but most of them are sensitive people too.

It can all depend on your personality and nature.

Pjhgh
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jun 2012, 1:01 pm

There is the theory of Autism named The Intense World Syndrome. Relative to the Hyper Sensitivity. (sorry for my English).

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 8:15 pm

Pjhgh wrote:
There is the theory of Autism named The Intense World Syndrome. Relative to the Hyper Sensitivity. (sorry for my English).

Related:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/article419.html

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 9:10 pm

Quote:
theres emotional sensitivity, and features in HSP cause them to be more empathic and intuitive than the average human so some say in a way there are opposites in it.

Do I really need to have the 'different kinds of empathy' talk again?

Autistic people have trouble with cognitive empathy, which is a totally different kind of empathy than the kind HSPs are often high on, known as affective empathy. Autistics can be high or low on affective empathy like anyone else.

Incidentally, according to analysis based on data from this forum, I've found that 83-94% of autistics are highly sensitive. So even though Elaine Aron doesn't think so (because she has no clue what autism actually is) there clearly is a lot of overlap between the two conditions.

EvangelineW
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Nov 2012, 10:16 am

I think, like with most things, there is a continuum.

Here I'm only addressing one particular aspect of Asperger's - difficulty reading intentions and emotions in others.

My belief is that there are individuals at the other end of the continuum who have extraordinary abilities when it comes to reading others.

Why do individuals on opposite ends of the continuum exhibit other features in common?

Anxiety is easy to explain; some of the physical hypersensitivities, less so, but my guess is that there are many continuums and if you're outside the Bell Curve on one, you're likely to be on others.

Sorry if all these continuums make my response sound like a bad star trek episode.

lbanquer
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Feb 2013, 9:39 pm

Thank you for explaning the different types of empathy! I've been researching empathy and found most (if not all) of the explanations frustratingly inadequate.

I've been accused of not having "empathy". It was apparent to me that I was struggling with "cognitive empathy" and being overwhelmed with "affective empathy". This is the first I've seen anyone distinquish between the two, so thank you for the new vocabulary!

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 10:16 pm

l suspect l'm just a plain old highly sensitive NT.

it's not like it's a real condition so as far as l'm concerned it could even be linked with AS or other disorders in a way that isn't recognized.

Also linked with introversion. You throw ADHD on top of it (maybe my ADHD is just a result of it) and it can look similar to an Aspie.

Maybe someday a separate DSM recognized label will be created for highly sensitive NTs, for now l'm satisfied without one and l think it explains most of my AS traits.

HSP essentially boils down to SENSORY ISSUES(and a few other traits that have nothing to do with feely things) for the people who have been equating it with being "sensitive" in the more casual sense and rejecting its relation to autism.

edit: now seeing how old this thread is...feel no need to respond seriously lol.

HDTV...

Whatever.

ethereal1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Aug 2013, 11:25 am

I definitely have hsp traits along with being an Aspie. If you do your research Aspie's can also be super tasters and sensitive to smells. I have chemical sensitivities whereas I cannot use perfumes, scented candles and many household cleaning products or I get sick. It effects my sinuses and sometimes I get bronchitis from this exposure. This type of reaction is not considered "allergies" per se but sensitivities. I am sensitive to loud noises, large crouds, the whole gamut. So I definitely agree that their is a link between the two.

turtleoverhare
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Aug 2013, 12:05 pm

Like Mrxxx said I'm the same I'm very thick skinned im not that sensitive.

TheHaywire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 11:55 am

It states that HSP are conscientious and hyper-aware of their environment.

Seems like the opposite of AS.

"You are very intuitive and you feel that you can usually sense if someone isn't telling the truth or if something else is wrong."

I don't even think we are from the same world.

The only similarity we have to HSP is that we take things too personally, as far as I can tell.

Annaliina

03 Aug 2013, 12:46 pm

MrXxx wrote:
CaptainTrips222 wrote:
Okay, if you're gonna play stupid and pretend you it wasn't a dig, then why waste either of our time.

I am neither stupid, nor am I playing stupid.

If you want an apology, you've got it.

I can't pretend to know what I don't. I have no idea what I said that set you off. If I did, I would say so. You don't even know me. How could you possibly know what's going on in my head? Nothing I said was meant as a dig. I'm simply saying what I think. An opinion. I thought that's what you said you wanted. If I misinterpreted that, I'm sorry.

I'm not meaning to be a brat,

But this is the difference.

We see the world in a literal way,and when we speak it an come out as harsh to NT's. We don't mean to do it; we are simply stating information, but we lack the knowledge of the complexities of society, so we sometimes don't even realize that what we said doesn't fit into 'polite' conversation.

So that's one of the huge differences.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 1:00 pm

I'm extremely thin-skinned. I know this because:-

-I feel like crying if I am being spoken to quite badly by someone I don't know to well (it might be from feelings of humiliation)

-I am very self-conscious and if a person looks at me I think they are judging me negatively and if I hear people laughing I think they are laughing at me

-I let a lot of things get to me and I'm unsure of how to let things ride over me instead

-I struggle to follow the ''if they're like that then they weren't friends in the first place'' philosophy what I am always being told if I tell someone about a quirky friend

-I take a lot of things personally

-I tend to feel embarrassed, awkward and guilty a lot of times

-I get hypersensitive to judgement from other people

ethereal1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Aug 2013, 4:34 pm

I am 61 now but when I was young everything got to me. I did not understand people's intentions. I did not know how to communicate. I had a 98 average until I hit high school and then I became overwhelmed. I am a female and when I went thru the change I almost lost it completely. 4 duis due to relocating and being overwhelmed due to my daughter' health. Two in NY and 2 in GA. Luckily I met another aspie and he saved me from a fate worst than death. It cost us 10k and I had to go to inhouse depression counseling for two weeks, 6 weeks in a jail luckilylike Mayberry and the house arrest and then the car breathalizer. I was alway wild when I was young though. If I got overwhelmed (I hung around with people who partied alot) did not think I was good enough or wanted to be with the goodie two shoes type. My life was unbelievable. My first ticket was going 120 in a 40. If I wasn't overstimulated I was like a librarian, it was weird.If I got overstimulated, I went nuts but next day okay so not really bipolar. It was like I was two people. First diagnosed was depression, then bipolar (that was medication induced or being overwhelmed after cloistering myself for long periods of time and hooking up with low lifes). What a life. But I survived. I am a loner though. I am 61 and look 45 due to lack of facial animation. When I work outside the home, I have a hard time. I can always get a job thru research but get fired because I can't keep my mouth shut. I do not have ADD or ADHD. I live for science and finally got the right diagnoses 5 years ago. I am still trying to deal with that. Loving myself and not letting that get in the way of finding friends. I get overwhelmed with people though and all their problems unless they are low keyed. My 42 year old daughter is an Aspie but has been with the same man for 15 years. I have been married 5 times. This last one for 10 years and he is stable and low keyed. I would not have made it without him. I lived alone for a few years before meeting him and it was not good. I got lost inside myself. Too alone.