Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Channah
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Aug 2013, 3:29 pm

I'm new to this, so forgive me if this isn't the place to ask this sort of question. I have a five year old that exhibits several attributes typical of Asperger's. As a mother, I read lots of books on the subject. However, most of what I read notes the introverted person with Asperger's. This leaves me very confused because my daughter is SUPER confident and is overly friendly. Her charisma is almost intimidating to children that don't know her. They shy away from her friendly nature. In a nutshell she possesses little reservations, but like I said, much of what I read says the opposite about Asperger's. Does anyone have any insights?

My daughter hasn't been diagnoses yet. Well, she was diagnosed and then not diagnosed. It depended on the neurologists' observations. However, I was told that due to her age, nothing is conclusive yet. I thought this would be a good place to ask those with Asperger's and those familiar with Asperger's this question. Thanks.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 3:37 pm

Introversion is not a prerequisite of an ASD. When I was that age I'd yak the ear off of complete strangers. :)

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 3:37 pm

Hiya. I can't help you but if you go to the parents discussion part of the site you might get answers there.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 3:42 pm

I was always pretty social too. Remember the Autism Spectrum is just that, a Spectrum. And it is huge so many Auties and Aspies will have character traits that are not stereotypical.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 3:43 pm

There are many aspergers with very little reservations regarding others, and people are different. If she dosen´t understand how to do the initial "exercises", she can scare the s... out of other children.
And she may also be a strong girl, who will always go her own ways and be one of those warm and open persons, who always finds room for others.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 4:36 pm

There are some Aspergians who are very gregarious, however, they typically still lack social skills and often have trouble understanding personal boundaries. They may talk too much, going on and on about things in which others have no interest, never realizing they're boring someone to death; they may become bossy and pretentious; they may stand too close when talking to someone, not noticing that their proximity is making the other person uncomfortable, things like that.

When I was very young (pre-2nd grade), I was painfully aware that I did not know how to properly interact with other kids or make friends naturally, so I tended to act up on occasion, behaving wildy, making cartoonish voices and pulling silly stunts and faces for attention. By 2nd grade, I had begun to realize that while I was getting the group's attention, I still wasn't making any personal connections, I was just convincing the other kids I was weird. As a result I then felt humiliated by my own behavior and became quiet and withdrawn and have stayed so to this day. :oops:

I did find a vocational use for the cartoon voices, though, but that's another story. :wink:

Channah
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Aug 2013, 5:11 pm

Thanks everyone you were very helpful. You pretty much confirmed my thoughts. My daughter is very friendly, but as someone mentioned freaks the sh#t out of some kids because she immediately grabs their hand and gets way too close. I applaud her ability to be so sweet and kind, but I want to help her understand the importance of boundaries. Thanks a zillion. As I mentioned, you were all very helpful.