Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Nordlys
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jun 2011, 1:45 pm

I have always been a perfectionist. I want certain standards in things i do.
Even in videogame, for example in the sims i have decided to build a city and i'm re-doing buildings that are in the game because terrain is not perfect.
In writing i plot everything before starting to write. In drawing i take a lot of time to make every drawing, i use references because i want a good result and i keep attention to subject, composition, background and colours.
This does means i take a lot of time to do things.

Some people not understand this and they say stuffs like 'just do it!' 'let your creativity flow!' 'You will learn from your mistakes!' 'Doing things well is boring!' and stuff like that.

Are you a perfectionist? What do you think about perfectinism?

- La diversità è l'elemento principe del mondo -

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 2:00 pm

I think that can primarily only be concluded in hindsight, and thus at the moment, I have come to realize it is bad. I've spent far to much time on my current project.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 2:14 pm

Perfectionism can be a form of OCD, where a person goes to extremes not to make any mistakes. We live in an extremely chaotic world, and this is an extreme way to establish order in it. We need order, but a balance, is required because neither we or the world around us is perfect. I was a perfectionist for many, many years; and could have lived a fuller life, if I was not so concerned about making any mistakes. Life is eventually humbling for all, if they live long enough; take it easy on your self now, and it will be easier to live with yourself later in life.

This is extremely hard to do for some though, and a chemical imbalance in the brain underlies the anxiety for some. Your might want to seek professional guidance to overcome it, if you can't do it on your own.

Even harder, is the fact that commercialization of every product makes perfection the goal in society. A harmful message for many. If you can, turn the TV off for a while, it's harder to change yourself, when most of the messages received are one of perfection.

matt
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 2:17 pm

Perfectionism seems to be good for three things:

1. When something not being perfect can result in not getting paid.
  2. When something not being perfect can put someone in danger.
  3. When practicing to improve your ability to do something.

In other situations it seems to be a bad thing.

joestenr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jun 2011, 2:18 pm

Its a gift and a curse
It drives you to push yoursrlf to do better. At the same time. I could use myself in an example, i have produced probably 2-300 hours worth of electronix music, hundreds of songs. Only 2 i actuall consider compleated and that is just because i lost all of the files i used making them

"For success in science or art, a dash of autism is essential"
Hans Asperger

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 2:29 pm

Good in moderation, bad in excess.

I have a terrible combination of perfect pitch and perfectionism, so I get quite frustratedif anything I play is anything less than perfectly in tune. I am however slowly trying to get out of that by ignoring any imperfect notes and just rolling with it.

I've become a semidecent transposer as a result.

The-Raven
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 3:05 pm

I think perfectionism sucks!

Its made me a terrible parent and lost me every decent relationship, friendship and family.

Its costs far out way any perceived benefits.

Unfortunately its very hard for me to irradicate and any steps forward are accompanied by many slips back.

I expect I will always be a lonely perfectionist living an isolated existance in my ivory tower, trying hard to be good enough and reach some nirvana of perfection.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 3:06 pm

Bad because if everything had to be perfect, nothing would ever get done by you. It take you hours to get it done because you still be working on it to have it be perfect. I would be at work for more than four hours if I was trying to be perfect so therefore I am not a perfectionist.

But when it comes to video games or drawings in your spare time, not bad. But it can be if you want to finish the game but can't because you have to collect every single coin in the level but you keep dying.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 3:06 pm

I agree about the resemblance to OCD, but I would add that people can successfully fight moderate OCD or perfectionism with some effort. I also agree that perfectionism, or any tendency, produces good or bad results based on where and how you apply it. The same goes for "letting things slide."

I find my perfectionist tendencies do the most harm when I use them as a reason to not do things, or as an excuse to give up, by telling myself that I'll never get it right.

Nordlys
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jun 2011, 3:14 pm

No, i do things. I also finish them. But i pay a lot of attention how they will come.

- La diversità è l'elemento principe del mondo -

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 3:26 pm

I think for me, the stress of setting high standards for myself kept me in focus, where letting it all go would put me in a state of weak central coherence. It's really hard to find the right balance though. Just the right amount of stress to stay motivated, or becoming overwhelmed by stress, as a result of trying to stay focused with high standards.

Sooner or later we run out of energy in a pursuit for perfection.

Last edited by aghogday on 04 Jun 2011, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 3:40 pm

Being a perfectionist makes things even more frustrating for me so I would say its bad

Having high standards however is good. Just don't get too upset over things.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 3:51 pm

I was never a perfectionist at first. Then I realized people actually do expect perfection from me. Now I am a perfectionist, and people tell me not to be. I guess I just go from one extreme to the other.

starryeyedvoyager
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 3:52 pm

Perfectionism is a good servant, but a bad master. While it can give us Aspies an edge, it can become a liability in the next moment. When I am really on to something, I only back down when I feel it is truly completed. On the other hand, if something isn't right, I can't let it go and get obsessed about it. I have been asked many times when doing stuff if I were ever to stop, and people were amazed at my stamina when doing stuff I enjoyed and wanted to do. At the same time, people told me often to let something go, to back down, which caused me to get angry, yell at them to get off my case because I wanted to get things done.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 7:26 pm

It sucks sometimes....but it is a part of me, so I accept it.

Hopefully one day I'll be able to control it.