Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

justjelliot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jun 2011, 1:53 pm

First of all, does anyone consider it slang or offensive if a NT uses the term 'Aspie?' There are some slurs that are ok within members of that community, and I was wondering what the status was with people with Asperger's.

So I talked to a friend about my diagnosis. She said they likely had medication for Asperger's, and I could have hope for being 'normal' in the future. Maybe even 'cured.'

Before my diagnosis, ALL I wanted was to be normal. I knew something was wrong with me, but I didn't know what.

Now that I know it's a simple wiring in my brain, I feel different.

I was pissed at my friend, thinking who was she to think I needed to be 'normal?' Why should I have to be like everybody else, all the same old NT's? Do I even need to be 'cured?' I feel fine. I have never been better since my diagnosis.

I didn't say any of this, all I said was that a neurological condition likely can't be cured, and that now that I understand why I'm different, I'm perfectly happy.

Can anybody relate to this?

http://aspiespy.blogspot.com/

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 2:10 pm

Quote:
First of all, does anyone consider it slang or offensive if a NT uses the term 'Aspie?' There are some slurs that are ok within members of that community, and I was wondering what the status was with people with Asperger's.
Only a very small minority, and they don't consider it offensive because it's "slang" but because it's not formal enough or sounds like a diminutive term. Most of us use "Aspie" because it's shorter to say than Asperger Syndrome. So, no, it's not an offensive term.

Your friend is wrong; there's no medication for Asperger's. You know that now, though.

No, you don't need to be "cured". No person with AS does, nor any kind of autism, because autism is not a disease; it's a developmental difference, an atypical brain that leads to disability.

That isn't to say we can't benefit from treatment, though; we can. Learning how to live in a world that's made for NTs rather than autistics is very important, and so is learning how to interact with NTs and how to pursue one's goals. It is just as important for an autistic person to learn these skills as it would be for someone with cerebral palsy to learn to use a wheelchair or a cane or a communication device or whatever lets them adjust to the NT world. After all, we're in the minority, and there are many other minorities to worry about too; disability rights is working to make sure the world can accommodate us, but we've got to learn the skills that'll let us put those accommodations to work for us.

Top three for autistic people:
--Communication.
--Organization and executive function (including self-care).
--Managing sensory overload.

If you can do those three, you can probably access any other skill that's within your cognitive ability to learn.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 2:12 pm

I think you're right to be pissed off at her. Ask her if she'd say this to someone who is transgend. (or use whatever analogy you think will strike a chord with her)

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 2:20 pm

Yes I can relate-I have NT people being mean and harsh and think they can lie to me without any problem and think there is nothing wrong in doing so beacause I am different-why do I want to be "normal" and have those abilities-lying and being mean-catty-cliqish-able to have no second thoughts about treating other people badly-gossipy-playing mind games-office politics-all these things are unknown in myself until others play these games with me and I find it very hard to understand why.It takes all kinds of people to make up a world. No one I know even my boss or my companies HR department seems to care-they want the perfect trouble free employee-I keep thinking my boss regrets hiring me and resents that I got through the interview process and he hired me-how dare I get a decent job and keep another NT person out of this job-you know someone they can play mind games with that knows how to play instead of someone who takes what he is doing very seriously and can focus on problems.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 2:54 pm

I think that autistic people are superior so therefore everybody else has a problem.

justjelliot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jun 2011, 2:56 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
I think you're right to be pissed off at her. Ask her if she'd say this to someone who is transgend. (or use whatever analogy you think will strike a chord with her)

Funny thing is, she is actually bipolar, and doesn't know that I know. I bit my tongue.

I knew there was no meds for Aspies, but there are for issues that Aspies often have, like anxiety and OCD.

http://aspiespy.blogspot.com/

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 3:07 pm

aspie48 wrote:
I think that autistic people are superior so therefore everybody else has a problem.
Seriously?

*throws biology text*

8)

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 5:48 pm

Callista wrote:
aspie48 wrote:
Seriously?

*throws biology text*

8)

I just knew this was going to happen when I read your post earlier this morning. :lol:

Crap, now I forgot what I was going to say to begin with.

Oh yeah, we don't have a cure, and we don't need one. All we need is acceptance and understanding, which really shouldn't be too much to ask.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 11:09 pm

I'm not interested in any of those things. As a free range aspie, I choose not to be cured.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 11:12 pm

One more thing. I will not take any medications that will water down the intensity of my well-known special interests, thank you. :D