Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 3:55 pm

What is a typical meltdown please and what happens during yours?

Describe.

doofy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 5:10 pm

I don't know about "typical" - I only came across the word "meltdown" recently when reading here.

"Meltdown" for me means exactly that - "meltdown" - sending me to a gibbering heap on the floor.

It's a response to high anxiety/emotional inputs that exceed my capacity to process them. Hence: "meltdown".

It's different from a panic attack in terms of degree. A panic attack is triggered by a huge adrenaline surge that I can't process. A meltdown can be a response to this inability to process.

Adrenaline is a useful survival tool for many - the fight or flight mechanism. As adrenaline induces panic, I can still function - I can face down the tiger, whatever. When meltdown hits I can no longer face down the tiger - i have lost basic functionality. The tiger can have his way.

I always remember being in a multiple occupancy tent in morocco at age 20 with hepatitis. Strong winds blew the tent down and everyone surged into action to rescue and repitch tent. Except me. I lay there and didn't care.
Meltdown takes me to a similar don't care, CAN'T CARE, place.

i tend to really get them in relationships where I don't feel "heard". I watch panic building up as i feel unheard and something snaps - I go apeshit. the ghastly thing about this is that it tends to be associated with "dissociation" - I watch from afar as the organism loses control.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 5:44 pm

I think it is time to retire the word meltdown, a person with AS or some other form of autism is not going to undergo a process similar that which occured at Fukushima or Three Mile Island !

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

doofy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 6:47 pm

Woodpecker wrote:
I think it is time to retire the word meltdown, a person with AS or some other form of autism is not going to undergo a process similar that which occured at Fukushima or Three Mile Island !

Excellent idea.

Staying in the nuclear vein, we could also retire "piles" as a medical condition.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 8:50 pm

doofy wrote:
Woodpecker wrote:

Excellent idea.

Staying in the nuclear vein, we could also retire "piles" as a medical condition.

There are a lot of people with piles who wish they would retire too.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 3:32 am

The only problem is if we retire piles, what will come to replace them ?

Also are all nuclear reactors piles, becuase a graphite moderated reactor is clearly a pile of blocks but a BWR / PWR is a lot of pipes, tanks and water.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.