Can you tell if someone has autism/aspergers

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Lel
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Oct 2010, 5:56 am

I tend to agree with Maolcolm, I can see traits in people, but most people will have perceptible traits. If they have lots of traits, I might think ''wonder if you're Aspie?'' But, hey, even with a Dx I wonder if I'm really Aspie. How can it be that my oddness and differentness has a name?

But possibly I'm in denial. Turns out three of my four siblings, one brother-in-law and of course my mother are/were on the spectrum and it was what was normal to me.

musicboxforever
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2010, 8:03 am

Yes, even before I understood or really knew what autism or aspergers was. I remember working with a woman. Looking back she was definately autistic. I remember thinking, wow she's so like Alison (not her real name, but who I now know is autistic). There have been other people I've met and thought, wow, they're so like Alison. Now I realise they were probably autistic.

I have a friend who now I've got to know him better and now I know his wife, and through things she's told me plus I had to rescue this poor guy he cornered in a bar whilst he was talking about his special subject (music) I realise that he is an aspie. We relate alot to each other. I'm not sure how I would bring it up though. I also have another friend I've known for years who I really relate to. We have very similar problems and I'm sure she is an aspie too. And there is a guy I work with. And a guy I used to work with. The list goes on.

But even on tv. There is something in the words someone uses, or the way they behave which can make me think. yep there's an aspie right there.