Aspergers and the blank stare in childhood photos

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

passionatebach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Sep 2010, 1:28 pm

I recently looking at some childhood photos of a childhood friend, whom I have always thought to have AS. I noticed that in a number of his photos, he has a blank stare. I also noticed this with another friend whom I know to have AS in his childhood photos. Strangely, I don't notice it in my childhood photos.

Do most Aspies have a blank stare in their childhood photographs? Is this something that has nothing to do with AS? Why would these kids react to the camera in that way? Lastly, has anyone else ever noticed this?

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 1:49 pm

It's from just looking that way / not knowing what face to make or looking in the right direction during photo-taking, I'd imagine.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 1:52 pm

I know that mine do not have a blank stare. My photos from early childhood are quite expressive, actually. From about ten years old and up, I look more uncomfortable, but still not blank.

alexptrans
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 2:27 pm

I have it on some of my photos, not on all of them. I don't think having AS necessarily means you always have to look like an expressionless robot.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 2:59 pm

My eyes were very glassy and crazy looking as a kid.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 3:19 pm

My mom says you can tell I am autistic in my childhood pictures becuase I have a "fake smile" and this "look" in my eye.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 3:24 pm

I look on my photos like "evil child" (staring golden eyes) or I try to smile. I learned how to smile when I was about 8. Earlier I didn't know, but I tried.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 4:22 pm

I have a class picture from 2nd grade where you can see the glassy stare real well.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 5:12 pm

How's this for a spaced out glassy stare? I'm about 2 1/2.
:P Also apparently I wasn't aware you're not supposed to spread your legs and twiddle with your shoelaces when posing for a family photo.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 5:25 pm

I look that way all the time even now.
But yes, I also did when I was an infant/small child.

Kenani
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Sep 2010, 5:27 pm

PunkyKat wrote:
My mom says you can tell I am autistic in my childhood pictures becuase I have a "fake smile" and this "look" in my eye.

Doesn't everyone have a fake smile in posed pictures?
I thought everyone was just smiling because they had to! Was I supposed to be happy?! :P

I never show my teeth when I smile for pictures because I don't like how it looks, but that's not necessarily because of AS.

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 5:36 pm

Here I am at age 4:
This was taken in September of 1959.

Last edited by faithfilly on 28 Sep 2010, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 5:39 pm

Yeah, I have seen some of my old childhood photos with my brother. He has bright eyes and a toothy smile, while my eyes look glassy and far away with my mouth being more agaped than a smile. I vaguely remember being told to smile and never really knowing what that meant. I guess I was 6 or 7 then. I do have baby photos where I do have a face full of expression with a devilish grin, so maybe it is more of a uncertainty how to present myself when I am supposed to be acting happy for a picture.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 5:41 pm

faithfilly wrote:
Here I am at age 4:
This was taken in September of 1958.

I think that this is exactly what the OP was describing.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 5:42 pm

Nice childhood photos, guys.

In many of my photos I am not looking at the camera at all, just staring into space. Sometimes I am looking at it.

My class photo when I was 5, I wanted to sit behind the board with the numbers and letters on it, but they decided to let another kid sit behind it, so I have the angriest expression...

Taking a break.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

28 Sep 2010, 6:57 pm

most of my childhood photos, even now, I have a look of "being somewhere else" my eyes are distant unless I focus my attention.